Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Morning all and Happy Birthday Laurence.

Aditi is off to Brentwood for a haircut. I am not.

Our windows were cleaned this morning although the cleaners did need to borrow a Mole wrench first.

It is rather chilly here, sunny though.

Tony

• Like 15

...Camelot have ruined the National Lottery webshite. They have made it far too difficult, at least for dimbos like me, to check on recent draws. One could download a chart giving all the gen for the last six months but if this is still possible the way of finding it is buried very deep. Never mind. I shall rely on the terminal where I buy my lucky dips to check whether I have won anything and continue to look upon an answer other than 'no' as a pleasant surprise.....

Nobody wins anyway. Apart from £4.20 last week.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Bad as her situation is, it's still good news Debs is still around. More love and caring waves send her way!

John, if sister Jen is coming up with an address, it's probably best to 'distribute' it via PM and not this thread. But I reckon you'd figured that out already :punish:

I've got to disagree with you on that.

In cases such as this the one point of contact system works best.

I have Debs email address, but have deliberately refrained from using it at this time.

Debs has elected to use John as her point of contact, so it is best left that way.

The last thing poor old Sister Jen needs is being bombarded with well meaning but also irritating, time consuming messages from well wishers.

• RMweb Premium

A busy couple of days. Visited the deep blue lake in A mountain, seen 10 apostles....short changed....then tonight we went for food and beer at theGreatoceanroadbrewhouse. Excellent pint of black panther and a lovely stout.

Bit chilly here (20°C but very chilly breeze).

Tomorrow has a trip to the big city to return our much loved Kluger. Thursday night involves a trip to the Sherlock Holmes and a trip to sphere a mouse.

Hoping better health for all that ail!

Baz

still clinging on

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 17

• RMweb Gold

I've got to disagree with you on that.

In cases such as this the one point of contact system works best.

I have Debs email address, but have deliberately refrained from using it at this time.

Debs has elected to use John as her point of contact, so it is best left that way.

The last thing poor old Sister Jen needs is being bombarded with well meaning but also irritating, time consuming messages from well wishers.

I think the "address" potentially being shared subject to Deb's permission is a hospital postal address for cards or letters of a cheery nature.

• RMweb Premium

Morning All

Back at last after a none too good couple of days.  I had planned to get back Sunday, but just as the jobs domestic were coming to an end, I got a shout to come and see something.  "something" turned out to be a huge split in the kitchen drain outlet pipe, which was spouting waste water.  So a search of the garage looking for the duct tape, and just after I'd found it, and going back to the job, I espied a few feet of 40mm white drain pipe in a box of timber offcuts - result.  Except that after rebuilding the junction, it would not seal for some reason.  Tried to rebuild it a few times, with no luck.  Eventually took out the old rubber seal and reversed it so it squashed differently.  Finally a result, and another fifteen minute job consumed an hour.

Then yesterday after taxi and domestic duties, and getting some shopping in town (traffic absolutely diabolical due to closure of a major part of the one way system on Greyhound Bridge - former Midland Morecambe line - for more info on that, see Jamie's layout topic) and getting a new starter for the garage light as it was flickering and not catching, I decided to change it.  Would not fit in, and when I tried again, the socket for the starter broke off and went inside the fitting.  So this morning, had to dismantle the fitting, and try to repair it.  Got it working, but the socket will not go back, so it's sitting loose in the unit.  Again, a bit of problem with the putting back, as it would not restart,  Try putting the tube back, Stewart!?  Even then, try making sure it's seated properly.

Well, apart from that, I have to offer greetings again to Debs - sounds like she's had a pretty hard time of it all in all.  Likewise a special mention to Neil and Beth.  And of course, generic greetings to everybody else.

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Best wishes to Debs, Simon, Neil and Beth and any other ER's who are under the weather. Bright and sunny today but cold this morning so woolies on when I venture out later. Thats about it, be back later.

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Happy lunchtime one and all.

Happy Birthday Laurence.

Very best wishes to Neil and continued positive thoughts in Debs’ direction.

Off to do a little revision now as I have my Rules Exam tomorrow leading to the award of a Safety Critical (train despatch) Licence. Yes I know it looks as though we just wave bats and blow whistles but when can we do that - and when not? And what if the signal and repeater disagree? You’ve dropped your mobile on the track? I have to know how and when to respond. It’s not hard but it is essential and the training and competency has to be fully documented.

I’ll check in tonight before hitting the far-tzack. All the best.

• Like 19

You’ve dropped your mobile on the track? I have to know how and when to respond. It’s not hard but it is essential and the training and competency has to be fully documented.

I hope the answer to this one is "tough luck, wait til the train has gone"

• RMweb Premium

Tough luck till an authorised person gets clearance to go on the track...(I bet there is an authorised version of words you are supposed to use for that sentance)

• Like 1

Chewsday and morning greetings from Long Island.

Panic at the client yesterday with the arrival (long known about) of the annual audit team from some large accounting firm, I forget who they're from, but not relevant as they all are the same weirdly secretive folks! :O

I think they know they carry the plague, so eschew all interaction with pretty much everyone, and keep the door closed to the conference room they occupy about 95% of their time here.

Client #2 is wearing my patience thin - having ask (with appropriate screen shots indicating the issues/information needed/options NOT part of what I have) for specific credentials to connect to a database from a report, that DOESN"T show any of the connection details they provided, the "Senior Systems Analyst" I'm in contact with simply ignores the specifics and re-sends the original email with credentials that work for a direct database connection but NOT via this report - implying and in the LAST communication actually stating that "...I am guessing Ian is still confused...", no I'm not lady, the sh!t you provided isn't what I ASKED FOR AND NEED !@#%$!@#$!@%$!@% :rtfm:

At this point in my career, I very quickly get tired of people who don't read/listen, especially if they also imply you're an idiot, and will be contacting the project manager AND my boss today and explaining that unless the next communication includes respectful responses AND the information I need I will request to NOT be helping them further :butcher:

Wailing and gnashing of teeth this morning on the news, an inch of snow fallen/falling during rush hour here - pandemonium sure to set in. At least they have an excuse further out on Long Island, there's 3-4 out there...

My drive in, thankfully short and on local roads, was not affected, just had to get the snow off the car first.

-1 light snow, mostly stopped now. Expected to get to 3 for a high and another inch of snow later in the day.

Let's head on towards HUMP day with all speed.

Latest "stupid client tricks" update;

The email(s) also suggested we check with one of our other team members who'd accessed the system as recently as two weeks ago, AND copied them as a CYA (cover your bumhole) practice....

They just replied - WE CAN'T ACCESS THE SYSTEM NOW, CAN YOU HELP US PLEASE :butcher:  :rtfm:  :triniti:  - I sometimes refer to such as d!ckheads, but that's simply being unfair to d!ckheads :jester:

• RMweb Premium

Oddly perhaps that is not the case.

It depends where the phone has landed, the position of any items of electrical equipment (not least the conductor rail and any cables) and on the availability of suitably-qualified staff.  A simple retrieval from immediately adjacent to the platform edge (i.e. not in the 'four-foot" between the running rails) is actually done with a train stationary at the platform and after having notified the guard (or driver if a DOO service) that this is to be done.  If a train is stationary at the platform no other train should approach.  If one is trying to collect a dropped item from an unoccupied track there is a risk of a train approaching and being unable to stop, potentially striking the staff member concerned.

So not as obvious as it might seem.

If the dropped item lies within the four-foot, is within two feet of the live rail or if the live rail is adjacent to the platform edge (usually it is on the far side) then nothing will be picked up until a full occupation with traction current isolation can be arranged.  Likewise if it is not clear and safe to retrieve with a stopped train because train equipment may or will make contact with what ever is used to retrieve it then recovery is a no-no.  All platform dispatchers must be made aware of a retrieval before it commences so as to avoid giving any signal which might be interpreted as a tip to move the train.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Oddly perhaps that is not the case.

It depends where the phone has landed, the position of any items of electrical equipment (not least the conductor rail and any cables) and on the availability of suitably-qualified staff. A simple retrieval from immediately adjacent to the platform edge (i.e. not in the 'four-foot" between the running rails) is actually done with a train stationary at the platform and after having notified the guard (or driver if a DOO service) that this is to be done. If a train is stationary at the platform no other train should approach. If one is trying to collect a dropped item from an unoccupied track there is a risk of a train approaching and being unable to stop, potentially striking the staff member concerned.

So not as obvious as it might seem.

If the dropped item lies within the four-foot, is within two feet of the live rail or if the live rail is adjacent to the platform edge (usually it is on the far side) then nothing will be picked up until a full occupation with traction current isolation can be arranged. Likewise if it is not clear and safe to retrieve with a stopped train because train equipment may or will make contact with what ever is used to retrieve it then recovery is a no-no. All platform dispatchers must be made aware of a retrieval before it commences so as to avoid giving any signal which might be interpreted as a tip to move the train.

Aditi once dropped her bag containing her lunch and a small flask and it rolled off the platform. She immediately informed a member of staff who explained they would be able to retrieve it after the rush hour. She said she been worried about it derailing a train! The nice man reassured her it wouldn't. Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Evening all.  Still here - for another day anyway!  Thanks for the good wishes, hospital tomorrow morning for some more pre-op scan type things, 3rd (same) hospital appointment for pre-op things in 10 days - perhaps if they were better organised.....#sigh#.....then op on Thursday morning. 

Still thinking a lot about Debs a lot, but what a lady she is, worrying about me when she is so much more ill that I am. That she has had such a rough ride is more proof than one would ever need that life is unfair.  Humbling.

Evening all,

A busy day at work, but had time to chat with a couple of colleagues - on who spotted my copy of the N Gauge Soc. journal  - so we passed a pleasant few minutes chatting about "spotting days of our youf". Another colleague passed by and asked if I'd made any more purchases? "Nope, but I've converted a number of sheets of ply into, erm, dust for a train set that has little operational interest. SWMBO has suggested  I start again with something more interesting." Good decision, was his verdict. 

Best wishes to all who are ailing or going under the knife. 

• Like 15