The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Best wishes to Rick and Simon and I hope that things go well for Tony. A bit grey this morning but dry. Isn't the September full moon the harvest moon? It was rather bright last night but I thought that was normal for a harvest moon.

5 hours ago, TheQ said:

OK then time for a question from me.  What's the link between Arthur Ransome and Ian Fleming ?

4 hours ago, Tony_S said:

Spies, secret agents .

Both worked for the secret service but different parts of it. They both also had the same publisher, Johnathan Cape.

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Best wishes to Rick and Simon and I hope that things go well for Tony. A bit grey this morning but dry. Isn't the September full moon the harvest moon? It was rather bright last night but I thought that was normal for a harvest moon.

Both worked for the secret service but different parts of it. They both also had the same publisher, Johnathan Cape.

This is true there were a lot of connections between  them.

But it's not the one I was looking for..

Try thinking of where I live..

• Like 12

6 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Something to do with the name Blofeld?

Was it not said that Fleming was a friend of Henry Blofeld's father and used the cricket commentator's family name for the cat-stroking villain?

Edited by BokStein
  • Like 4
  • Agree 6
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, BokStein said:

Was it not said that Fleming was a friend of Henry Blofeld's father and used the cricket commentator's family name for the cat-stroking villain?

Indeed he was, and Fleming's nephew was at school with a cousin of HB.

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 7

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Andrew P said:

I just read that bit in red as 3am, I thought, WOW, that's an early start.:no: The other half of the brain should wake up soon.:biggrin_mini:

Blimey - he starts by seeing double and now is only seeing half the letters.  Well one sort of balances the other but I do hope that civilised (?) southern air down in 'ampshire isn't causing you problems Andy?:jester:

BTW when are we likely to see you in 'probably Hampshire's largest model shop'?  I know it's at t'other end of the county but it's well worth a visit if you're allowed a day out. 

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Something to do with the name Blofeld?

We've got there,  Tom Blofield was at School (Eton) with Ian Fleming. But Fleming's Nephew was at Sunningdale School with John Blofeld another pupil called Peter Scaramanga who were reported as being the school bullies.

Hence their incorporation as baddies in the books..

The Blofeld family own vast amounts of land around the Broads, Particularly between Effin clown town (Hoveton) and Horning. That's some of the area of the Broads based Books of Arthur Ransome hence the connection.

However the family bullying continued  by closing off access to several of the broads to the public. leading to the " Invasion of Black Horse Broad" https://www.northnorfolknews.co.uk/news/flotilla-marks-70th-anniversary-on-norfolk-broads-1-6021938 

The Big Broad .. Hoveton Great Broad has unfortunately  remained closed off, except for paying visitors, ever since. The family have now leased the broad to Natural England and Natural England are going to spend a fortune " restoring " the Blofelds private pond , https://hovetongreatbroad.org.uk/

Much to the disgust of fishermen.. https://www.edp24.co.uk/news/environment/petition-to-reverse-norfolk-hoveton-great-broad-fish-barriers-1-6799053

I add John Blofeld grew up to be High Court judge Blofeld

The less fortunate Henry Blofeld the cricket commentator is John Blofeld's brother, and didn't inherit the family estates..

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 15

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, Erichill16 said:

Is it me or is the moon brighter than Normal tonight?

14 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

Hmmm, I do not know; it is still daylight here! :jester: I will look later, though.

I did not get to see it last night; I fell asleep way too early but this morning around 0800, it was quite bright. More so than normal. Hmmm, maybe the atmosphere is clearer due to less vehicular/carbon pollution. just a thought.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Still grey and overcast but still dry at the moment but wetness is predicted for tonight. Tomorrow is supposed to be dry if a bit cold so hopefully the G word will be attended to. Muggatee awaits, be back later.

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium
On 03/09/2020 at 15:34, Gwiwer said:

When National Express coaches first rolled out their nationwide route numbering system, which replaced the random collection of numbers, letters and nothing inherited from its constituent companies, they began at the Thames working more or less clockwise.  001 was London - Canterbury - Thanet.  007 was the London - Folkestone - Hythe - New Romney coach.  It's all different now.  

Then there was the short-lived route 1066 just along the coast.  Short as in it ran at weekends during summer school holidays for one year only.  So on about 12 days.  Its purpose was to link Eastbourne and Rye with numerous locations (including Battle) having 1066 / Battle of Hastings connections.  Anyone who knows much about buses will know that 1066 cannot be displayed on the normal 3-track number blind.  The buses used displayed x66.  If you had worked out the days it actually ran, managed to fit your day around the timetable of two oddly-timed round trips and turned up at the bus stop expecting something saying 1066 then x66 might have added to the confusion.  

Needless to say it seldom saw a passenger owing to a combination of poor marketing, unattractive timings and only running on a very few days of the year.  

Bus trivia over.  Welcome to Thor's Day.  So far he is absent from the Hill of Strawberries.  Long may that continue.  

The Ipswich trolleybuses had a destination blind box so small that it could only contain the ultimate destination and a single digit route number. But they had 10 routes so the trolleybuses going to the railway station, route 10 displayed 'Station X'.

• Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

My outstanding prescription items have been collected. Two of our 3 hedges have been trimmed. Can't get a hairdresser appointment for tow weeks.. but we will be in a local lockdown by then.. Pah!

More paint applied to some nickel silver and plastic items..boy I hate that job!

On running discussion with "he is the best tank designer in the world" (well he didn't design any I worked on!) I now know exactly who he is.. and why I (among many others) think he a bit  lot self important.

Baz

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 6

3 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

The Ipswich trolleybuses had a destination blind box so small that it could only contain the ultimate destination and a single digit route number. But they had 10 routes so the trolleybuses going to the railway station, route 10 displayed 'Station X'.

So that’s where the idea for the ISBN check digit came from!

• Like 9
  • Agree 1