The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Don't tell her that, 4-yearolds don't want to be seen as babies and she won't like you for it :P

Andy, may I suggest to have a Thomas starter set in her next B-day gifts list ;)  She may grow out of it with the unicorns, horses and later boys, but it may also prepare her for a life her Mum has suffers, as a train-nutters wife :rofl:

:punish:

:jester:

She already has a Thomas set courtesy of her Grandad. Her favourite place is the Great Central Railway (or Luffbra as she calls it)

• Like 18

RVs, caravans, motorhomes. All the work of the devil. If I had my way the Landy would be equipped with laser guided surface to surface missiles in order to rid the world of these abominations. My extreme hatred of these "things" stems from far too many years of summer (and winter) mountain driving. What is it with flat-lander f*cknuggets that can't cope with the concept of 21' length limit? Picture a narrow mountain road, peak summer time. Gigantic signs with warnings about the road conditions and length restriction. But.... its a 20 mile short cut. What happens? Idiots who have never seen a hill higher than 20' are suddenly on a road with hair pin turns, narrow, and in several places a sheer drop of over 900'. They panic and freeze. Blocking the bloody road for hours as they try to either reverse or turn around and go back.

The UK isn't much better with bunglec*nts that drive their little cars once a week to get the shopping in and have no idea of how to haul a trailer or drive anything larger than a Fiat 500. Saw one such ######### on the M2 the other week. 40mph, white knuckled, hauling a trailer that was 4 times the size of the car, and in the bloody inside lane being undertaken by Polish lorry drivers doing 40.2mph.

I have nothing to add. Except: :triniti:

I got stuck behind one at the weekend that was the size of a very large British coach, towing a Cadillac with three motorcycles hanging off the back (of the motorhome). 

The most picturesque routes in the USA are still two lane blacktops (not much bigger than English ones) like the Blue Ridge Parkway (469 miles long) across the Carolinas into Virginia. Getting stuck behind one for hours is no f@#king fun.

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic

LED's nowadays - things have moved on.

IIRC mantles are radioactive!

Do you mean to say that my warehouse full investment of gas mantles is worthless?

Apart from breaking when one opened a window, a slight burning and fire hazard, not being able to see much by them, and being radioactive they were the cutting edge when I last stayed in a caravan.

Morning All,

It is quite a pleasant morning in this part of the world.  Not too hot, with light cloud cover.

Gas Mantles - Now there is something that takes me back.  When I was in the Cubs, we used to stay in a cottage in the middle of nowhere that was lit by gas.  Nobody seemed to worry about a bit of thorium then - and we are talking about the 80s.

Interestingly enough, Berlin has more gas powered streetlamps than any other city in the world, and Mainz had them in the old town until very recently.  There was quite an outcry when the current LED lamps were installed in the existing standards.

Have a good day everyone...

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Morning from a sunny Surrey.

Much rushing round the house sorting out updates on two Windows 7 PC's that refused to either install updates or install Windows 10 so I have carried out a factory reset and they have been doing the Windows 7 updates ready to then be able to install Windows 10.Fingers crossed they will all be OK when I get home. An older XP laptop doesn't have enough space to let it install Windows 7 which is a shame. My main PC is now updating to Windows 10.

All needs to be updated by tomorrow morning as tomorrow is the last day for free Windows 10

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Only too true.  

Research showed that only 1 square mile of land, howbeit  in plots of roughly 16 unit sites spread around, would be enough to sort what many people consider a 'problem'.  In the days when hop-picking and other seasonal occupations required 'manual' labour the GRT community members were  welcomed and did the job/  Their 'living' went with modern technology but the basic urge to travel remains but, common land became fenced off and so we have the so-called 'problem' resulting from NIMBY so many are sited in industrial areas which are not really suitable for satisfactory living.  Most of the comma city members are genuinely pleasant, law-abiding citizens but there are some, a small minority, who are not which gives the whole community a bad name.

A local man in court might get half an inch in a newspaper.  If he were a Gypsy, Romany or Traveller it would probably hit the front page as 'these awful people'.

It is an ancient traditional life-style  ... I'll leave it there.

Peter

Peter 

When I said about the signs coming in with the Travellers I was meaning the 'New Age Travellers' 

Don

Our non-motor home.

post-25691-0-20040200-1469687330_thumb.jpg

Usually called a travel trailer here. This one is set up to be very comfortable for two. It's fairly dinky by US standards

Locomotion is not a problem - my Dodgy truck has enough grunt to pull it up any mountain pass at the speed limit.

• Like 10

Mornin' all,

Bright, mild & dry in The Moorlands at kick off....new folding bike trialled around the short anticlockwise.

Options of what to do with my life now currently being examined.....

post-7795-0-95943600-1469688182.jpg

post-7795-0-71526600-1469688248.jpg

post-7795-0-45977700-1469688201.jpg

Now music by Hazel 'O' Connor.....Will you

Feathered ones provided for

Enjoy what you do

Dave

Edited by Torr Giffard LSWR 1951-71
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Morning everyone.

It's dry, it's a little bit sunny, but there are lots of clouds, oh yes and it's team meeting day.

Well, the best thing is I'll get a bacon butty out of it.

Back later.

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Not raining now but it did last night. Lawn looks green again!

I really don't know what I will be doing today. Probably more sorting through Matthew's room. I know a lot of the stuff in there has been stored by us but it does appear that Matthew may have located the National Collection of rucksacks there. While tidying I upgraded the PC he rarely used to Windows 10. It is much better now.

Tony

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from a sunny village though there are clouds around but not the forecast rain yet.   Yesterday was a good day.   I mentioned that I was off to the doctors, a very rare event for me.  The main reason was that Beth had got worried on holiday about the number and size of some moles on my back, thus I didn't sunbathe.  (I was actually given official permission to be a grumpy old git and sit in the shade reading my book, a brilliant result for me.)  I made an appointment as soon as I got home and yesterday got the very good news that they are completely benign and nothing to worry about.

Anyway a good evening was had at the clubrooms scribing cobbles.   Not sure what else will occur today as the source of the days agenda is still in bed.   I suspect that some ​modelling ​may occur at some point.

​Regards to all.

​Jamie

• Like 14

I have nothing to add. Except: :triniti:

the Blue Ridge Parkway (469 miles long) across the Carolinas into Virginia. Getting stuck behind one for hours is no f@#king fun.

Best, Pete.

That'd be the one with a speed limit never higher than 45 mph. Strikes me it doesn't really matter what you are stuck behind.

Ed

Top Gear tried to drive it and gave up.

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Mawnin' awl. We'll be off in a while for a visit to Ye Olde Countrie till Sunday – both for me to have a last look around our old home before the sale and my mum and dad moving to the Baltic coast, and for seeing how Elise's uncle is doing. He says he's been feeling much better recently though I suppose the chemo he will commence next week in addition to the other treatments he is getting will not go unnoticed.

Still and all, he and his wife have recently ordered a new car which they're expecting to take delivery of next week as well.

Thinking of everyone on here under the weather or in any other sort of dire straits. Later…

• RMweb Gold

A calm but slightly grey morning in the land of the Telf.

PH has left for work:  The Obergrumpenfuhrer is still abed, shaking off the cold given to her by her no 1 (and only) granddaughter.

Good  and successful work over the last few days has resulted in another car load of junk that is destined for the skip, including a gazebo that we picked up (for free) from the  post VFestival  site clearance about 5 years ago. (We still have other tentage in the garage roof from same:  It's amazing what 'yoof' think is 'throw away/disposable'.)

The gazebo had a damaged frame which I repaired, and after quite a bit of use, has now started to break in other places.  But since i have a bigger better gazebo, this one can now shuffle off with all the other bits of recycleable junk we are turfing out.

The garage roof still has a terrific amount of timber sheet and planking, pipes of various parentage, plus various bits of timber furniture that need evaluating. Then there are bits of a VW Golf and a lot of 7/8ths scenic items stored safely as well.

Our attic is similarly full of 'stuff'.  Ideally we need to upsize our house, which is the opposite of what retired folk are supposed to do.

I now have to try and make an appointment to see the doctor.  Normally I avoid the place like the plague.  The health centre is  a wonderful place staffed by really nice helpful people, and ruined by always being full of sick Telfs.  I use Patient Access to book my prescriptions which are then collected direct from the Farmersea.  My only need to go into the health centre itself is to get my eyelashes trimmed by the practice nurse.

Back to patient access:  Although I can book prescriptions on line, I am unable to book appointments to see a doctor this way, although the system should allow this.  Thus I am forced to spend long periods of time on the phone attempting to contact the surgery for an appointment.  It is either that or stand in a queue at the reception desk.  

Now this is possible on the return trip from the recycling centre, but I'll have to stand in a queue with Telfs, whom were the prototype for the fat,odourous, halitosis ridden, greasy haired rucksack wielding anabolics that you meet at any decent model railway exhibitions.

Of course such a queue does have it's advantages: I can fart in the queue and not be a suspect!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning, grey and cloudy here, have a funeral to attend at lunchtime, a guy I used to work with who has passed away at the age of 56.

Makes you think.

Hopefully some modeling will take place later tonight.

Enjoy your day folks

• RMweb Premium

Morning from Estuary-Land. Not much too do today except for a bit of shopping and checking out the motor caravan, also need to check out things like insurance which shouldn't be too much as I can add further vehicles on my car insurance at no great extra cost. A bit overcast at the moment but signs are it will brighten up before the next lot of rain. Thats it for now, be back later.

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Richard (HH) I do not advise upsizing - in our present house I have a  study (it's full), a 'library' (a load of shelves in a corridor) it's full, two sheds, a garage, and a garage room - and they're all full - oh and the attic is also full.  Simple rule - stuff expands to fill the space you have available, and then you pile more stuff on top of it.

Little cooler so far today and a cool breeze at present.  Off to Waitrose in Tilehurst at some time for the shopping and also to drop the Good Doctor's car in for an air outlet on the dash to be changed as we found - within in a few minutes of picking it up - that it was knackered.

Have a good day everybody.

• Like 11