The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, PeterBB said:

Getting ahead of global warming?

I did note that one of the wines mentioned, Selkirk Island is only bottled in Scotland, it originates in Chile. It actually comes from Selkirk Island off the Chilean coast. So named as it was where Scotsman Alexander Selkirk was marooned. His story (with a few embellishments) was turned into Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe.

• Like 9
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 4

2 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

Would that have been Bishop Eric Treacy. Apparently  when Ian Allan published his autobiography Ian expressed an opinion that the chapters dealing with his spiritual life needed editing a bit. Treacy replied that reading them would be good for the souls of the typesetters of Sheperton.

Jamie

Alas no although i believe he was Bishop of Pontefract in the 60s

It was Stephen Plattern that was incumbent at that time till he was replaced by Tony Robinson no not Baldrick.

• Like 13
  • Funny 4

Lovely photo of the Granddaughter Jamie.

Talking of minority sports on tv i used to love watching lawn mower racing and tractor pulling.

Cant do with Strictly or any of these im a has been make me famous again programmes. As for Britains got talent pah. Cant stand pj and duncan or whatever the pair of talentless geordies call themselves these days. 

• Like 11
  • Agree 3
  • Round of applause 1

1 hour ago, PeterBB said:

Getting ahead of global warming?

There were vineyards in Britain in Roman times, not quite as far north as Scotland, mind you. Probably got wiped out by Dark Age volcanic eruption effects

• Locations unknown, first one possibly from North America, second from tropics
  • AD535/6 and AD542
  • Byzantine historian Procopius 536, “during this year a most dread portent took place. For the sun gave forth its light without brightness … and it seemed exceedingly like the sun in eclipse, for the beams it shed were not clear”.
  • A failure of bread in the year 536 AD – the Annals of Ulster
  • A failure of bread from the years 536–539 AD – the Annals of Inisfallen
  • Low temperatures, even snow during the summer: China harvest delayed
  • Crop failures
  • A dense, dry fog in the Middle East, China and Europe
  • Drought in Peru, which affected the Moche culture
  • Disappearance of people writing about their times - hence Dark Ages

This from my Climate Change lectures

Edited by Coombe Barton
  • Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 11

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

It is bright and breezy here and so Aditi is outside sorting out  her bulbs for planting. 
My day started with a “do you think it should sound like that?” about the elderly Magimix food processor. The manufacturer label states November 1986. It is a very substantial motor but the drive spindle  cover wouldn’t come off to release the motor so I could look at the top bearing.  The official suggestion is to lever it off with serving spoons making sure the food processor body is protected with cloths. I now see why one reviewer states that this does work but she had to remove plastic shrapnel from her husband’s face. After a couple of bits whizzed past my head I decided I would leave it, order a new part (all of £3) and crush the old part with a Mole wrench when the new part arrives. Aditi seemed dubious about destroying a part to remove it but I found a YouTube video showing someone whacking it with a hammer to shatter it. There are not many parts for this food processor still available but it was first introduced in the mid 1970s so we can’t really complain. 
Tony

• Like 13
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

There were vineyards in Britain in Roman times, not quite as far north as Scotland, mind you. Probably got wiped out by Dark Age volcanic eruption effects

This from my Climate Change lectures

Rings a bell, also more recently than that from Icelandic volcanoes the number of deaths at a time that only recently have been sorted as coming from those volcanoes gave some 'darker' times.

• Agree 6
  • Friendly/supportive 2

6 minutes ago, PeterBB said:

Rings a bell, also more recently than that from Icelandic volcanoes the number of deaths at a time that only recently have been sorted as coming from those volcanoes gave some 'darker' times.

Also

https://www.medievalists.net/2018/04/volcanic-eruptions-in-the-6th-century-plunged-eurasia-into-hunger-and-disease/

and

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-018-19760-w

And now from Central America

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidbressan/2019/09/07/mysterious-volcanic-eruptions-that-plunged-europe-into-the-dark-ages-pinpointed-in-central-america/?sh=1fde72444d87

or Iceland

https://www.history.com/news/536-volcanic-eruption-fog-eclipse-worst-year

Thought they'd be better for sausage rolls, but still ...

Edited by Coombe Barton
  • Informative/Useful 12

• RMweb Gold

I don’t have a specific reference but I distinctly remember in history lessons at school being told about the banks of the River Severn being used as vineyards in Roman times.

I suppose it must have been a bit like the modern banks of the Mosel and Rhine. 

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 2

9 hours ago, TheQ said:

Sprouts,  best cooked with butter, small pieces of bacon and chestnuts.

I agree but I'm banned from eating them now as I have to take Warfarin after two heart operations. I was allowed one sprout with my C..............s dinner as our two daughters use too be long, long ago, but now all gone! 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, simontaylor484 said:

Alas no although i believe he was Bishop of Pontefract in the 60s

It was Stephen Plattern that was incumbent at that time till he was replaced by Tony Robinson no not Baldrick.

Odd title, the suffragen Bishop of Pontefract, deputy to The Bushop of Wakefield but whose official residence is, or was, at Dewsbury, the same distance west of Wakefield that Pontefract is east. 

Jamie

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 12
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, BoD said:

but grey haired elderly people

Definitely the grey ones, not fluffy white like mine! 
Back in the day when we went on cruises Matthew said he was shocked at the flagrant non compliance with the Norovirus precautions by what he described as “old people”. 

• Like 16

On 12/12/2020 at 17:09, Barry O said:

Result!  Lincoln 0 Sunderland 4... I will now go and lie down in a dark room.. I may be sometime!!

Baz

it probably says something about how far the mighty Sunderland have fallen that you're pleased about beating Lincoln City!

• Like 5
  • Agree 4
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium

Just been announced we are going into tier 3 from Wednesday. It applies to all boroughs in Essex south of Chelmsford and Maldon as well as Epping. I was was planning to do a bit of Christmas shopping  later this week but thats off until the new year.

• Friendly/supportive 18