The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

With the electric car thing I wonder if development will include replacement 'cells' which can be charged off the vehicle (or carried) while another is in use.

Or: Electric roads that move and the cars stand still.

Or: 'Trolley Bus' type feeds available to all.

Or: Better use of topography where the vehicles are lifted at the start of a downhill run.

I hear that a Company in Canada has micro chipped its Employees. A friend has just had a pacemaker fitted. Lots of folk I know have artificial hips etc.,.

Flesh seems to be on the way out. Already those with false legs can run within a second or two of Bolt.

• Like 13

Morning all and it's an overcast one here today.

Dd, I think the weight and size of the cells is quite significant and swapping them in an out is no mean feat. You'd also have to think about the time to charge them (not quickly if you don't want to damage them) vs the time to discharge them. Perhaps a pit stop service industry will spring up.  

Jobs today include a haircut for the youngest.

Option 1: do it myself for free. Banned after the last time I did this. 

Option 2: £10 and go to a professional, read the paper and drink coffee. 

Tomorrow we're going on an adventure; braving the M25 for a day trip to Leigh-on-Sea.

My rational for this, apart from visiting an elderly relative, is that with the long drive up to Aberdeen next week I may as well get some practice of sitting in a car for 10 hours.

Actually I just fancied seeing some of the old haunts. 

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Morning everyone.

Awoken by a house alarm going off at 5am. Went back to sleep when it was turned off at 5:30am to be woken by the road sweeper picking up unused road stone at 6:30am.

New road surface has ripples and dips in it. It won't last long.

We had a milkman with electric powered floats when I was young. They have diesels now. We can remove the Box from diesel fuel. Suppose they may need that as we are no longer electrifying the railways. Are diesel lorries to be banned as well? They do produce high levels of pollution.

Today is a catch up day. Hopefully my matches on Saturday and Sunday won't be too traumatising.

Have a nice day..Brian hope the meeting goes well.

Baz

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

I had the same problem at the surgery and couldn't get an appointment with any doctor for the same reasons. This was when I went Diabetic aged 50 following the family tradition (I knew I had I had all the sysmptoms). So I went to LLoyds the chemist got a diabetic test there, presented the confirmation on the desk at reception and suddenly got an appointment.

Since then I've never had a problem getting appointments..

• RMweb Premium

For this electric car lark, we're going to need as much lithium as we used to need coal, where's the holes in the ground, and who's been "cultivating" the local governments for control of said holes? Our friends in the Far East, that's who.

• RMweb Gold

I was sent some information (not sure why) telling me about the Mini All 4 Countryman electric with range extender engine. Not cheap though.

We need to seriously think if we really need two cars now

You will do, the second being the tug to pull back the electric one when the battery runs flat.

Also worth noting that Electric vehicles will have automatic transmission, so start practicing for a redundant left foot!

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Breezy and not raining so far today!

Dd, Our local librarians, doctors receptionists and post office staff are all lovely and helpful!

AndyB. Your old haunts in Leigh on Sea stand a good chance of still existing. Southend has changed a lot in comparison.

Tony

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

I had a call yesterday evening from the surgery following my blood test in the morning saying I need to make a (non-urgent) appointment. I was asked if I'd like to make the appointment straight away so of course I said "Yes please, with Dr. P. as it was her who sent me for the test."  

Receptionist said: "Sorry you can't pre -book her, You'll have to phone at 8.00 in the morning on the day you want to come in."

Me: "No point in phoning at 8.00, 9.00 or even10.00 - you can never get through. When you eventually do there are never any spaces left!" I want to see Dr P so can you sort it out please?

Her: "I'm sorry but there's nothing I can do."

Me: "Me neither then - goodbye"

The trouble is I better go and see someone because the reason for the test is that I'm borderline Type 2 diabetic and I suspect the reason I need to go in is that I may be even nearer or have crossed the boundary. 

As usual at the moment the bloody number is engaged. Even if I get through there will be a recorded message saying "Your call is important to us, please hold. Somebody will deal with you shortly." Repeated ad infinitum

CARP!

Write to the doctor concerned expressing your displeasure at the inability of the reception staff to get a pre-booked appointment as requested by that doctor, and ask for the issue to be brought up at the next Partners meeting.

It gives the practice manager what is in effect a severe bowel loosening episode all over the reception staff.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Back again after the delivery run, and have managed to get hold of my GP surgery with no great problem, as one of the issues that many of the 13,000 patients raised was telephone access, so they put in more lines, and also they allocate staff to man them early on - I was told that in the morning there are ten people manning the phones to deal with the rush.  I can now get my blood test brought forward this morning to 10 am, so I can then get something to eat - YAY.  I really do sypathise with my fellow ERs who struggle to get any sort of service from their GP practice, though I do know that the one I attend is probably far above the standards that many have to contend with.

TheQ  - thanks for the info about the charging points - about what I expected for this carp town - two at the University (a huge campus with about six car parks, so just finding them will be a challenge), one in the car park at a 4* hotel, and two in main car dealerships, one of which I visit as it is also the Peugeot dealer tound here.  Very interesting. 

Must go, as Sister Drac now awaits.

Edited by 45156
  • Like 13

Also worth noting that Electric vehicles will have automatic transmission, so start practicing for a redundant left foot!

Just like electric and diesel-electric trains, they have no need for a "transmission". They are always in the same gear.

Actually, Nissan is proposing a single pedal accelerate/brake system. I don't think it will catch on, but you never know.

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. On the subject of electric cars and recharging the batteries. There is a tram system in France (I cant recall exactly where) that runs through a very old part of the city and for aethstetic reasons overhead wires were banned, also safety regulations meant that any ground collection such as conduit or studs was also a no go. The solution was battery trams recharged by induction coils beneath the road surface at stops with no physical connection. This appears to be the way to go with electric cars with induction coils beneath driveways, parking bays and maybe even at traffic lights. With no physical contact and no neccessity to plug in it would eliminate the need for special charging bays.

• Like 2

Just like electric and diesel-electric trains, they have no need for a "transmission". They are always in the same gear.....

When Tesla were experimenting with their first electric car, the Roadster, they did try a two-speed gearbox but I seem to recall that they found even this unnecessary.

• RMweb Gold

Just like electric and diesel-electric trains, they have no need for a "transmission". They are always in the same gear.

Actually, Nissan is proposing a single pedal accelerate/brake system. I don't think it will catch on, but you never know.

I have a sneaking feeling that the majority of collisions in car parks which we read about in the UK press involving elderly drivers, have probably been recently converted to auto transmission.  they do not take any form of professional advice and end up using the left foot for the brake and the right foot for the accelerator instead of one foot operation where you are either applying power or positive braking.  

Getting people to get used to a heel and toe method of acceleration and braking might be a move too far.  I'm sure Nissan have got the idea from Lawn tractors which can be fitted with a one foot system.

Personally I reckon that Nissan are secretly trying to resurrect the Kamikazi.

Morning all.

Breezy and not raining so far today!

Dd, Our local librarians, doctors receptionists and post office staff are all lovely and helpful!

AndyB. Your old haunts in Leigh on Sea stand a good chance of still existing. Southend has changed a lot in comparison.

Tony

I took a look on Google streetview  and would agree. Remarkable how many businesses and properties are exactly the same. 

I went back about 10 years ago and, apart from a few alterations to road layouts, it was very much the same. 

My memory of it goes back to the late 60s when there was a coal yard on the London Road with a timber yard opposite. The timber yard is still there.

The garage down by Hadleigh Road is now a funeral directors. Intriguingly named "T.Cribb, Funeral Director". Presumably offering cradle to grave services! 

A Chinese chippy has however replaced the sweet shop opposite my old school. I guess children's diets have changed in the last few decades.

• RMweb Gold

I don't get it, all those complaints about GP's and stuff. I thought the NHS was "the best thing ever © ".  Apparently, it isn't :no: :rolleyes:

I'm not complaining about the NHS (which has been fantastic to me and my family) or the GPs. There are are six at our practice and I've seen all of them at one time or another and they are all great people who take a lot of time dealing with patients. One major problem is the popularity of the practice and there are too many patients, some of whom I suspect could very well be dealt with by asking a chemist for advice. Once you do get through they will fit you in if it's urgent.

I am  complaining about a system that means I'm not able to (easily) see the doctor who sent me for the test in the first place. I have now been online and made an appointment to see the senior partner (who I've known for about 20 years) next week and he will get the benefit of my feelings on the matter.  (And no, there weren't any appointments available online for Dr. P.)

And that's enough from me on the subject - I believe there is cricket on the box.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 2

I find it strange that one has to make an appointment through a hostile system to be in need of medical attention.

I'm sure that the obstacle course at surgeries is partly responsible for 4 hour + waits in A&E.

Now that there is a campaign to send us to Boots (other sales outlets are sometimes available) it gives the new young assistants some on the job training.

"You have pustules on your what?"

• Like 3

I have a sneaking feeling that the majority of collisions in car parks which we read about in the UK press involving elderly drivers, have probably been recently converted to auto transmission.  they do not take any form of professional advice and end up using the left foot for the brake and the right foot for the accelerator instead of one foot operation where you are either applying power or positive braking.....

I've always used my left foot for braking on automatic cars, merely to give it something to do.

• RMweb Premium

I took a look on Google streetview  and would agree. Remarkable how many businesses and properties are exactly the same. 

I went back about 10 years ago and, apart from a few alterations to road layouts, it was very much the same. 

My memory of it goes back to the late 60s when there was a coal yard on the London Road with a timber yard opposite. The timber yard is still there.

The garage down by Hadleigh Road is now a funeral directors. Intriguingly named "T.Cribb, Funeral Director". Presumably offering cradle to grave services! 

A Chinese chippy has however replaced the sweet shop opposite my old school. I guess children's diets have changed in the last few decades.

I lived in Leigh in '67-68, in a bedsit in Marine Avenue, having left home for a Civil Service job in Southend. I just checked Google Maps and that was the sweetshop I used to buy cigs at before getting the bus in. I used to go to gigs at The Elms and also frequented the pubs in Old Leigh. Summer Saturday nights were quite lively there with a lot of younger people drifting from one pub to the next holding their glasses and refilling as required. I believe the three pubs on High Street had a pool system for glasses so if one ended up with too many they were returned to the others next day. Nice to see they're all still open, and The Ship across the railway where Southend Folk Club met. Happy Days; hated the job though.

Lunch is now required and yet again most of the morning has been spent on the PC; I did start tidying the desk though as it gets used as a dump for small items that don't have homes.

Have a good Thor's day; he's predicted to make an appearance later. That's all I need.

Pete

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

G'day all,

Photo downloading underway so a thread might appear ere too long although so far I've only got to the second day but if you think you're having a rough day at work just think about the bloke in the pic I'll be posting below - enlarge it to really 'enjoy' the experience.

Anyway we're home and being faux Friday there's the shopping to be done - with a list that is going to stretch the limits of the Good doctor's car to convey it. It seems that two allegedly adult offspring apart from not managing much in teh way of clothes washing also have a strange habit of not bothering too much with food shopping notwithstanding their involvement in various parts of the food retail chain.  Or are we too ambitious?

Enjoy your day and if you suffer from mal de mer don't look at the pic

post-6859-0-69184400-1501156156_thumb.jpg

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

In a village in Wales they are probably the same person.

As an aside, did you know that Llandewi Brefi only has a single parking space?

It's the only bay in the village....

Exiting clad for bad weather

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

G'day all,

Photo downloading underway so a thread might appear ere too long although so far I've only got to the second day but if you think you're having a rough day at work just think about the bloke in the pic I'll be posting below - enlarge it to really 'enjoy' the experience.

Anyway we're home and being faux Friday there's the shopping to be done - with a list that is going to stretch the limits of the Good doctor's car to convey it. It seems that two allegedly adult offspring apart from not managing much in teh way of clothes washing also have a strange habit of not bothering too much with food shopping notwithstanding their involvement in various parts of the food retail chain.  Or are we too ambitious?

Enjoy your day and if you suffer from mal de mer don't look at the pic

attachicon.gifIMGP1300.jpg

Is that a man clinging to a boy?

This is a family forum!

• RMweb Gold

Britain's latest 'get rich, at someone else's expense, quick' scheme.  Call somebody who has solar panels and offer to 'service' them, or offer a new invertor (because, according to all the callers, such devices collapse after 5/10/15/7 years (time varies according to who calls).