The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, brianusa said:

As was my grandfather who served in the Royal Navy in both wars and was on HMS Adventure when she was sunk in the Thames estuary early in WW2.

Brian.

The neighbor behind me in Florida was one of the soldiers evacuated from Dunkirk. Unfortunately he would never talk about it other than to say that he was there,

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Friendly/supportive 9

1 hour ago, AndyID said:

Trolley!? I presume you are referring to a shopping cart.

Indeed so!

One of the trickiest to dodge was a family of three young girls at least two of which were in their Girl Scout / Girl Guide / Brownie* uniforms, each of which had carts in various sizes.

* I don't keep up with the whole Scouting / Guiding organization and couldn't tell you for sure.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Friendly/supportive 17

Good morning one and all

The lurgi struck back yesterday.  I spent nearly all day coughing and found it very difficult to concentrate on what I was supposed to be doing.  One thing my wandering mind found was a lot of stuff on YouTube about the dreadful koala massacre in Victoria – denials, half-truths and allegations mostly.  It appears that it is being taken very seriously at the highest level.  So I should think!  If there is any justice at all, that atrocity should cost the perpetrator dearly.  While my mind was wandering it made me wonder whether I should take a placard with me to Dublin Pride proclaiming “Save the Koala”. It will not stand out amid 60,000 other marchers but every little helps.

Matters arising: my ugly mug has been seen on TV a few times.  Circa 1982 I was in shot on a BBC2 documentary “The Sidmouth Invasion” and about four years before that I was seen on the 9 o’clock news walking briskly towards some policemen to invite them to restore order at a motorway inquiry.  The consensus is that I have a ‘not bad’ face for radio.  As for serving ones country abroad, my late father’s finest contribution to the war effort was to put his foot in a hot spring in Iceland.

Tonight sees the first of the events in Bedford marking LGBT History Month.  How closely it relates to the overall theme is anyone’s guess but there is only one way to find out and that is to attend.

Best wishes to all

Chris

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 18

5 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Right now I'm keeping an eye out for my computer/reading bifocals. I was using them on the sofa with my laptop hours ago, before I went to the supermarket. I've torn the couch apart and looked under all the cushions and on the floor and retraced my steps everywhere I went during the middle of the day. They seem to have disappeared without a trace. It's maddening.

And no, they're not on the top of my head. I checked. 

I'm sure they'll be in the last place I look. I'd like to know where that will be.

Excuses, excuses, excuses ;)

• Agree 2
  • Funny 15

2 minutes ago, chrisf said:

While my mind was wandering it made me wonder whether I should take a placard with me to Dublin Pride proclaiming “Save the Koala”. It will not stand out amid 60,000 other marchers but every little helps.

The biggest long-term threat to koalas (besides ongoing, cumulative, development-related habitat loss) is probably their chlamydia epidemic. It is not being ignored.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 13

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, jamie92208 said:

I usually fi d missing tools to be where I put them down when I picked up the next tool I used.

Jamie

Yes, that's where they should be. Next to the stack of plasterboard. I could not have picked them up at the same time as an 8' x 3' piece of board.

But they are not. Or were not yesterday. Perhaps they are back there this morning? 

• Like 5
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Premium

My FiL was at Dunkirk with the Lancashire Fusiliers and didn't want to talk about it but did just once when he told me that the men either side of him were killed when they were wading out to get on a boat. "I think I must have been too skinny for them to hit me," he said. He was only about 5ft 6in or so and eight stone wringing wet. 

Have a good day everyone with commiserations to those struck with the lurgy.

Dave

PS - anyone seen my glasses?

Edited by Dave Hunt
  • Friendly/supportive 19

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

While I was having a bit of fun, I hope I did not come across as being annoyingly pedantic. The Arctic is certainly an ocean, but is not a continent. Australians are proud of their landmass being considered the seventh continent, rather than a mere island. They will rankle at the suggestion that it is an island, though do see themselves as part of an Australasian economic zone.

Oceania is indeed a vague term. Depending on context, the Commonweath of Australia (as distinct from the geological, continental landmass) is often lumped into it, particularly in histogram charts where some quantity is calculated according to a regional distribution. Even the continental landmass is included in this definition. Curiously, Orwell includes the fictional nation state defined by IncSoc as being Oceania.

Sorry for not taking the response in the spirit it was intended Michael!

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 3