Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×

The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Did you calculate the area of the hole using pi? or are you eating pie as well as the doughnut or instead of the doughnut?

It should be noted that pieholes obey a completely different set of physical rules...

And we've all heard of black holes - but are there white holes? Or pink holes or any other hue? Or, is it like the Model T, you can have any colour you like as long as it's black?

Straying into dangerous territory here!

Commiserations to the ailing and grieving.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Looks as if its going to be a scorcher today (and tomorrow) and then the inevitable thunder storms predicted for Thursday. The ground is still rock hard despite the bit of rain we've had recently so the hard landscaping is still off for the time being. Off for now, be back later.

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Morning All

Sun has arrived, and I will soon depart for town as lots of business to do there, and a 'spoons breakfast, perhaps if time allows.

Caught up, and posts all read, rated, and hereby greeted.

For the guitarists among us, try this for size - two first class Djangoists having a good time and not for an audience - fearsomely good playing from Herefordshire's finest, Remi Harris and one Bar Zalel.

Regards to All

Stewart

Edited by 45156
  • Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Better make a prayer that there are no photos!

Don

Calm down darlings

I said I'd get my Speedos, not that I was going to put them on.

Your senses of morality are untarnished and my Speedo seams remain un-strained.

it is our antipodean friends that refer to them as budgie smugglers, although personally, Condor keepers might be more apt

As my grandmother used to say I was more Holey than righteous, I thought I'd better gen up on the subject:

Of particular interest is the portable hole.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

40px-Wiktionary-logo-v2.svg.png Look up hole in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.

hole is an opening.

Hole or holes may also refer to:

Science Technology
  • Blind hole, a hole, usually drilled, which does not emerge on the other side of the substrate, unlike a through hole
  • Punchhole, a hole punched in paper, including punched cards and punched tape
  • Sound hole, on a musical instrument
  • Tone hole, an opening in a wind instrument which, when closed changes the pitch
  • Whitewater hole, a feature found in some white-water rapids
  • Touch hole, part of a gun or cannon where the powder is ignited
Construction Entertainment Music Games and sport Places Other See also
Edited by DDolfelin

I would normally suggest a fruit cage is best to protect your crop and would suggest using a wire mesh as birds can get caught up in netting. However I suspect a Bear would make short work of a fruit cage. Is it normal to get bears in your back yard sounds a bit dangerous to me.

Don

We’ve had two (Black Bears) wandering around the backyards of our New Jersey township so far this year, cue hysterical reaction of the Moms.

Officially the Police position is to do nothing - they usually wander off again fairly promptly.

As this is within 20 miles of NYC I can only speculate how often it happens in PH’s neck of the woods.

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 14

• RMweb Gold

I suspect in Physics Review Letters there are arguments about interactions between 13 dimensional holes. I think we didn't have to cope with more than 4 dimensions when I was a lad.

No bears in our back garden eating the fruit, just a spaniel. Though it wasn't Robbie that ate all the figs, just an influx of relatives from Enfield.

We were disappointed not to see the bears when we visited our friends in Connecticut a few years ago. Nobody seemed too frantic. The local police had an animal control officer and if the bears saw his truck they used to move on! Coyotes eating pets were a problem though.

Tony

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 14

• RMweb Gold

A pie hole is the space above the filling which you think is all filling from the size of the pie. This never happened with Mum's pies.

Ed

I seem to remember the term "cakehole" being bandied about years ago but we must live in more refined times nowadays.
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

As my grandmother used to say I was more Holey than righteous, I thought I'd better gen up on the subject:

Of particular interest is the portable hole.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

40px-Wiktionary-logo-v2.svg.png Look up hole in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.

hole is an opening.

Hole or holes may also refer to:

Contents   [hide

ScienceTechnology
  • Blind hole, a hole, usually drilled, which does not emerge on the other side of the substrate, unlike a through hole
  • Punchhole, a hole punched in paper, including punched cards and punched tape
  • Sound hole, on a musical instrument
  • Tone hole, an opening in a wind instrument which, when closed changes the pitch
  • Whitewater hole, a feature found in some white-water rapids
  • Touch hole, part of a gun or cannon where the powder is ignited
ConstructionEntertainmentMusicGames and sportPlacesOtherSee also

That obviously needs editing to include the two Yorkshire 'Oles' that I'm aware of.

The Coil Oil

and the pudding Ole that has to be left during a meal to accommodate the serious part later on.

Jamie

• Like 6

Hot here in Somerset. Strangely, I chose today to start my next batch of beer called Pilgrims Hope by Festival, but I might have to wait all day for the mixture to cool down to 24C before I can add the yeast.

I don't want it over-fermenting, as it makes the old advert punchline of "it's frothy man" look like a gross understatement.

I have ripening grapes, and must dig out the old Kodak Instamatic to produce photographic evidence.

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

The sunshine cometh - and it ain't 'arf hot out there (but that means the G word is duly knocked on the head).  However following discussion last night of this evening's culinary arrangements, and some doubt about quite when laddo will be here or doing whatever he does with his staff and client liaison at Waitrose distribution centre in Bracknell plus the good Doctor being at work later than normal to superintend the stackers of things on shelves, the good news is that the management will be making pasties.  So far the weather has not affected this important decision and in fact she has just this minute raised the question of whether we could get some paper bags so that we could sit outside to eat said pasties?  Which poses the question of whether or not on sensing pasty availability the local red kites will adopt seagull like behaviour and swoop down to help themselves in a rather more lively form of 'hand feeding'?  

BTW the way I refuse absolutely to donate my GNR Hotels paper bag to this idea of eating al fresco, and how the heck do you put baked beans in a paper bag?    And in view of comments on another fred thread (Stewart knows what I mean) maybe I should take some pics of the pasties?

With those interesting (?) thoughts I leave you to hopefully have a good day whilst I wonder if I will be tasked to buy a swede should the one in stock not be up to the job.

• Like 19

Did anybody else have a "glory hole" under the stairs? My computer lives there now.

Ed

Yes, we did - it had the vacuum cleaner in there and shoe polish/brushes and stuff. Plus it housed the electric meter, but illogically it is also where my mother could be found during a thunderstorm.

• Like 12

Yes, we did - it had the vacuum cleaner in there and shoe polish/brushes and stuff. Plus it housed the electric meter, but illogically it is also where my mother could be found during a thunderstorm.

Weren't that generation encouraged to go in the under-stairs in an air raid?

Ed

Or nuclear armageddon

• Like 9

Afternoon all

Not scorchio here, overcast, perhaps later?

Great jalapeño, Pete. You know what they say about men with XL size hands? Yep, XL sized gloves.

For the guitarists/music lovers amongst you, am going to see Wilko Johnson tonight at the book festival; should be good.

Hope your day goes well - and that you find the required shade, possibly wth something cold in a glass.

Mal

Edited by Purley Oaks
  • Like 16

Greetings all from an increasingly hot and sunny London Bridge.

When I commented yesterday to Mrs Lurker that this week is the last of the Cannon Street trains stopping at London Bridge, she didn't even feign interest. So I have come here to catch up instead!

Condolences to Dom and family

And congratulations to Pete. Either for the hands or the jalapeno or both!

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

I am indebted to Dd for his encyclopaedic exposé on holes.

I must admit I have been remiss in not clicking all his links, but, maybe not for the first time, would refer ERs to Rachel Heyhoe-Flint, lady cricketer of renown, who observed sagely that where male cricketers wear an abdominal guard, lady cricketers wear a manhole-cover. Since no lady of my acquaintance has played cricket, I must let her wisdom on this matter prevail.

Sometimes, stepping up to the plate carries an unforeseen price. Alison is in the Vendée, and needs to nurse her severely ailing Laguna back the 250 km to her home. She was planning to do so this evening 'in the cool'. Hah, bloody hah. It will still be 28 at midnight! So I suggested she travel first thing tomorrow, when things will be a little less fierce - and her lover is up and about milking his cows, anyway. Sadly her lodger, a Dutchman, needs a lift into La Ferté Bernard "early", to go home for a few weeks. So I volunteered to be there whenever he needs to go. I now learn he has arranged a lift for 04.50........

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Did anybody else have a "glory hole" under the stairs? My computer lives there now.

Ed

We have - very specifically included in the house plans (by me).  In brief summary it currently contains - Sewing machine and sewing 'bits' box; the hi-fi (wired to speakers in the living room and kitchen) which sits on a book case which houses CDs, DVDs and records; the reserve catering supplies (currently a bit down on quantity so don't tell Frau Merkel); two cat baskets; a firescreen not currently in use; the reserve wine supply (well down on quantity); a garden chair with seat cushions; my collection of 35mil transparencies; and various other oddments.

• Like 10