The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Jamie - I'm well excited for you. When is the move planned for?

A quick scan without my glasses on....................

The latest acquisition being a rather neat angle poise lamp which has migrated to my workbench  to replace a 1940/50 style draftsman's lamp.

Quite right, too. The day - I think it was 7.9.2004 - that Deb and I locked the house in Cranbrook for the last time, hugged the neighbours (a couple our own ages, both since deceased) and headed for the Channel Tunnel, was undoubtedly thrilling and rewarding. I hope that the uncertainty of Brexit doesn't mar Jamie's similar journey.

Lidl today, and some Easter cards to post. Sherry is a first rate correspondent!

Thanks for all the comments everyone. The date is set for late May 2018 which gives us time to sort out pensions and sell the house. Meantime we are actively de cluttering. Brexit, and Mme Le pen's utterances have been talked about but we still feel that there are more positives than negatives and if we don't go now we never will. It's a big move but Beth's health is so much better in the warmer/dryer climate that it's a no brainer. With her genetic joint condition a wheelchair is almost a certainty in due course and the better weather, which enables her to cycle regularly will hopefully put things off for many years. Cycling is almost the perfect exercise for her as her joints cannot overextend and there are no impacts.

HH a similar anglepoise is already attached to my modelling bench is the shed over there. I am due to go out there in a fortnight with a trailer load of stuff but only for a couple of nights before heading for a cemetery near Arras to mark the centenary of the death of my fathers cousin on the morning of the 23rd. I will have to procure some red roses as he was from t'other side of the hills.

As to the eye tests we are well supplied in the family with my sister in law being an independent mobile optician, and also very good at the job, but thanks for the advice.

The dentist found nothing wrong with my fangs and I got my hair cut so now it's time for the paper and the su doku.

Jamie

It

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Morning ish.

A dull day here, but dry.  Foot progressing well, feeling a bit more positive about the long term outcome now, it won't be a career in ballet, though.  Limping 100yds Olympics, may be.

I don't find the blue and yellow store to be too bad, except the particular one near a village known to some in ER's - the car park/entrance is like a dungeon, it is horrid.

It is good the see the Whelkmen arising from their winter slumbers too, they have been missed.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Sainsbury's visit was quite productive as not only did I find beer at a good price but managed to pick up a bottle of Hennessy Fine de Cognac for a bargain £31.00

Happiness is Bob shaped!  :imsohappy:  :yes:

• Like 15

Speaking of matters of the heart, how's the ménage à trois scandal involving that farmer neighbour of yours?

Between your 'will' and ODD's neighbourly 'menage a trois" we have quite a bit of excitement on here.

Between your 'will' and ODD's neighbourly 'menage a trois" we have quite a bit of excitement on here.

It's not my bloody Will. My Firm got saddled with the job of Executor because the deceased simply didn't trust any of his relatives....not that he was leaving them anything anyway! Property rich, cash poor, and Inheritance Taxes in both jurisdictions will take a mighty chunk out.

• RMweb Gold

G'day all,

Bright and sunny (through the thin cloud) so various seat coverings are being washed after being de-furred in the tumble drier, I will later be tasked to vacuum clean the remnants of cat fur off the floor plus do the rest of the ground floor in order to capture even more cat fur.  Various medical visits to come today - the Good Doctor is off to be chiropracted on her damaged back and i'm off to see Consultant No.2 (a plumber this time), both this afternoon.  So probably takeaway time this evening assuming we can escape the Reading traffic before the chippy shuts (memo to self - avoid the Portuguese run one as the new lot don't seem to know their cod from their haddock; on the other hand we could go to the Italian restaurant, which is run - rather well - by another bunch of Portuguese).

In the meanwhile - once I look at them - my instructions for an upcoming visit to a 'railway of local interest' in the Land of the Telfs are sitting in my email inbox; details to be arranged once Consultant No.2 has come forth with any views, requirements or w.h.y. and I know what dates I do or don't have a available.  Toronto would probably have been more interesting but that little trip now seems to have fallen off the back burner and into the land of the lost.

Oh and another RMweb member recently sent me a copy of his wizard circuit fir working a point motor, I wonder if Amtrak would like a copy?

Have a good day one and all

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

... Can you tolerate garlic and sunlight? :mosking:

Sunburn and "not eating anything with garlic" is more likely to identify British tourists than Dracula's relatives.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

It's not my bloody Will. My Firm got saddled with the job of Executor because the deceased simply didn't trust any of his relatives....not that he was leaving them anything anyway! Property rich, cash poor, and Inheritance Taxes in both jurisdictions will take a mighty chunk out.

As long as there is enough to pay your bill!

Don

As long as there is enough to pay your bill!...

Don't you worry about that. The net value of the Estate is, on my rough calculations, just enough to tip it into the 1% fees category.... *rubs hands in invisible soap*

Remember, this is all going towards the Citroen CX Purchase Fund.

Edited by Horsetan
  • Like 12

Quick trip to town earlier convinces me that the c@ckwomble motorbikers are out in force today.

I'd like to think that when they've broken every sane rule of the road to save a couple of seconds and rushed headlong for the Pearley Gates that St. Peter keeps them waiting for a good while just to teach them a lesson.  

Anyway, lovely sunny day here with 17oC predicted for the weekend. 

Nothing much planned apart from to plant up some Sweet Peas, make a bit of progress on the baseboard, sand down and varnish some of the house's woodwork....

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Speaking of matters of the heart, how's the ménage à trois scandal involving that farmer neighbour of yours?

Well. How long have you got? Remember that A has been 'seeing' Tom - married w two adult kids - for more than 4 years. No real dates as such, but lots of ooh and aah in his barn, in the small hours, or in one of his tractors in the open fields, also typically overnight - yes, farmers really do plough/harrow/sow/reap overnight at times. But over the years the exigencies of farming, an increasingly unremunerative activity in the era of the supermarket, had made Tom less of a catch, as he moaned, not just about her indoors, but also about the cost of this, the breakdowns on that piece of plant, the lower returns on his business. Approaching 50 didn't suit him either. So A despaired of him ever leaving home, and embarked upon an Internet trawl, via dating websites. After many, many rejected profiles (well into 4 figures) she stumbled across Gerry, who implausibly is also a dairy farmer. Divorced, mid-fifties, he seemed ok-ish, and they started seeing each other a year ago. He lives rather a long way away, in the Vendée, but they met most weekends. Recall that A has three youngish boys to look after, so that limits her mobility. All went well, including a week in the Dordogne last Summer with the boys, much enjoyed by all. In September, the local town was having a festival, and Gerry would be there that weekend. A - who hadn't mentioned Gerry to Tom - suddenly realised there was a chance she would be seen there with Gerry by Tom. So she decided to tell him that she had this new man - and the result was galvanising. Suddenly Tom was everywhere, including A's bedroom, much to her relish. Since then, Tom has been much more attentive, while Gerry, who has needed corrective heart surgery, has proved to be a little less than he seemed. That affair has fizzled, although he still comes to la Sarthe a couple of times most months.

But now it is crunch time. Last Friday, Gerry retired from the agri-co-op he has been part of for decades. He will be at A's place regularly, thus compromising her opportunities for clandestine events with Tom. Her heart belongs to Tom - but she and her ultra-green ideas need a capable man to help make the most of her 17-acre landholding, and Gerry has most of the skills. Interesting times ahead! Tom says he can sell up in three years, when the existing major loan for a robot-milking machine, taken out jointly with his wife, is repaid. Where they will all be by then remains to be seen!

• Like 10

Greetings from Long Island.

Nothing of note from yesterday. <yawn>

Today may be "fun" however.

The weather forecast tracking the last 12 hours has indicated/predicted/suggested/fantasized that there is going to be significant storm activity starting about NOW, through 4-5PM.

Some predictions suggested I should NOT have slept overnight, rather I should have built an ARK! So far, typically, it's just drizzling now, radar doesn't show a coming apocalypse, but just some "stormy" weather, so who knows.

Of course, checking the flights (hasn't he got ANYTHING better to do?!?!?), especially knowing that the plane used, LEAVES JFK for Palm Beach Florida about NOW, and comes back to then collect me, I note THAT flight is already running more than an hour late, having not even left yet. Good chance I won't be on time tonight <sigh>.

Currently 6 overcast drizzle, flash flood warning/coastal flood warning (wait a minute, JFK elevation is 13ft. above sea level and ON the sodding ocean?!?!? :O ) high expected to be 12, rain all day...

I WILL POE to get to JFK, from there who knows. Have yourselves a merry little Thursday.

Well. How long have you got? Remember that A has been 'seeing' Tom - married w two adult kids - for more than 4 years. No real dates as such, but lots of ooh and aah in his barn, in the small hours, or in one of his tractors in the open fields, also typically overnight - yes, farmers really do plough/harrow/sow/reap overnight at times. But over the years the exigencies of farming, an increasingly unremunerative activity in the era of the supermarket, had made Tom less of a catch, as he moaned, not just about her indoors, but also about the cost of this, the breakdowns on that piece of plant, the lower returns on his business. Approaching 50 didn't suit him either. So A despaired of him ever leaving home, and embarked upon an Internet trawl, via dating websites. After many, many rejected profiles (well into 4 figures) she stumbled across Gerry, who implausibly is also a dairy farmer. Divorced, mid-fifties, he seemed ok-ish, and they started seeing each other a year ago. He lives rather a long way away, in the Vendée, but they met most weekends. Recall that A has three youngish boys to look after, so that limits her mobility. All went well, including a week in the Dordogne last Summer with the boys, much enjoyed by all. In September, the local town was having a festival, and Gerry would be there that weekend. A - who hadn't mentioned Gerry to Tom - suddenly realised there was a chance she would be seen there with Gerry by Tom. So she decided to tell him that she had this new man - and the result was galvanising. Suddenly Tom was everywhere, including A's bedroom, much to her relish. Since then, Tom has been much more attentive, while Gerry, who has needed corrective heart surgery, has proved to be a little less than he seemed. That affair has fizzled, although he still comes to la Sarthe a couple of times most months.

But now it is crunch time. Last Friday, Gerry retired from the agri-co-op he has been part of for decades. He will be at A's place regularly, thus compromising her opportunities for clandestine events with Tom. Her heart belongs to Tom - but she and her ultra-green ideas need a capable man to help make the most of her 17-acre landholding, and Gerry has most of the skills. Interesting times ahead! Tom says he can sell up in three years, when the existing major loan for a robot-milking machine, taken out jointly with his wife, is repaid. Where they will all be by then remains to be seen!

Good grief.

OK, now it's become EVEN MORE unbelievable, fess up Ian, you're writing a daytime TV soap and test marketing it on us!!! :O  :jester:

• Like 1

Good grief.

OK, now it's become EVEN MORE unbelievable, fess up Ian, you're writing a daytime TV soap and test marketing it on us!!! :O  :jester:

Oh c'mon, this is huge fun. It brings out the voy.eur in us all. I've got a great title for Ian's romantic drama / farce: A Leer in Provence

Edited by Horsetan
  • Like 3

Dum de dum de dum de dum

Dum de dum de dah dah

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon, Just arrived back after an enjoyable fortnight away in the sunshine, lawns now need to be mowed however that can wait till tomorrow as I plan to spend some time in the shed with a couple of new train items which arrived the day before I left.

Given the posts above about the saga in rural France catching up on that will be high in the pecking order of things to do certainly above mowing the lawns!

Off to the supermarket now oh joy but needs must with an empty fridge.

Enjoy whats left of the day folks

• Like 12

It could become a board game. You have to guess which farm, which field and in what agricultural machinery what dirty deed was done by which farmer.

I'd call it Moodo.

Edited by lightengine
  • Like 3