The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Been for a trip on the trams (all are now free in the cod Rick) and a visit to a model shop underneath Rock's old place of employ. ( don't EVR complain of prices in the UK ....a Hornby Q6 was over £220).

Nice here, about 22C with lots of sun.

Not sure that we will make it to Ballarat tomorrow...an excuse to come back again methinks.

Sleep well Ers.

Baz

Trams have been free in Melbourne’s CBD for a couple of years now. Ostensibly done because the Powers That Be could not make the Myki ticket system work without a touch-off which would have effectively crippled the system. 100 passengers boarding at a single stop can touch-on as the tram moves away but when that number (which is quite typical) all tries to touch off on exit stop dwell time would potentially have doubled.

Some people also saw it as a move to eliminate the always-free City Circle tram which is the last haunt of the famous W-class trams. It is no secret that the franchisee has no interest in running these historic trams and considers the service a nuisance and a source of delay to their OPR-requirement timetabled services.

Hearns Hobbies, beneath platform 1 at the Palace of Attendance, is a respectable multi-hobby shop but is pricey because they pay CBD rent. Did you meet John in the railway section? He’s an expat and a long-time friend.

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold

Equally, as is so often the case, RMweb seems to be infested with the brain dead who are not only unable to read links but fail to understand them if they do - basically a further symptom of the same malaise I think.

If that's the one I'm thinking of Mike even I as a very no-nothing about railways sort of person read and understood it and can't understand why other people kept coming back with other theories about the structure particularly as one or two people did give you credit for coming up with right answer.

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

However I suspect these "brain dead" people went to school long ago. So perhaps it wasn't always an educational golden age in the past. I was in the A stream at primary school and went to a grammar school so it would have been easy to think most people could do "sums" with vulgar fractions or follow instructions.

At the school I went to there was so much attention given to the Rugby teams that anyone not good enough was just a target for humiliation. When Matthew was at school they still had teams but everyone was encouraged to do their best and helped to develop skills.

Tony

• Like 1

A propos of not a lot, I was looking at the Middleton's Bexleyheath and Sidcup lines book last night. They have an extract of the 1870 timetable. There was a train on the Sidcup line timed to depart London Bridge at 5.39pm. Its arrival time at Sidcup 6.02. My normal train home from LBG is 17.39. Timed arrival at Sidcup.....18.04. So much for progress!

• Like 5

BIN day - the Mrs doing those honors today as I'm away.

NOT that I haven't had the opportunity to see them in action today. The route I take from the hotel to the client includes mostly local roads, and one particularly long portion of the route has Thursday as BIN day, as evidenced by BINs scattered all over the place and NY BIN trucks commandeering the roads. They do whatever they please, including taking the wrong side of the road if there's even a minor backup. Best to be avoided and CERTAINLY NOT to be argued with. :O

#2 client - the one with the argumentative uninformed staff who suggested I was confused about how to do sh!t - sent me THIS communication yesterday afternoon late;

"Hello Ian,

I am having the same issue with this crystal connection on the **** server itself..."

and THEN provided some details and suggestions for me to try as other options. Funny, seems I told them at least THREE !@#$!@#%$!@#%$ TIMES already that it didn't work and we need to try something else :triniti:  :rtfm:  :butcher: 

Then again, why listen to the hired expert/consultant, when you can fumble and stumble for three days before reaching the SAME !#%$!@#%!#@%$!@#%$ CONCLUSION yourself?

Polite company and some small remaining measure of professionalism prevents me from sending them back a communication comprised entirely of expletives and what they should do with their "connections" :jester: 

Long Island client leaving me alone as they rush around in abject panic over getting the appropriate documents to the "auditors" today.

Right, calm and quiet day then, and POE so I can catch the homeward flight from <shudder> JFK late afternoon. No signs of reasons for any delays so far, so here's hoping...

2 and cloudy, expecting 6 for a high here.

Contrasted with -20 (right now) with a RealFeel of -35, back home, high there will be about -14 and that'll coincide with when I get back :O 

Here's to all the BIN folks, hoping they service your needs best they can...

Edited by Ian Abel

• RMweb Gold

Some of what Ian (the Abel Ian in case there is Ian confusion) reminds me of so many IT related conversations I had years ago. For some reason I remembered a very strange request from the Borough IT adviser. I was to go down to a school, not one I usually went to as they didn't have Windows based networks. I would be given a set of written instructions and I was to follow them. These turned out to be instructions to access the school's admin system. This all seemed a bit "Secret Squirrel" to me, though I did say others knew more about that system than I did but I did go.

So I sit down in the Director of Studies office, enter the instructions on the paper and access the admin system. Clearly this was a surprise and I got a "how did you do that?". I said I had followed the instructuons. It turned out the previous person who looked after the finances had left and hadn't been too happy about it. He had been supposed to provide access instructions and in fact had done so. They were planning to take legal action against a totally innocent person! What was the fault? They hadn't read the first instruction which was to mount a drive for access. Being ignorant about Acorn Econet I just followed the instructions rather than assuming something.

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 17

• RMweb Premium

' Afternoon all from red dragon land.

Wot's this St Valentine's Day thing, then?  :jester:

Oh, yes!  It is that

GREAT BIG RED :heart_mini: :wub: :heart_mini:DISPLAY

you bump into  :banghead:  on your way into the store to do your week's shopping.

Now where have they put the BIRTHDAY cards?   :search:  :dontknow:   :help:

Oh! Is that all there is?  :protest:

Yep! All I wanted was a birthday card.   Thinks....Must remember to post it in time!

I always have the same trouble finding birthday cards in December.  I wonder why?   :scratchhead:

Edited by southern42

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

I've had a most frustrating time, over the past few days, thanks to poor quality control at whomever supplies Aldi with their Workzone products....

Example No. 1: The laser level did not work and, after spending some time assembling it, I turned on the drill press on to no effect. Opening up the head I found that the drive belts weren't slack they were absent in their entirety ! So back to Aldi with receipt in hand and defective machine in tow...

Example No. 2: I opened the box, checked the head for drive belts (all present and correct) and laser level functionality (yep!). So machine was duly assembled, plugged in, start button pressed and the entire workshop plunged into darkness as the fuses blew... So back to Aldi with receipt in hand and defective machine in tow...

Example No. 3: All bits present and functional, assembled, plugged in and turned on & everything rumbled along quite nicely. However! (yep, folks, there IS a however) the drill table was not level. So taking a huge Allen Wrench (not supplied) I tried to loosen the tightening screw. Despite me putting my entire weight onto the Allen Wrench NOTHING budged! Finally, after after using my entire body mass leaning on the drill table I manged to get the damn thing level. Given that I don't plan on doing any odd angle drilling, the locked in drill table is not a problem. But I would would dearly love to learn how I can loosen up the screw. Any thoughts??? (I reckon that the worker mounting such items with a power wrench must had a bad hair day or summat when he/she assembled this particular model).

Well, that's all the news that's fit to print.

Bis Später

iD

My drill press looks very very similar to one sold by Aldi as recently as last year. However mine doesn't have a laser level. Adjusting the table angle is achieved by slackening a large bolt under the table. No Allen keyed type fastener. I haven't needed to adjust it yet as it is level.

Edit.

Found an image online.

Part 26 on diagram

post-6719-0-07266800-1517506971_thumb.png

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

A propos of not a lot, I was looking at the Middleton's Bexleyheath and Sidcup lines book last night. They have an extract of the 1870 timetable. There was a train on the Sidcup line timed to depart London Bridge at 5.39pm. Its arrival time at Sidcup 6.02. My normal train home from LBG is 17.39. Timed arrival at Sidcup.....18.04. So much for progress!

This seems to be a standard sort of blight on suburban services.  Our peak service (connecting off our branch train) is faster than it was years ago but the daytime off-peak service shows a less than amusing tale in the post-steam age. thus -

Day time off-peak journey time from London on the regular service pattern -

1963 Summer timetable - 66 minutes  (for 36 miles but it includes a change of trains). First generation dmu

1966-67 Winter timetable - 62 minutes - first generation dmu

2016  Summer - 66 minutes - second generation dmu   

2017  Summer - 66 minutes - second generation dmu

2018 January - 68 minutes - second generation dmu on branch, Class 387 electric on the mainline.

The branch (5 miles, two intermediate stops) running time has been amazingly consistent at 12 minutes for over a century through two generations of steam engines and three generations of diesels.  It was in fact 2 minutes quicker in broad gauge days but there was then only one intermediate station.

• RMweb Premium

The wind is howling from the north, it's chucking it down, it was sleet earlier. That super moon has lead to extra high tides. The flood gates are shut. I think they'll stay shut for a couple of days.

The A47 has been shut all day due to a double lorry crash. People were stuck in Tescos car park for hours, unable to even leave their parking space as the traffic tailbacks caused gridlock.

Got my ears bent at the bank, about going for online banking, and giving them my mobile number. I pointed out, by using the bank I was saving her job and I don't have a mobile phone.

Me I'm warm, happy at not going anywhere. Looking forward to a Highland Park.

Oh wonderful the seaweed botherer is forecasting snow next week...

The branch (5 miles, two intermediate stops) running time has been amazingly consistent at 12 minutes for over a century through two generations of steam engines and three generations of diesels.  It was in fact 2 minutes quicker in broad gauge days but there was then only one intermediate station.

Presumably the limiting factor is the number of stops and the time required for humans to clamber off and clamber on.

The acceleration abilities of electric traction may be the only thing that can improve suburban services with many stops, and while efficiency is far greater today, raw performance of electric traction probably isn't much different in the century or so it has been in widespread usage.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Presumably the limiting factor is the number of stops and the time required for humans to clamber off and clamber on.

The acceleration abilities of electric traction may be the only thing that can improve suburban services with many stops, and while efficiency is far greater today, raw performance of electric traction probably isn't much different in the century or so it has been in widespread usage.

The biggest problem is that some linespeeds on the branch have been reduced - not great in terms of extent but the reductions are precisely where they hit acceleration and braking thus costing time.  But despite that a 16X unit can still knock a minute off the booked times, and driven with a bit of flair it could knock off even more.  Judging by their performance over 5 miles non-stop I reckon a 387 electric could reduce the time to a reliable 10 minutes but it would still need a grown up approach on linespeeds which is asking rather a lot of NR (who claim they don't have any money).  Anyway Grayling 'deferred' our electrification - politico speak for cancellation - but all down in reality to NR incompetence on the GW electrification.

I had hoped that someone on ERs would have trawled the depths of their immense knowledge about machinery/engineering/tools

A sensible approach would be to increase your mechanical advantage by obtaining a set of Allen keys that fit on a half-inch drive breaker bar. My preferred method is to extend the Allen key by sticking the long end into a stout piece of steel pipe :)

• Like 3

Evening all,

Just collapsed on the sofa and watching Countryfile.

The wildlife programmes of my youf regularly showed animals that were injured or orphaned and let the cameras keep rolling, no-one intervened and the animal might well die or be taken by a predator. 

Seemingly not nowadays. 

"Ooh, the badger we named "David" is limping and seems to be injured - we better get a vet out to it later."

So, I guess we won't see footage of said badger being taken by foxes then. 

<Rant off> 

• RMweb Gold

Evening all,

Just collapsed on the sofa and watching Countryfile.

The wildlife programmes of my youf regularly showed animals that were injured or orphaned and let the cameras keep rolling, no-one intervened and the animal might well die or be taken by a predator. 

Seemingly not nowadays. 

"Ooh, the badger we named "David" is limping and seems to be injured - we better get a vet out to it later."

So, I guess we won't see footage of said badger being taken by foxes then. 

<Rant off> 

Excuse my cynicism, but most of these nature programmes are probably made in a big studio/tank made to look like the habitat the creature would normally dwell in.

David the badger is really a stunt badger whose limp is the result of a nasty tumble after one too many 'Old Prickly's' at the 'Black Cock Inn'.

How far's that I hear you ask?

Just up the hill from what used to be Penrhos Junction actually!

• Like 2

I don't think this one was staged in a tank.

• Like 11