Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. My dad had a Chevette from new. When it was five years old he purchased a new car and passed the Chevette onto me. A few years later, shortly before he died he was told he couldn't drive any more (in case he was taken ill at the wheel) so he passed his new car on to me and I passed the Chevette onto my niece who had just passed her test.

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 5

2 hours ago, Tony_S said:

Is it a particularly British trait that as soon as any rules/regulations/advice are released there seems to be a lot of “what can I get away with?” “how can I bypass these conditions?” 

I think that stems from the fact that the British don't have a tradition of accepting rules that have been imposed on them. Not wishing to bring politics up but I seem to recall I quote made by a politican to that effect.

• Like 11

8 hours ago, brianusa said:

A Vauxhall Mokka!?  Who actually thinks up names such as these?  At least my Vauxhalls had more respectable names like Wyvern, Velox or Cresta.:o All nice cars except for the unique slide up windows!

Brian.

Starbucks? 

Mind you, Vauxhall thought at one time that Spanish speakers would buy a car named “no va” ...

• Like 8
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 2

6 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

I think that stems from the fact that the British don't have a tradition of accepting rules that have been imposed on them. Not wishing to bring politics up but I seem to recall I quote made by a politican to that effect.

It’s because of the English tradition of Common Law, by which any given act is legal unless specifically prohibited, and (to a considerable extent) the verdict is reached by a jury selected at random from the population, and its composition amenable to challenge from the accused. 

We don’t really have the Chinese provision to deploy armed troops in the streets... 

• Agree 10
  • Informative/Useful 1

13 hours ago, TheQ said:

Potato's no, sugar beet yes, tons of it being taken to the pan next door. The road is invisible under mud.

Fog is lifting off the fields and flowing over the earth banks and hedgerows.

Tes and co were busy, but the car park half empty, most odd.

Picked up our prescriptions after, mine accompanied by a note for online medical review, which I've done..

Name address, any side effects, do you know how to take the pills, are you happy with the review, and that was it.

It’s the sugar beet campaign right now. Peterborough used to be a morass of silty mud every year, having a beet plant which had become surrounded with urban sprawl over the years... I really don’t miss that, or the awful smell.. 

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 3

9 hours ago, Tony_S said:

Is it a particularly British trait that as soon as any rules/regulations/advice are released there seems to be a lot of “what can I get away with?” “how can I bypass these conditions?” 

That’s quite an interesting observation. There are many who, according to the comments section in various newspapers, would like to see the adoption of many of the Scandinavian and/or German systems. Unfortunately for the UK, for these systems to work there has to be the same amount of social discipline and cohesion that you have in Scandinavia and Germany. I don’t see that happening  in the UK (for many reasons – most of which definitely being within the realms of politics, which we don’t discuss here...)

9 hours ago, polybear said:

We're talkin' Suzi here.  There's a time and a place for lemon drizzle, and this one's being saved......

Mr Bear and other miscreants of ER are more than welcome to try their chances with Miss Quattro. I never found her that particularly appealing and the other young actress with a supposedly award winning Gluteus Maximus, Miss Felicity Kendall, also failed to “float my boat“.  Now, the young Miss Linda Ronstadt is another matter entirely!
If I may be admitted to add a little bit of friendly, avuncular, advice, I would like to point out that Mr Bear’s aversion to creamy substances in his cakes could well turn out to be a drawback in the wooing of Suzi and the other ladies he would like to get his paws upon.  There is something very appealing about cakes with lots of cream or cream-like fillings for the ladies; I understand that by eating a rich, creamy cake they can experience a frisson of naughtiness which may affect their willingness to be wooed...

8 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Called so because if you drive one you are mocked. Remember Vauxhall developed the Corsa for people who know f*** all about cars.

British Cars! Absolutely superb up until about 1959 or so, utterly crap afterwards... I am very much of the firm opinion that RR, Bentley, Jaguar etc. have made no better cars than those made before 1959 (I think that the current batch of RR and Bentleys are nothing more than luxuriously kitted out tanks) Even at the less exclusive end of the market you had lovely cars like the 1951 Wolseley 6/80, the MG Magnette or even the Morris Minor or the Hillmann Minx. 

As a relevant digression, if anyone has one if the following cars for sale (in good condition) I’d be interested: Bentley S1, Mercedes-Benz “Ponton”, Wolseley 6/80 (preferably the Police issue model), Jaguar Mk VIII or an Armstrong Siddeley Hurricane. LH Drive if possible.

Have a great POETS day

iD

Edited by iL Dottore
  • Like 12

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, rockershovel said:

It’s because of the English tradition of Common Law, by which any given act is legal unless specifically prohibited, and (to a considerable extent) the verdict is reached by a jury selected at random from the population, and its composition amenable to challenge from the accused. 

We don’t really have the Chinese provision to deploy armed troops in the streets... 

Hence why the UK police referred to itself as a service. We were taught that we policed by consent.  I'm not sure of the figures but was told that police numbers in most European countries, particularly France and Germany,  are much higher per head of population than in the UK. I believe that the legal position over here is that things are illegal unless allowed by law.

Jamie

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium

Good morning all, first off, Happy Birthday Simon. I hop that you have a lovelly view of those glorious fells today in my native county.

We got quite a bit done yesterday. A nice walk round the fields to start with. Beth is starting to feel the benefits of CPAP, then after coffee, a couple of hours demolishing parts of the bathroom. That hasn't revealed any nasties yet and the first few floor tiles came up easily. The afternoon was gardening time and the jungle is now startibg to look neater.  Fish and chips for tea and an episode of the Queens Gambit on netflix.  Today it's off to the Dr's forvprescriptions this morning then to the garage to part with muddling tokens for repairs to the front brakes on the Volvo.  

Mis Q was definitely rather nice and I also appreciated Ms Kendal and Ms Rice. I would like to add to the list, Sonja Kristina from Curved Air and off course a certain Agnetha, though Annafried had the better voice.

Regards to all.

Jamie

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

They've relied, at every turn, on the majority obeying their "advice" and quietly turned (and continue to turn) a blind eye to the F-wits who are willing to take their chances with the virus (no problem, their choice) and don't give a damn who they take with them (big problem, not their choice).

Infection rates of a few hundred in every 100,000 appears not to spook the vast majority; it seems to be for many people that unless they actually catch a bad dose of it themselves or see it close to home (family member, friend etc.) then it doesn't feature on their radar.  All they see is that they can't go down the pub or go clubbing with their mates.  Give it a 10% chance of catching it with a 50/50 death rate and then they'll maybe sit up and take notice.

8 hours ago, Tony_S said:

Aditi was still sad to see it go. We sold it to someone who had access to a replacement engine.It had to be towed away as it had had a piston/conrod/crankcase event overtaking a BMW on the A127. A noble end! 
Tony

You could always surprise her.....

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1277423

(Quite an interesting site for seeing what's still out there and what they are worth)

43 minutes ago, rockershovel said:

Felicity Kendall... Anneka Rice....

Ahh yes, Felicity.....

You're a man of obvious immaculate taste. 

16 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

If I may be admitted to add a little bit of friendly, avuncular, advice, I would like to point out that Mr Bear’s aversion to creamy substances in his cakes could well turn out to be a drawback in the wooing of Suzi and the other ladies he would like to get his paws upon.  There is something very appealing about cakes with lots of cream or cream-like fillings for the ladies; I understand that by eating a rich, creamy cake they can experience a frisson of naughtiness which may affect their willingness to be wooed...

Fear not, it's butter cream (why ruin a decent lemon drizzle with that 'orrible cream stuff?).  Naughtiness?  Bear can do that....

• Like 13
  • Funny 1

23 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

Hence why the UK police referred to itself as a service. We were taught that we policed by consent.  I'm not sure of the figures but was told that police numbers in most European countries, particularly France and Germany,  are much higher per head of population than in the UK. I believe that the legal position over here is that things are illegal unless allowed by law.

Jamie

Quite so. The English (as opposed to British) position is that at least notionally, the monarch rules by consent of the nation, and delegates that authority to Parliament. The Prime Minister is neither President, nor Head of State. Don’t forget that well within modern times, a monarch who had done nothing actually illegal was forced into abdication, and monarchs have been sacked or executed in the past. 

Theres also the matter of that Cressida woman, the one who seems to be a standing provocation to website word-checkers, who sees nothing wrong with the idea that police forces are free to decide what parts of th3 law they do, or don’t enforce. (The idea that the police are a service, as opposed to a force, is very recent and I’ve never heard it outside the Guardian or the BBC. Most regional forces actually use term constabulary.)

Edited by rockershovel
  • Like 8
  • Agree 1

19 minutes ago, polybear said:

Infection rates of a few hundred in every 100,000 appears not to spook the vast majority; it seems to be for many people that unless they actually catch a bad dose of it themselves or see it close to home (family member, friend etc.) then it doesn't feature on their radar.  All they see is that they can't go down the pub or go clubbing with their mates.  Give it a 10% chance of catching it with a 50/50 death rate and then they'll maybe sit up and take notice.

You could always surprise her.....

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1277423

(Quite an interesting site for seeing what's still out there and what they are worth)

Ahh yes, Felicity.....

You're a man of obvious immaculate taste. 

Fear not, it's butter cream (why ruin a decent lemon drizzle with that 'orrible cream stuff?).  Naughtiness?  Bear can do that....

Candy is dandy, but liquor is quicker...

the point about infection rates as a yardstick, is that a couple of hundred in a hundred thousand is a level at which most will never encounter the infection, and a lot won’t even know anyone who has. Add to that the concept of “asymptomatic infection”, by which 80% of those diagnosed show no discernible symptoms... but most people know someone who has been in a RTA, or been injured at work, or had cancer, or... were it not for the constant blare of publicity, things would resemble the Hong Kong Flu epidemic of the 1950s and 1960s.

Edited by rockershovel
  • Like 3
  • Agree 5
  • Funny 1