RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, Kingzance said:

As a work colleague used to say "vote early and vote often". I am a firm believer that we should all be required to vote but that we should have a further option on every ballot paper - that marked "None of the above"!

I agree with compulsory voting. Dread to think how low turnout is going to be for today's local elections and the seemingly futile European elections later in the month.

You would not think that a "none of the above" box was necessary. But I have had the responsibility of checking ballot papers and some efforts to spoil a ballot paper are bizarre and not clear at all. Returning Officers have certainly counted some that I would not have counted.

Edited by Joseph_Pestell
Add
  • Like 11
  • Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

I agree with compulsory voting. Dread to think how low turnout is going to be for today's local elections and the seemingly futile European elections later in the month.

You would not think that a "none of the above" box was necessary. But I have had the responsibility of checking ballot papers and some efforts to spoil a ballot paper are bizarre and not clear at all. Returning Officers have certainly counted some that I would not have counted.

I was chatting to one of the leaflet deliverers last week and she said it could be a record low turnout for this area. We have decided to go soon rather than wait until this afternoon. The polling station for the adjacent ward is the school near us. We have to walk past it to get to the polling station for our  ward. We vote in the foyer of the Catholic Church. It has plenty of parking but I don’t predict a queue today. 

Tony

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium

A definate lack of fire starting material this year, only one leaflet recieved and that was from the orange lot, at least the paper isn't too shiny this time...

I drop into the next village's hall to vote on the way home from work, that's about 2 miles from home.

Only 1667 days till I have to make a special trip out to vote, when I've retired..

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. The bin wagons dawn chorus this morning was added to by the road repair gang visiting my street to repair some of the potholes that keep appearing like a rash. Only problem was they closed of part of my road therefore denying access to the bin wagons, you couldn't make it up. I too have already cast my vote by post and I will also vote in the Euro elections which should be interesting as the parties at the extremes of the argument can't even agree among themselves. Belated birthday wishes to KZ, thats it for now, be back later.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

Afternoon awl,

Back from attaching the doors to a shed; in 7mm of course.  Welcome back to Mike and (briefly) Jamie, although I doubt if the latter will get much internet time!  Congratulations Jamie.  Now off to donate a pint of the red stuff; according to the paperwork this is number 94.  It may be going to Sutton .....

No voting in London today, but it should be very interesting in three weeks time.  The fence that Corbyn is sitting on may prove to be a chevaux de frise.

Keep well all, Bill

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, lightengine said:

A few years ago the council announced that the beach "award" scheme was under threat because birds roosting under the pier poo in the water. 

Is that why so many seaside towns have mysterious pier fires? 

One local beach had a cleanup some years ago. Of course someone wrote to a local paper claiming the tidying had changed the essential nature of the beach. Put it this way, before the tidying I would not have walked my dog on the beach. 

• Like 15
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, SouthernRegionSteam said:

...On top of that, the banner I drew for our show will be arriving at some point today...

If only! Got a delivery time for between 11.30 - 12.30am. Then got delayed 'til 2.30pm, and now they've just rung to say it'll be here at some point tomorrow, but as they're an all-day delivery service, they can't tell us even a rough time. Which means:

... a large number of us will be doing a surprise visit to the building site he's at where we will then have lunch at the neighbouring cafe. 

...will not be happening as we've been waiting for this parcel instead. Oh well, on the bright side I've got some model-making done; so it's not all bad news!

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Premium

A'noon.

If you think RMW is slow, you want to try it in a ferry in the middle of the Irish sea!

On our way home, not that we want to, but work for us both beckons.

Congrats to Jamie and his family.

I was reading the posts about the free prescriptions over 60, and checked out Fraggle Rock rules as I still pay on an annual basis - we have to be state retirement age. Boo hoo.  Ever worse is the fact that they no longer send out renewals for the annual thing as they have made all the relevant civil servants redundant.  The result of that was that I had several months with out a valid card.....so I got my prescriptions free - no-one ever checks - so where is the saving here if everyone doesn't renew in time?  There will be a lot of folks who didn't know renewal notices had been discontinued, as they didn't tell anyone. #sigh#

Had a nice visit to the Ratty yesterday, saw a friend who has just become permanent paid staff there, currently relief driver - nice lad.  Spotted a bloke I thought might be Simon, but reading his posts he was elsewhere.

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Went up to lay down on the bed for forty winks after lunch and it turned into about eighty winks. Arthur Itis then woke me up to tell me that its going to pour down about ten tonight. Good news is than I've found a suitable baseboard for the 'Mini-Micro' layout in Tess Coe's. Its a wooden place-mat about 6 mm thick and is the perfect size. Thats it for now, be back later.

• Like 17

Cruise-ship, measles, what could possibly go wrong?

The vaccine didn't exist when I was growing up. I don't think I had the measles although like most my age I did get mumps, whooping cough and German measles.

• Like 10
  • Agree 5