RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Lemster, I thought - but I spent a few years of extreme youth in Shrewsbury so perhaps that's the Shrewsbury pronunciation. 

And that's Shrose-bury not Shrews-bury. It's not a rodent cemetery. 

The Shrewsbury pronunciation depends on whether you’re posh or a peasant. Me?

p.s. about six miles out of Salop there’s a tiny village of Roden. The residents can refer to themselves as Rodents.

Edited by Northroader
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Northroader said:

The Shrewsbury pronunciation depends on whether you’re posh or a peasant. Me?

p.s. about six miles out of Salop there’s a tiny village of Roden. The residents can refer to themselves as Rodents.

Barnoldswick (ex West Riding, but now Lancashire.....)  is usually shortened to Barlick.

And yes - they are Barlickers………………..

• Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

It seems as if a lot of water has passed under the ER bridge over the last day or so - to the extent that the best I can offer here is the usual generic greetings.

Yesterday, builder came and went, as he had a property that he was working on which when he went up on the roof needed a lot more doing than intended, and he had to get back to it as he'd left the ridge tiles off - but he wanted to come down and have a look at the painting job here and get a feel for how long it would take - he's now coming Monday once he's got the scaffolding erector at the said property, which of course has to take priority.

Now then, I have a question for the technologically inclined ERs.  30747's work has recently got an Amazon Echo and Alexa, and she wants the same here as she thinks it "might be useful".  Do any ERs have such a device, and of so, do they use it, and is it really any good - also it's not clear whether the service is free, as I have seen two conflicting pieces of advice on that - one say that you need to take an Amazon tunes subscription at £9.99 a month, and the other saying that it is optional to have that, and the basic Echo and Alexa assistant are free.  I visited a few of the usual web pages, so don't need any links, just opinions on its usefulness and cost.

Thanks

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon awl, 

Trailer door sanded and undercoated. 

SWMBO broke her electric stapler ( for upholstery).  Trigger switch repaired,  now glue  setting over night. 

Landrover cleared, some of it was clearing the MRC of rubbish, one box of supposed cardboard rubbish was heavy,  found Thomas Christmas lights in there,  will test them sometime. 

Landrover partition hatch, hinged. 

SWMBO wanted board made for her wool Carder,  done.

Staple for tin shed padlock fitted

Landrover fan belt adjusted. 

layout board assembled,  ply edged foam  with timber corner inserts glued and screwed. Now setting overnight.

Trailer door sanded,  first top coat applied, 

Ben walked.. On beach.. 

Whisky o'clock declared.. 

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Match umpired..GSAL U14s overcame the opposition reasonably easily.

Now waiting to go for some tea, beer then Mark Knopfler Concert..

Baz

• Like 17

4 minutes ago, bbishop said:

Afternoon awl,

I didn't mention it earlier (superstition) but it was my CFR revalidation today.  It's quite tough, a scenario then questions on the illnesses we may attend (diabetes, stroke, seizure, shock, choking etc).  Anyway, I passed so the inhabitants of South East London must cope with me for another couple of years.

Home and cracked open a beer!

Keep well awl, especially those of you in S E London.

Bill

Congratulations to “The Bishop”. Enjoy the well deserved beer.

• Like 2
  • Agree 16

• RMweb Gold

I thought it may be an idea to update the maps for my car’s satnav. 

I haven't done it before as I haven’t really noticed any strange suggestions for routes.  It isn’t a last minute thing. You need a PC, Windows or Mac. You need a 32 Gb USB 3 memory stick. You also need to know what to do when the download downloader app doesn’t run.  Surely someone else with all these cars must also have Windows 10. The onscreen advice is to go to the Windows App Store. Nothing there. Some of the other error messages implied to me that it was an access rights issue. So I downloaded the downloader and ran it as administrator. This isn’t  a good thing really, it shouldn’t require computer knowledge to download a map. It also takes over an hour. Goodness knows what happens when I stick the  usb stick in the car. Apparently the engine must be running while the update happens. And while that happens the navigation doesn’t work. 

This map update is for the whole of Europe plus various places that are certainly in Eurovision but not Europe. Australia would be a paid for extra though. Fortunately I won’t be driving this car outside Europe.  

Tony.

• Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 45156 said:

Now then, I have a question for the technologically inclined ERs.  30747's work has recently got an Amazon Echo and Alexa, and she wants the same here as she thinks it "might be useful".  Do any ERs have such a device, and of so, do they use it, and is it really any good - also it's not clear whether the service is free, as I have seen two conflicting pieces of advice on that - one say that you need to take an Amazon tunes subscription at £9.99 a month, and the other saying that it is optional to have that, and the basic Echo and Alexa assistant are free.  I visited a few of the usual web pages, so don't need any links, just opinions on its usefulness and cost.

Very sadly, I have to report that we have an Echo Plus with an Alexa. I say sadly because I fear that we are already well beyond 1984 in terms of Big Brother watching us and Alexa is certainly that with Mr Bezos's minions tuned in to our every conversation. The Kingzance household has an Amazon Prime subscription (£76 p.a.) so that I don't have to pay for many of the deliveries ordered by SWMBO. This subscription includes Amazon's equivalent of Apple's i-Tunes. When setting up your new friend with elephant ears, you need to link it to an Amazon account and the intention is that you will have or take out a subscription to their services (they don't really want to rule the world, do they). As to sound production, it is quite good but lacks the "tunabuility" that a purpose-built digital radio such as our now-redundant Pure device possesses and so I find the bass is a bit over-present as SWMBO listens to her favourite Radio 2 daytime programmes in an attempt to convince herself she is NOT a pensioner. I try to avoid same by gardening, walking, diy, golf, photography, car-cleaning, modelling etc, in fact anything to get me away from that station!

Besides all that, I feel like a right cockwomble when I saw "Alexa, play xyz (piece of music or radio channel." They say that talking to yourself is the first sign of madness, I am returning to my corner to tell myself I am really quite sane and I shall not be listening to the lyrics of Pink Floyd's track "Speak To Me".

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Gold

Re Tony_S's issues, we have an integral sat-nav in one car and a suction-mounted one in the other. That device was lovely when new (2008) but has subsequently refused to operate unless within a close (30 mile?) radius of your destination - as much use as a chocolate fireguard! As I spent many years travelling in the course of work, I am not averse to finding my own way and memorising routes.

Edited by Kingzance
  • Friendly/supportive 14

4 minutes ago, Kingzance said:

Besides all that, I feel like a right cockwomble when I saw "Alexa, play xyz (piece of music or radio channel." They say that talking to yourself is the first sign of madness, I am returning to my corner to tell myself I am really quite sane and I shall not be listening to the lyrics of Pink Floyd's track "Speak To Me".

We have a full Sonos network in the house. Deliberately without voice control. As I normally work from home and some of the clients we have are rather sensitive, there is a ban on voice active devices, which suits me just fine. 

As for Mr Floyd, I’m more Comfortably Numb at the moment, 

• Like 15
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 45156 said:

I visited a few of the usual web pages, so don't need any links, just opinions on its usefulness and cost.

Have they solved the problem (feature?) with the voice recognition not recognising some regional accents?

Tony

• Like 10

5 hours ago, newbryford said:

Pendle Hill in Lancashire is also Hill hill Hill

I can only see two hills there!

Edited by JohnDMJ
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, Kingzance said:

Re Tony_S's issues, we have an integral sat-nav in one car and a suction-mounted one in the other. That device was lovely when new (2008) but has subsequently refused to operate unless within a close (30 mile?) radius of your destination - as much use as a chocolate fireguard! As I spent many years travelling in the course of work, I am not averse to finding my own way and memorising routes.

The built in sat nav is actually very good, and the support apps for entering data  prior to getting in the car are useful. However there are some really irritating things to do with updates as I described.  Also although the maps are great the voice doesn’t sound as good as the system in the previous Land Rover. When listening to English instructions when in Germany the reading of German places with English accent is confusing. Next time I may switch it to German and see what happens. 

We have a stick on Tom Tom we bought for a trip to Canada as it was almost  cheaper than hiring a sat nav. However it probably wasn’t really necessary outside Calgary. If we had stayed longer in Calgary it probably wouldn’t have been necessary either. 

Tom Tom device refused to update on my pc last week, worked perfectly on Aditi’s PC. Both Windows 10 devices. 

Tony

Edited by Tony_S
Forgot something.
  • Like 16

I can't decide whether I need to pop down to the station and salute whilst waving the Union flag as the 18.03 Paddington passes through.  I was on the platform in the 70's when the 1st HST came through.

Edited by lightengine
  • Like 16

2 minutes ago, lightengine said:

I can't decide whether I need to pop down to the station and salute whilst waving the Union flag as the 19.03 Paddington passes through.  I was on the platform in the 70's when the 1st HST came through.

Yeah, do it! Why not?

It is, after all, the last Class 43 to pass through in 'regular service' in their (coincidentally) 43 years of operation.

Edited by JohnDMJ
  • Like 13

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, AndrewC said:

there is a ban on voice active devices, which suits me just fine

These were banned once upon a time in some allegedly secure work environments. DC23B9CB-D1E7-4AC0-AA47-90202EDF1F1C.jpeg.918f56bc336c5b417c5c29383b8c8ee1.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Returned from Brentwood a few modelling tokens lighter. Just been reading the thread about the terrible happenings at Stamford. A suggestion was made about a whip round for those affected but any financial loss should be dealt with by insurance so I suggested perhaps groups or individuals help in restoring what was lost or damaged. That is for the future however as I understand the premises is sealed off as a crime scene and until the extent of the damage is known then further action can be decided on.

• Like 9
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

These were banned once upon a time in some allegedly secure work environments. DC23B9CB-D1E7-4AC0-AA47-90202EDF1F1C.jpeg.918f56bc336c5b417c5c29383b8c8ee1.jpeg

Was it the White House?  POTUS had his toys in his office given by Santus Clauski.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, lightengine said:

Was it the White House?  POTUS had his toys in his office given by Santus Clauski.

The US National Security Agency in 1999.

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 6