The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

It may be less to do with the US market being less demanding and more to do with road surfaces in Europe being a lot better than in many parts of the US. Softer suspension helps to cope with some of the atrocious surfaces in areas where the winters really hammer the roads. The main northern East/West freeway here (Interstate 90) has "cart-track" grooves carved into its surface with the erosion caused by salt, grit and studded tires and it has to be resurfaced every couple of years.

Makes me wonder why oleopneumatic suspension didn't find wider acceptance in the US if their roads really are that bad.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Got piles of stuff for the charity shop, mostly books and clothes. As you would expect very little good news coming out of the disaster in Kensington though a baby thrown from the ninth or tenth foor was caught by someone and only suffered a few bruises. Senior politicians of all colours visited the site today, even those who would not have had any responsibility over the affair were given short shrift by the residents. TM visited but did not speak to any survivors, probably in view of the reception other politicians got probably as advised by her security people. JC wasn't harranged as other members of his party were but I would describe his reception as cool.

• RMweb Premium

Makes me wonder why oleopneumatic suspension didn't find wider acceptance in the US if their roads really are that bad.

Probably to complicated. Cars were made with the same suspension system as the model T Ford for over 50 years. If something broke it was easy to repair without sophisticated tools.

• Like 2

Evening all !

Decision time again - do I continue to watch the US Open until 2 am or switch over to the Tour de Suisse which isn't available live !  Always no sport or too much on Sky or Eurosport.  Of course the Tour de Suisse isn't live because something called the Tour de Sud is live. Reason ?  Tour de Sud is in France !!

Since Phil Mickelson, my favourite US golfer, had to withdraw as it clashed with his Daughter's Graduation, I shall switch to cycling.

Goodnight all, sleep well.  And thanks as always for keeping my sanity.

• Like 11

Evening all,

If you were to peruse the latest Backtrack, you will discover a letter from a certain Mr Foren.

I managed to be run over yesterday in Kew Gardens - by one of our our Stroke Club members in a mobility scooter! I seemed to have survived. But I'm still rough with the URT infection. Dose and bed, methinks.

Bill

I would think patents, cost/complexiy and the fact that you can achieve similar results with appropriate spring rates and gas-filled dampers. But definitely not as "cool". Is it true that Citroen is abandoning it?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening all. Managed to score a T20 match tonight for youngest Herbert. He reckons the Nursery Ground square was awful yesterday... 

Herself is still working on our trip to the Antipodes... in fact we are now on with the final leg around North Island New Zealand.

Sleep well all.

Baz

• Like 16

The main northern East/West freeway here (Interstate 90) has "cart-track" grooves carved into its surface with the erosion caused by salt, grit and studded tires and it has to be resurfaced every couple of years.

I would think patents, cost/complexiy and the fact that you can achieve similar results with appropriate spring rates and gas-filled dampers. But definitely not as "cool". Is it true that Citroen is abandoning it?

The fact that it was French was probably enough to put Detroit off.

Roads are highly variable from billiard tables to washboards. With our icier than usual winter there was a massive bloom in deep potholes here in February.

More than 10 years ago the studded-tyre ruts on Interstate 5 locally were so deep that they formed fast flowing water channels during heavy rain. I found my then car hydroplaning (at highway speed) driving in the ruts going uphill. Fortunately that section of road was redone years ago.

The fact that it was French was probably enough to put Detroit off.

Indeed. We'll 'ave none of that tat 'round 'ere.

This is real 'merican engineering (although actually owned by Italians). It's the front suspension of our Jeep Wrangler. Nothing much has changed in seventy years. Still has a solid front axle although the front springs are coil rather than leaf. ERs with Land Rovers should see some similarities.

post-25691-0-91879800-1497561633_thumb.jpg

EDIT: I thought Jeep had abandoned the fold-forward windshield on the Wrangler but I was looking at it and it still has the hinges. It now requires the removal of quite a lot of socket-head screws before it will fold and I don't think I'll be trying it.

Edited by AndyID
  • Like 14

• RMweb Premium

I do hope Arcadia IS open tomorrow, as I'll be in the area and it would be very rude not to call in.

Goodnight all.

• Like 9

Citroën have abandoned it already. The last car to be fitted with it, a C5 Tourer, came off the production line recently.

Citroën stopping oleopneumatic suspension is like Mazda giving up the Wankel engine. Those were the things that made both marques extraordinary rather than just ordinary.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

More sad news tonight from Castlemartin. Two Chaaleger 2 crew members have died in an accident the other two are badly injured. Not nice to be inside a tank if something goes wrong.

It has been a bad week.

Baz

Citroën have abandoned it already. The last car to be fitted with it, a C5 Tourer, came off the production line recently.

Citroën stopping oleopneumatic suspension is like Mazda giving up the Wankel engine. Those were the things that made both marques extraordinary rather than just ordinary.

And they kept the unsprung weight down by making the wheels as light as possible but I'm not sure how well it would do on chaussée déformée.

EDIT: Oops! That was supposed to be a reply to Jamie's post :)

Edited by AndyID
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Mawnin' awl. There seems to have been rain last night, only after I had already watered the garden, of course. :jester:

Shift today will go from 8.52 till 5.04, followed by a weekend off. Oh, and to give you an impression of the current summerly spell we're having:

20170615-_dsc1371_hdrjquki.jpg

1215 "Addis Abeba" surrounded by vegetation at the Exhibition Centre yesterday.

Cheers, everyone…

• Like 18

Good morning one and all.  Gosh, what a lot happens in two days away.  I have a lot of catching up to do.

In brief: Tuesday with Poorly Pal produced some ham sandwiches on granary bread and the last of his real ale chutney.  I found that the missing craft knife which I had replaced was, of course, in the tool box all the time.  Wednesday saw me on the road at 05.45 bound for South Wales.  The Little Chef at Burford, like all the rest, is doomed to enter the St*rb*cks empire.  Farewell, then, Olympic breakfast.  Pass me the new Wetherspoons directory.  I managed to avoid all the queues except those in Cheltenham.  By 11 am I was in Barry beginning a sentimental mooch and trying to remember what used to be where some new development now stands.  I found unleaded at a nice new Asda for 111.2p per litre.  After resting at the hotel on the north side of Cardiff I went to the slide show at Radyr which was the reason for my trip, made some useful [i hope] contributions to the discussion and communed briefly with Rolley major.  Yesterday I was on the road at 05.40 and sitting down to another Olympic in Burford at 07.10.  Rather than spend the rest of the day in a queue I headed via Chipping Norton, Deddington and Aynho towards Buckingham and MK, bypassed Bedford at speed and was in Huntingdon in plenty of time to meet my friend off the bus from Peterborough.  The account of what happened next will have to wait ...

This evening I head for London to attend a concert by Le Vent Du Nord, a fine band from Quebec.  Before that there are comics to read.  Bill, thank you for the heads-up re my letter in Backtrack.  Neil, the first time I heard that joke I laughed so much I fell out of my cradle.

Let's hear it now for BBC chief correspondent Matthew Price.  As if the horror of the Manchester bomb were not enough the poor man is now reporting on the tower block fire.  Boy is he made of stern stuff.

Warm thoughts to all in distress

Chris

• Like 16

I do hope Arcadia IS open tomorrow, as I'll be in the area and it would be very rude not to call in.

Goodnight all.

If Arcadia is open, don't take anything larger than a small kitten, especially if you intend to try and swing it!

I do suspect you might be disappointed, however.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I'm told it will be shut this Friday!

That all right, I won't be there till next Thursday...

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Morning all. A bit grey and overcast outside. This is not good as it means I must do battle with our Hawthorn hedge. Frabjoy!

I have a parcel to pack and post so time to get the show on the road.

Have a great day

Baz

• Like 1