The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

24 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

The cooking of onions on steam manifolds on various types of Western steam engines was apparently quite a widespread practice.  When i first heard about it I thought someone was having a joke but lo and behold when we were running GW150 steam several footplatemen were doing it 'for old times sake'.  Presumably it was at one time the simplest way of getting something hot to eat when stuck on an engine all day with no chance to get to a mess room to get something cooked or warmed up.

It’s also possible to do potatoes in the smoke box of a traction engine. Bacon and eggs can also be done on cylinder block or shovel, and there’s some crazy method of doing toast somewhere on the engine as well.

• Like 19

1 hour ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

I’ve just learned that Pres. Trump is coming to town, and will be speaking on the 99th anniversary of the deadliest race massacre in American history which occurred in Tulsa in 1921. (Essentially the white population got angry and burned the African American neighborhoods to the ground)

Not only is it the 99th anniversary year of the Tulsa Race Massacre (May 31 - June 1, 1921) but it will occur on "Juneteenth" (June 19) the anniversary of the day in 1865 that enslaved African-Americans in Texas were read the Emancipation Proclamation by a Union General. The Civil War was already over (ending at Appomattox, Virginia on April 9), but slaves in Texas had not been informed.

1 hour ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

It’s the only time in history a US army aircraft has bombed an American city, they said it was necessary for “crowd control”.

The Wikipedia account is slightly different:

Numerous eyewitnesses described airplanes carrying white assailants, who fired rifles and dropped firebombs on buildings, homes, and fleeing families. The privately owned aircraft were dispatched from the nearby Curtiss-Southwest Field outside Tulsa.

Reportedly, when registering to attend the rally, attendees at the rally will be agreeing to a disclaimer:

"By attending the Rally, you and any guests voluntarily assume all risks related to exposure to COVID-19 and agree not to hold Donald J. Trump for President, Inc.; BOK Center; ASM Global; or any of their affiliates, directors, officers, employees, agents, contractors, or volunteers liable for any illness or injury,"

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 12

44 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Not only is it the 99th anniversary year of the Tulsa Race Massacre (May 31 - June 1, 1921) but it will occur on "Juneteenth" (June 19) the anniversary of the day in 1865 that enslaved African-Americans in Texas were read the Emancipation Proclamation by a Union General. The Civil War was already over (ending at Appomattox, Virginia on April 9), but slaves in Texas had not been informed.

The Wikipedia account is slightly different:

Reportedly, when registering to attend the rally, attendees at the rally will be agreeing to a disclaimer:

I personally think that the whole thing will be the “perfect storm” that the nation has been waiting for, whether they waited in anticipation or in fear. I certainly won’t be going to that side of the city on Friday. 

Edited by Florence Locomotive Works
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

Evening all, ...snip... It’s the only time in history a US army aircraft has bombed an American city, ...snip...

Not so, Boise City, OK was bombed in WW2 by a B-17:

100_9073.JPG.84d00250c463228ee82bd946e298ad8e.JPG

You can see the placement of the monument in the lower left of the photo:

100_9074.JPG.8d843d26ccf5addf19b6af334ef4f975.JPG

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boise_City,_Oklahoma

Edited by J. S. Bach
  • Informative/Useful 17

13 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

Not so, Boise City, OK was bombed in WW2 by a B-17:

100_9073.JPG.84d00250c463228ee82bd946e298ad8e.JPG

You can see the placement of the monument in the lower left of the photo:

100_9074.JPG.8d843d26ccf5addf19b6af334ef4f975.JPG

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boise_City,_Oklahoma

Ahah, but was it intentional though? Very interesting however.

Edited by Florence Locomotive Works
  • Like 11

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

It a royal PITA.

That's not where you are supposed to wear it

• Funny 16

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, roundhouse said:

I see that Nat Rail is having typo issues!

'Disruption between Easy Croydon and Clapham Junction.'

Had to reread that several times before brain would stop reading easy as east

• Like 9
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 2

41 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

I noted no changes in how the work was done (both a water-pik and a low speed drill with a polishing head were used during my treatment).
It does seem to me that how various governments are managing this pandemic has more than a whiff of hysteria about it.

I have a teeth cleaning appointment at the end of the month. I am interested to see how this will pan out.

In pre-pandemic times the hygienists wore masks, gloves and face shields. I imagine it will be much the same. There has been concern in the hygienist community about SARS-CoV-2 aerosols (relative to a water-pik) despite there being no official designation that SARS-CoV-2 is transmitted as aerosols.

• Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 7

43 minutes ago, chrisf said:

That formidable combination of Mike Stationmaster and Jamie has been most generous with advice about Nice and its hinterland.  It seems that a cheap day return will not be sufficient!  I do not know when I will make the trip, but make it I shall.

23 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

ChrisF, when you do go to Nice, I bellieve there is some sort of runabout ticket on the local trains.

Nice and environs are very nice to visit. The old market area is wonderful and the view from Boulevard de Mont-Boron is quite magnificent. Antibes is well worth a visit - in particular the Picasso museum. While I would not choose to argue with Mike, Monaco does have some charms, but Èze is well worth a look. The view at least is worth the effort. Cap Ferat is interesting - perhaps more so before the cruise ships are back in full rotation landing their tenders in Beaulieu-sur-Mer, though from a distance the cruise ships add a certain interest.

It is all very touristy but when one is a touristiuqe, quand à rome.

I very happily remember the Aubergine au parmesan avec Cotes de Provence Rosé alongside the quay in Antibes even if it wasn't that amazing. I did have the opportunity to dine in a Michelin starred restaurant in Antibes as well, but there is something about al fresco dining in the French Riviera. I was fortunate to have the opportunity to visit the area on a couple of occasions.

The tourist traps are very proud of their pizza. They think it rivals Napoli. It doesn't. Stick with la cuisine Provençal.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1