RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

...snip... Could it be that all the talented designers, and there are plenty of talented British designers (the bloke who designed the iPhone for Apple is British), have bu99ered off to pastures foreign (where, undoubtably, they are better paid and better appreciated).  ...snip...Cheers

iD

And NOT so heavily taxed??

• Like 8
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, chrisf said:

...snip...

I promised to share my Second Ten favourite albums, so here goes. ...snip...

Best wishes to all

Chris

Hmmm, I only recognize three on your list: Manfred Mann, Fleetwood Mac, and ABBA.

Although I prefer this spelling  A-B-B-A as in ALCo FA & FB :jester:

ALCo FA and FB

Edited by J. S. Bach
  • Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium

I remember the 1960s, but for those of us living in small villages out in the countryside,  it was a very different world, probably more like the " official " 1950s and time went backwards moving to the Hebridies in 1971. By 1976 I was marching around in circles in basic training followed by trade training , a distinct lack of females,  were visible or available.. 

Ben has been walked in the rain,  the rest of the battery plates are now drained and drying. 

It is I think, time to see,  if  eyelids are still working.. 

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

As a Fleetwood Mac track was featured earlier and Rhiannon was in danger of becoming an earworm I decided to listen to the album it was from. I do have the vinyl but it isn’t in the ready use pile so is playing from the stereo via AirPlay from my iPad. 
Now playing something else ChrisF would probably identify quite quickly, though I don’t think even at full power my stereo could reach Bedford. 
It is now lunchtime. I did suggest as we had a late breakfast we could miss out lunch. Poor Aditi looked quite upset. Not a good idea to suggest missing a meal!

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, BoD said:

Neither, I was just thinking that I don't remember 1984 being at all like the way he described it.

No. It's taken a little longer than he thought.

But the level of surveillance that we are now living under goes way beyond what was predicted in the book. The difference is that most of it is not done by the Government but by private commercial interests.

• Like 8
  • Agree 10

Ah, confirmed then!

49 minutes ago, chrisf said:

I have been doing nothing of the sort.  It is possibe that I have been inadvertently misusing the term "parallel universe" in the absence of one more apposite and if that be the case I am sorry.  What I have been trying to do, clearly with less than the success desired, is to list events in the forthcoming week which will not now take place on account of that ruddy virus.  I am not wallowing in nostalgia, or anything else for that matter.  If I thought for one moment that any friends and gentle readers were at all critical of what I write, have written or may yet write, I would expect them to keep their own counsel, as I do.  IS THAT CLEAR?

Chris

What might have beens ain't gonna happen! Look forward to next March and the London Festival of Railway M.......g. Think ahead, not on what won't be!

• Like 9
  • Agree 2

23 minutes ago, JohnDMJ said:

Ah, confirmed then!

What might have beens ain't gonna happen! Look forward to next March and the London Festival of Railway M.......g. Think ahead, not on what won't be!

Oh dear.  We used to get on so well.

Chris

• Like 1
  • Funny 11
  • Friendly/supportive 4

1 hour ago, chrisf said:

....If I thought for one moment that any friends and gentle readers were at all critical of what I write, have written or may yet write, I would expect them to keep their own counsel, as I do.  IS THAT CLEAR?

Chris

Yes, SIR!

• Funny 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Missing a meal is just not on.  

I only have one meal a day.

It starts any time after about 0800 and finishes anytime after 2230

You must be a very slow eater! 

• Agree 5
  • Funny 9

10 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Missing a meal is just not on.  

I only have one meal a day.

It starts any time after about 0800 and finishes anytime after 2230

Works for me!

Nice afternoon here, so the strawberries have been protected with straw, and my custom built cage put over them.  Before I put the straw down, t seemed that more grass had grown in the strawberry patch than on the lawn, so weeding it took a long time, and my back is now rather stiff as a result.  No more gardening this afternoon!

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Gold

More Scalextric cars have appeared in the forum ad now.  A green one that I didn’t recognise the make of. I thought perhaps a Ford Focus but in fact an Aston-Martin. Easy mistake to make. 

• Like 7
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Happy Hippo said:

...snip... It starts any time after about 0800 and finishes anytime after 2230

Hmmm, mine started today at 0545 or thereabouts. :biggrin_mini:

• Like 13

3 minutes ago, Sir TophamHatt said:

It pleases me to know that my speaker system can be much, much louder but we're gonna ride it out for the week.

Join me for my Monastic experiment.

Matins at 02:00

Prime at 05:00

Lauds at 06:00

• Like 4
  • Funny 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Pouring with rain again. An over the road neighbour has chosen the wrong weekend to repaint his garage door. It isn’t getting wet due to the roof overhang but it can’t be much fun. 
I damaged a bit of Scalextric track yesterday and did a “repair”. Seems ok now and cars that were getting stuck (which is how I damaged the track, “adjusting it) now longer get stuck. 
I won’t be re-enacting Le Mans next week but could perhaps manage 24 minutes rather than 24hours. 
1094659F-8E30-4ABC-96A7-DF1748A7E0DF.jpeg.089cdbb42456875e34993267f6ca9fb9.jpeg

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 18

• RMweb Premium

A warm welcome to two new ER's,  Florence Locomotive Works and Johnny Wass. Having worked in South Leeds I read that as Tommy Wass, a famous Pub on Dewsbury Road.  We look forward to hearing more from you both.  If you can stand the sense of humour you'll do well.  However we are generally a very supportive bunch.  The one thing we try not to talk about, not always successfully, model railways.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 8
  • Agree 10

Odd that ye olde Land Rover is now defunct. Jeep are cranking out Wranglers like mad. SiL just bought one and MrsID is on her second. They still retain the original fold-forward windshield. MrsID's Wrangler is quite basic. No power anything except steering although this one is an automatic.

BTW, the original Land Rover design was based on the Jeep.

• Like 17
  • Agree 1