The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Gordon S had a system thst sprayed jets of water when herons approached his fish pond. I wonder if it could be adapted for protecting areas of gravel?

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 2

I wish I was clever enough to make what I am about to describe. It is a self-aiming, self-triggering moggie repellent.  It comprises three high pressure steam jets linked to sensors which direct the steam to the location of the cat.  When the animal scratches the ground the jets home in on it.  The action of the steam lifts the cat from the ground and cooks it at the same time.  One unwelcome consequence may be an additional deposit of cat poo.

Chris

• Like 2

While I realise that some of the comments are tongue in cheek.  Please bear in mind that the cats in question are probably much loved family pets.

My two are indoor cats, but I would be absolutely devastated if anything happened to them.

Plus, harming or killing a pet cat is a criminal offense.

• RMweb Premium

We are over-run by foxes who live on the adjacent railway bank and nearby Thames river bank. We have a huge population of Sciurus carolinensis thanks to our abundant mature stands of trees. And we have one house cat who doesn’t go out. There are cats who roam here but the various species seem to keep themselves to themselves.

I know not everyone is fond of cats. I know their ways are to deposit waste away from home. We have the tray to deal with though thankfully (in a way) it’s in the en-suite and not the family bathroom meaning any unwanted aromatics are confined to the one room farthest from our entertaining areas.

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

My sailing club tried a movement detector which fired water at moving objects. The intended object being, geese nesting overnight on the club frontage.

It was removed because of many wet club members...

• Like 1

I'm not interested who or what they are, only that they are impacting on my life and the health of my grandson.

It's as simple as that.

How much more time, effort and money do I have to spend?

And yes, I have had cats, three altogether over the years, and a dog, I've also had a shotgun!

Alas I have none of the above now, I'm sure one of them would have provided a solution!

Edited by BlackRat

• RMweb Gold

I had success with my pump action Nerf supersoaker water blaster which has a range of 30-40 ft.  It took a while and a lot of waiting to catch the little perishers but the three culprits did not like being soaked and they do not visit anywhere near as much and now if they do appear on the fence or neighbour's garage and then see me they vamoose PDQ.

I also deposited tea bags soaked with a few drops of Olbas oil scattered around the garden which I'm told also helps.

I did think about a catapult but couldn't find the right ammunition which would carry far and fast enough but would not do them any physical damage as I quite like cats.

• Like 14

I've just found one of the water sprayers on eBay...£20 but if it works........

So time to splash out (again) but hopefully it will work on the moggies!

Otherwise I think I'll end up with a moggie fur coat......like Ken Dodds!

As a bonus it might work on canvassers and unwanted religious callers as well.

Must admit......never thought of the super soaker but that might be worth a try.

Wish me luck, it's a battle of wits!

Edited by BlackRat

The chances are, the super soaker will work.  Most cats hate getting wet - especially when they are minding their own business and trying to have a peaceful poo!

It may also be worthwhile spreading cocoa shell on the flower bed in question.  I have heard this can be effective.  Bear in mind - Cats will avoid it, but dogs may eat it, and like chocolate, it is poisonous to dogs and cats.

Plus, tell your grandson not to go onto the flowerbed in question.

Edited by Robert
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Definitely is a battle of wits. One night the security light came on so I crept outside, blaster in hand and stood for ages watching. The light kept going on and off and it wasn't till I turned round and looked up at the conservatory roof I saw the moggy I considered the top honcho just standing there looking at me. I swear the little sod was actually laughing!

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 1

Hmmm - That's unusual.

Chippings are one thing, but the lawn is not a common place.  I thought one of the local cats was sh1tting in our front Garden, but having seen the culprit one night, it turned out to be a marten.

Of course, another possible solution would be to speak to the cats owner, if you know who they are.  There are things that they can do to make their garden more attractive for the cat to poo in.  For example, keeping a freshly dug area in a quiet corner of the garden, or a litter tray inside.  Most cats will actually bury their poo given the chance, and a responsible cat owner should be accomodating.  Of course, this is no guaranteed solution because cats can be very stubborn animals when they want to be.

The other solution is to get a Jack Russell - you won't see the cat then!

Edited by Robert

• RMweb Premium

You won’t see me either if there’s a Jack Russell about. Call me a cat person affectionately or disparagingly but in my book “Terrier” is an abbreviation of “Terrifier”

Unless preceded with the description “A1X” ;)

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

In our front garden cats prefer the lawn. In the back they used to like flowerbeds. Even though Robbie is getting less active cats and squirrels walk round the top of the fences rather than cross the garden. A couple of weeks ago I let Robbie out of the car and instead of heading to our side gate he ran through a couple of gardens and jumped up a ornamental box shrub pruned in a ball shape. The owner of the shrub was amused. A cat had left a deposit on top of the shrub and Robbie had just removed it. Nothing wrong with his sense of smell, not sure about his sense of taste though.

I've had Kopi Luwak coffee before. It's not bad but over priced and over hyped. I've also had a coffee porter brewed with Kopi beans that was amazing. Sadly the increased sale of the beans has led to the little critters being caged and force fed to keep up with demand. Won't be supporting that cruelty. 

• Like 10

No 1 Jack Russell Terrier loved cats, children and any young ladies I brought home (I mean who would you prefer, the slightly gawky teenager or the dog with his head on your knee gazing at you with his big brown eyes?) He tolerated adults and most other dogs; fought German Shepherds; hated foxes. Well he came from a Somerset farmyard.

Bill

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

We have had success with Scoot. Its designed to repel foxes but it keeps the neighbour's cats out and our cats from climbing the fence. 

Staffordshire Bull Terrorristsiers are equally successful.

Edit:

I am late to this matter and since posted this have read back and now note all the other comments on effing cats.

Is a cat vermin?

To the gamekeeper it is, but is classified as a domestic animal so is protected by law*.

*Except in the Price Edward Islands where cats are still vermin!

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 2