The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

We've had a communication from one of my cousins who is on a North American trip. The plan was to visit another cousin near Boston, fly to Vancouver and return to Toronto by train. She found out that there were potential problems only when she got to Boston. When she arrived in Vancouver today she had an eMail that the train trip is off.

In a dispute about a pipeline across British Columbia, the Indigenous people are blocking the railways all across the country. Most of the passenger service is cancelled and the freight lines are laying off employees.

HB to Chrisf.  I just got active enough to drink the IrnBru that I got for mine -- 2 months ago today.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 17

7 hours ago, Tony_S said:

HR. Aditi was on HRs redundancy list.

Tony that surprises me a bit but clearly there are differences across industries and HR cultures. In the employment world that I knew, being female with non-European ancestry would score higher on the diversity points and be much lower down the redundancy list.

• Like 5
  • Agree 9

• RMweb Gold

Morning,

Sutton weather is widespread as it extends to NEHerts. Better is forecast but who knows. A parcel awaits my collection from the local store / PO which I believe contains plaster of Paris bandages. It is not my intention to mummify SWMBO or create a mask of my face so I will have to own up to using it to create contours on Kingzance.

CowboysRUs kicked off half an hour ago - hammer drills, ghetto blasters and profanities are the order of the day. Given the terrible outcome of using dubious cladding at Grenfell Tower, I am amazed that the builders are installing a cladding that comprises plastic strips nailed to vertical wooden battens, these well spaced and offering a clear path for hot air with the battens nailed onto block work and securing a permeable membrane between them. How is it that lessons are not learnt? As for my orders of the day, these will include chauffeuring a visit to Waitrose and a stroll to the local farmer’s market. I shall attempt to restrain SWMBO at the first so I can support the traders at the second.

There have been no incidents of jam, stage or real blood spilled here in the past 24 hours although our neighbour is suffering from some major nose bleeds. To all with elf issues, I wish you well and an improving outlook. I am off to follow the normal guidance of a Durham lad presently in the Land of The Long White Cloud.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Kingzance said:

Given the terrible outcome of using dubious cladding at Grenfell Tower, I am amazed that the builders are installing a cladding that comprises plastic strips nailed to vertical wooden battens, these well spaced and offering a clear path for hot air with the battens nailed onto block work and securing a permeable membrane between them. How is it that lessons are not learnt?

Are these houses by any chance?  If not, then an anonymous call to Buildings Control might be in order....

• Like 5
  • Agree 9

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, polybear said:

Are these houses by any chance?  If not, then an anonymous call to Buildings Control might be in order....

These are called “one-bed apartments” and comprise a barn-like structure with two linked ground floor units and two similar units above them, the latter using some of the roof space so they have “velux” style windows set into the roof tiles. They are designated as “shared ownership” on the plans, i.e. the buyer takes all the costs whilst the builder hoovers up any rise in value over the period involved. As for Building Control round here, if they are anything like the Planning Department then they simply do not believe policies should be adhered to or regulations apply to them. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

It’s a wet start to the day here in England’s northwest. The first of the 2 bins has been emptied and I’ve just been out to retrieve it, given that is was raining when it was emptied, the lazy barstewards couldn’t even be bother to close the lid, thankfully there wasn’t much water in it!

I’ll shortly be heading off to complete the Trafford Centre Grand Prix, but before that I’ll nip into Asda for a few items that our local Sainsbury’s no longer, but used to stock! I shall return home via the butchers where I’ll pick up the weekly meat rations and a couple pasties for our dinner. After dinner I’ve a doctors appointment and Sheila is at the dentist having her crown refitted. As you can see, we live the high life here!

Back later. 

• Like 18
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Kingzance said:

These are called “one-bed apartments” and comprise a barn-like structure with two linked ground floor units and two similar units above them, the latter using some of the roof space so they have “velux” style windows set into the roof tiles. They are designated as “shared ownership” on the plans, i.e. the buyer takes all the costs whilst the builder hoovers up any rise in value over the period involved. As for Building Control round here, if they are anything like the Planning Department then they simply do not believe policies should be adhered to or regulations apply to them. 

What usually happens is the Planning Department puts in an objection, the builders reach for an expensive lawyer and the Planning Department hasn't got the resources to match so they drop the case.

• Like 4
  • Agree 10
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, grandadbob said:

Well that's it,  I'm doomed! Had to pop to Sainsbury's to pick up some stuff and when trying to pay by card I appear to have forgotten my PIN number. This on a card I use almost daily! Luckily I have others which I use rarely and I seem to have no problem with remembering those numbers. Will now have to wait a few days for the bank to send a new PIN which is a bit of a nuisance.

B.R.Ainfade

Be extremely cautious Bob! Watch your account for any strange transactions and chase the bank after 72 hours if you haven’t had the pin. A good friend was almost done by someone who applied for a new card in his name at one branch then a new password at another branch before he or an accomplice tried to collect my friend’s mail direct from the postman. The attempt failed due to a knowledgeable local postie and some smart private detective work by the two of them. The police couldn’t do anything because, as the crime was prevented, no crime was committed.

Nice to see the return of AndrewC and news of the boring borough.

• Like 17