Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

18 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

A warm welcome to two new ER's,  Florence Locomotive Works and Johnny Wass. Having worked in South Leeds I read that as Tommy Wass, a famous Pub on Dewsbury Road.  We look forward to hearing more from you both.  If you can stand the sense of humour you'll do well.  However we are generally a very supportive bunch.  The one thing we try not to talk about, not always successfully, model railways.

Jamie

Greetings young man but I'm not a new member. I think thanks to these  newfangled systems mine decide to put me back to zero. I've been a member for a good many years now.

As to the Tommy Wass, I was in it on August 20th 1968, the night my daughter arrived. I was in the middle of a Government training  coarse and I was only able to go home to Hull at weekends.

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

I won’t be re-enacting Le Mans next week but could perhaps manage 24 minutes rather than 24hours. 
1094659F-8E30-4ABC-96A7-DF1748A7E0DF.jpeg.089cdbb42456875e34993267f6ca9fb9.jpeg

When I was at school I had a five lane Minic Motorways figure of eight track that I ran three cars on each lane using a transformer for each lane. All the cars were numbered as the then top stock car drivers and it produced some very good racing.

In my thirties I got one of the Scalextric Stock Car sets plus a couple of extra cars. I found that I broke the front bumpers rather too easily for my liking and so ironed them up with real metal chassis and bumpers. All was OK until I visited a friend and took my cars to race against his! He landed up with two very smashed up cars and was most unhappy when he found out about the ironwork on my cars which he had not noticed due to it being painted to look like the original plastic.

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, John Wass said:

Greetings young man but I'm not a new member. I think thanks to these  newfangled systems mine decide to put me back to zero. I've been a member for a good many years now.

As to the Tommy Wass, I was in it on August 20th 1968, the night my daughter arrived. I was in the middle of a Government training  coarse and I was only able to go home to Hull at weekends.

You use the same Avatar as Judge Dread!

• Like 5
  • Agree 8

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, newbryford said:

We are looking into the practicalities of that.

In the past, we have had customers "just coming for a look around" and then pulling out plans for a West Coast Main Line layout in 00 with 4 tracks and 10 coach trains and minimum four foot radius curves to fit in the spare room - which is only 10 feet x 8 feet....... (it takes awhile for them to realise that there is a flaw in the specification......)

When I worked in Platform Two on Wimbledon Broadway in the 70s I had one guy come in with much the same requirements but wanted to do it in 8ft by 4ft with 3ft radius curves! One of my more amusing afternoons followed as I sorted out what he could do in the space he had.

• Like 16
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

What is it about buccaneers about to deck..? 

• Like 10
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
Just now, TheQ said:

What is it about buccaneers about to deck..? 

Because they can.

The only aircraft that was built as if it had come out of a Glasgow ship yard.

Imho the finest of the British built carrier borne aircraft.

• Like 9
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Gold

Evenin' each,

Sunny this morning so I did a tiny bit of gardening  (tended my tomato plants!) and then the rain came.  Decided against visiting The Shed so spent the afternoon watching a few episodes from the first series of The West Wing.  Would it be too political to say that Jed Bartlett wasn't a bad POTUS?

Now supping Tribute and will shortly visit the kitchen to cook some sirloin steak, chips, peas and mushrooms.  Well, I'll do the steak, The Boss deals with the more mundane stuff.  A Californian Shiraz has been selected to accompany the meal which will take place about 18.00hrs as we're Zooming at 19.00hrs.

Farewell for now,  I need to lubricate my steak.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
49 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

That was his old name.. and just ask him about Buccaneers built in Brough ..next door to Hull!

Baz

• Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Rolls Royce and Bentley used to belong to Vickers when I worked for them. One year they sold exactly 0. cars as in none, not a single one, not even a modified one. That was when they built proper cars..Bentley Mulsanne Turbo RL type cars. The managers at Crewe could take them home for the weekend as a runabout. We used them at The Army Equipment Exhibitions as "VIP Taxis"

When the City decided that it would more money for them ---aided and abetted by a mad Belgian Asset stripper - they were sold on as part of the break up. In between times RR had bought an Italian firm "Cantiera Riva" who built beautiful boats, RR then found out they knew not a lot about boats so Defence Systems ended up running the company. A friend became the UK based Finance Director and promised me a trip out there. Never made it unfortunately..

Baz

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 7

10 hours ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

I have never watched any US TV series because of the canned laughter.

Many of them (though not all) are filmed in front of live audiences.

A recent trend is to broadcast individual episodes live - though most of these are recreations of sitcoms from decades ago.

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold

Not only former British luxury cars are German, so are Lamborghini who are an Audi subsidiary. 
My car’s manufacturer is part of the Tata group. I think the input to the Jaguar Land Rover group is mainly financial as the development work is still UK based. 

• Like 6
  • Agree 6
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

Baz,

Plastic-weld is dichloromethane (or methylene chloride), which is readily available on ebay for about £10 a litre. I last bought some a few months ago.

Dave

juts ordered some ..thanks Dave!

baz

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, BoD said:

I don't remember 1984 being at all like the way he described it

Maybe not EASTASIA, but nevertheless I live in a place where we are still at war with Central Asia.

Ever since 1941 the US has been in a war, declared or otherwise, be it WW2, The Cold War (and it's "hot" proxies), the GHW Bush declared "War On Drugs" / "War on Crime" and since 2001, constant conflict in the Middle East or central Asia.

The UK was on board for much of the ride.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Not only former British luxury cars are German, so are Lamborghini who are an Audi subsidiary. 
My car’s manufacturer is part of the Tata group. I think the input to the Jaguar Land Rover group is mainly financial as the development work is still UK based. 

Just found out that my new steed may have been manufactured in the same town that built some very dodgy diesels for British Rail! (56001-030 from Craiova, Romania.

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, newbryford said:

Just found out that my new steed may have been manufactured in the same town that built some very dodgy diesels for British Rail! (56001-030 from Craiova, Romania.

Did you go for the diesel option? Though the engine could have been made in a completely different country to the place where the car was assembled. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Absolute zero done on finishing emptying the garden store. It started to rain when I was ready, so I'll have to keep an eye on the forecast. My car was built in India, delivery was delayed by a strike.

• Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Barry O said:

That was his old name.. and just ask him about Buccaneers built in Brough ..next door to Hull!

Baz

I thought so, but wanted to make sure.

Obviously the Buccs were not made by the East Riding Finescale Group........... Their work was/is for too delicate.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Gold
47 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Many of them (though not all) are filmed in front of live audiences.

With floor managers running around with various placards saying 'Laugh now'!

(Well that's what the BBC and ITV used to do.)

• Like 2
  • Agree 12

39 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

I thought so, but wanted to make sure.

Obviously the Buccs were not made by the East Riding Finescale Group........... Their work was/is for too delicate.

I hope enough time has gone by to tell all this on the subject of carrier landings. When the Buccs from the Arc came back to Brough there was one which didn't look very "right". The rear part of the fuselage was bent to put it mildly. Where on one side of the tail plane should have said "Royal Navy", it had been altered to "Fly Navy" and on the other side it said "Crash Navy". The aircraft was straightened and sent out to the R.A.F. 

• Like 2
  • Funny 16