The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, BoD said:

Morning all

Something for Mick (NB) - JCB are turning one of their production lines over to producing ventilators - and they will all be yellow.

Stay safe folks.

Could be very large ventilators? Great to try to help but it really needs a different skill ser for medical items.

Baz

• Like 11
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Barry O said:

Could be very large ventilators? Great to try to help but it really needs a different skill ser for medical items.

Baz

They may be able to produce ventilators in a matter of hours or days but it takes four years to train an ICU nurse.

• Like 4
  • Agree 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1

28 minutes ago, BoD said:

They may be able to produce ventilators in a matter of hours or days but it takes four years to train an ICU nurse.

True. If push came to shove I'd rather have to deal with an immediate shortage of ICU nurses than an immediate shortage of ventilators. (Apparently we have fewer than 700 ventilators for a state population exceeding four million.)

• Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 11

26 minutes ago, Barry O said:

Baz

I'd be a lot more concerned that they can't get their hands on the equipment and materials.

• Like 3
  • Agree 12

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all.

A good day was had on an empty train to and from Tonbridge to inspect the repaired landslip.

A couple of virtually empty bars that had hand sanitizer for use as you approached the bar. Easily sat more than 5 M from the next person. One is shutting on Friday and the other maybe sooner.

Back in Redhill (still clutching my loo roll pack bought earleir) I met other half off her very lightly loaded train from Farringdon and had dinner in SPoons whihc was also quieter so we had a booth to ourselves with more propganda from Mr Martin stating how much tax they pay to the Govt etc. I gave up reading it after a few sentences.

Then other half went into Sainsburys but shelves stripped bare again although she did pick up some frozen items that we have not been able to get for some weeks, then home.

• Like 18
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Vickers PLC not only owned the Defence System group but also Rolls Royce and Bentley Cars, Cosworth and Vickers Medical 

The medical Group were tasked with seeing if any of the companies inside Vickers could make any of their products. Cosworth could make everything from scratch in small quantities. None of the others could get near the required cleanliness stadards. Independentl most items could be made..just needed high quality, clean environments to put the bits together.

Baz

• Informative/Useful 19

• RMweb Premium

BoD you are so right. Of course all the retired ICU nurses can be called up... if they are fit and able to attend.

A retired GP I know says they are now out of touch with latest thinking so could only do minor tasks now.

Baz

• Like 9
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 3

10 minutes ago, Barry O said:

Vickers PLC not only owned the Defence System group but also Rolls Royce and Bentley Cars, Cosworth and Vickers Medical 

The medical Group were tasked with seeing if any of the companies inside Vickers could make any of their products. Cosworth could make everything from scratch in small quantities. None of the others could get near the required cleanliness stadards. Independentl most items could be made..just needed high quality, clean environments to put the bits together.

Baz

Vickers PLC went defunct sixteen years ago.

• Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

5 minutes ago, BlackRat said:

Let's hope......in a couple of weeks..... the topic will be about a massive global over reaction akin to mass hysteria.

In the meanwhile........Stay safe and well everyone........ get started on that layout/ stack of kits/ weathering/ tidy up/track laying....... etc etc etc.

The good people in Italy have every reason to be hysterical. They are suddenly losing many family members. A couple of weeks isn't going to take care of this one.

Things will go on of course but very many people will be touched as this plays out. My only hope is that we pay attention and don't cheerfully assume that something like this isn't going to happen again.

• Like 4
  • Agree 14

• RMweb Premium
42 minutes ago, AndyID said:

Vickers PLC went defunct sixteen years ago.

I know..read 2what I said. 

A mad Belgian was brought in and decided he could make more money for "the shareholders" by splitting the company up..and that year we had > £1Bn turnover and 10 % plus profits..I had left by then...

Baz

• Informative/Useful 9
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

The overnight rain is just about stopping, but not quite. Breakfast has been consumed and shortly I’ll set off to the swimming pool for a swim which according to the app this morning and the conversation I had with the staff last night is still open usual. 

Later ER’s we have Ava, Evie and Max coming round for tea, so it’s pretty much carry on as normal here. 

Back later 

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

Work blah corona blah hassle blah........oh sod it, I'll just leave this here, it's better than all that other worrisome stuff.

#cuts and runs.

o1.jpg.aa2a95a4670c51761d7e8b59051c4e8e.jpg

I am particularly envious of your North's Navigation coal carrier.

What is it's parentage?

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold
57 minutes ago, BlackRat said:

In the meanwhile........Stay safe and well everyone........ get started on that layout/ stack of kits/ weathering/ tidy up/track laying....... etc etc etc.

I wish!

I am being tasked with an ever growing list of domestic refurbishment tasks.

Then yesterday, I very foolishly  went out and mowed the lawn.

Cue another O group with a Warning Order for extreme gardening action.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, BlackRat said:

Let's hope......in a couple of weeks..... the topic will be about a massive global over reaction akin to mass hysteria.

Some of us still have to work... 1000.0032 Volts...

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Premium
40 minutes ago, Barry O said:

I know..read 2what I said. 

A mad Belgian was brought in and decided he could make more money for "the shareholders" by splitting the company up..and that year we had > £1Bn turnover and 10 % plus profits..I had left by then...

Baz

The same happened to GEC after Weinstock died. The directors made lots of money, a lot of others especially those with money in the Marconi I.T. bit, lost a lot..

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. No urgent need to go shopping, just papers to get today so I might just toddle down to the newsagents shortly. Some of the upcoming events are still advertised as opening but its extreamly doubtful now that they will. On the local (London) news last night was that Ally Pally itself was shutting its doors for the duration. Time now to start excavating the spare room and discover some forgotten half finished projects.

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 2