RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Evening awl,  

A dry warmish evening but the MhRC was too hot,  so Ben spent the evening,  lying on the floor facing the open door catching the odd cool draft. 

Me, I assembled what I've built so far of the tiny radar to find I'm happy with the smooth ness of the aerial,  but found one side had dried streaky gloss/  matt the other full gloss,  and the flat sections joining, all Matt.. That's from the one tin of paint, the colours right though.. 

The other failure tonight was flat batteries of the static grass gun,  after I'd loaded it with the new colour, and glued the destination.... 

Ben the scrounging collie has had bit of my supper,  and is now asleep on the floor at the foot of the bed,

I will now depart this space,  to read some thing Ngauging,  which arrived in the post box today. 

Goodnight Awl. 

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

In other news and knowing that logic and railways seldom sit comfortably together I was approached by a couple who alighted from the Alton train.  They approached me with puzzled looks and the words "We think we got on the wrong train.  We want Alton Towers but it doesn't say it stops there".  "Alton Towers?" "Yeah - we're going to Alton Towers ........."  

I can see the reasoning.  Alton train - Alton Towers.  But nowhere does anything suggest Alton Towers might be in Alton, Ampsheer.  I referred them to platform 17 for the Milton Keynes train and advised they change there for Stoke on Trent.  And buy a new ticket first because a return to Alton won't get them where they want to be.  I suspect they just went home.  

Rick. You're a model of restraint.

I'd have sent them back down the line to rural 'ampshire with "directions".

Although having just seen the Alton Tower's gardens on Gardeners' World, the local municipal gardens might not quite cut it! 

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Coombe Barton said:

This, however, does not take into account that I've randomised both the order of the questions and the order of the answers. Some questions come from a question bank, which has, say, four or five similar questions of which one or two are randomly selected for each student.

RTFQ ***applies.

*** Read The Flamin' Question, or something like that.

Have done the same but quite some years ago now ... and then go through them to make sure the 'result sheet' was correct because automatic 'computer marking' was unavailable at the time.  Finding incorrect answers that were plausible took the time as there were no similar ones available.

Listened to some of the music on 'second go' - normally these days I do not ... after a time a message comes up that stops my proposed comment or addition to the blog and then after an hour it cuts me off.  Consequently although I still read most (unless I have been unable to attend for a few days) but cannot add to the responses.  My AV does not like the site and also will not let me add RMweb as one to allow.  Getting quite used to it but have also noticed that a number of former 'regulars' do not seem to be posting ... unless of course they have similar problems. 

Enjoy reading most topics but, as you know I eat because I have to so the culinary aspects are skimmed rather than read, but nevertheless the variation in preparation of 'the 'same' recipe is extremely widespread.

Keep going Tony!

Edited by PeterBB
Had to 'forget password' to continue to read ER.
  • Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Another day nearly over and bu@@er all done. That is unless you count the Sudoku in the last couple of days papers. Glad to see you back Tony here on ER's and I hope to see GDB back before very long. Tea has been drunk, now to tackle and catch up on Farcebook. Be back later.

• Like 15
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

I took "O" level Physics the first year they had multi choice questions. Not one of my best subjects but having gone through the paper carefully I had answered about 50% of the questions and was happy with those answers but the rest of the questions all had two answers that seemed right to me. Having gone through the whole paper two or three times I noticed that there appeared to be a pattern on the answers so I went through using the pattern and found all my either or choices fitted into the pattern! Got an "A" in Physics much to the surprise of my teacher.

• Like 11
  • Round of applause 6
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

John mentioned the packaging on handkerchiefs. I had to buy some when we were on our cruise to the US and Canada. They were similarly wrapped. I have loads of handkerchiefs but they are all embroidered (is that the correct term) with “K”. This isn’t one of my initials. Aditi’s Dad used to have a relative who sent him lots of handkerchiefs as gifts. Aditi’s Dad never used them, only paper tissues, so I got them. Their surname began with a K. 

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Chris116 said:

I took "O" level Physics the first year they had multi choice questions. Not one of my best subjects but having gone through the paper carefully I had answered about 50% of the questions and was happy with those answers but the rest of the questions all had two answers that seemed right to me. Having gone through the whole paper two or three times I noticed that there appeared to be a pattern on the answers so I went through using the pattern and found all my either or choices fitted into the pattern! Got an "A" in Physics much to the surprise of my teacher.

By the time I was writing multiple choice questions that technique wouldn’t have worked. I have mentioned before my student who when we were talking about testing said “What class is Mark Scheme in?” “ He always gets 100%”

Tony

• Like 2
  • Funny 16
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Physics was my favourite subject at school and up to A level I was quite good at it but I realised that from then onwards my mathematics would let me down so did opt for it at university. Since then I have read quite a few ‘popular science’ books on physics and have really enjoyed them. In one of them I even got to know why the square root of -1 was important!.I particularly like books on quantum mechanics, absolute mind blowing.

Anyway getting late,

Robert

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

By the time I was writing multiple choice questions that technique wouldn’t have worked. I have mentioned before my student who when we were talking about testing said “What class is Mark Scheme in?” “ He always gets 100%”

Tony

Two years after I passed, I finally told my teacher what I had done. He congratulated me and said that the first year on one examination board was the only one where that would have worked but he said I had done well to spot the repeating pattern so he thought I deserved the grade I was awarded. Sometimes there are advantages in being the first to take a new exam or syllabus! I have for the rest of my life referred to them as Multi Guess exams!

Edited by Chris116
  • Like 17
  • Agree 2