The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, AndyB said:

Bob. On my one theres a dial by the handbrake. Normal / mud / snow and ice / sand. I'm guessing your grown up one may have similar.

I may swap the cars round later to see if it works.

Our old Vauxhall's used to have a snow mode button on the centre console.

They were all automatics of the slush box variety and the button started the car in third gear,  which meant you didn't lay down too much power, thus causing wheel spin, when you moved off.

It was also good for getting on and off wet and muddy fields.

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 7

I've always been a bit of a tearaway on wheels, never been banned, but numerous fines and endorsements/points have appeared on my licence over the years, mostly speeding, nothing dangerous, but over the limit, at one point it was worth a party if I actually had a clean licence, it is now clean and I do keep a more watchful eye on the speedo these days. 

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Stillblue skies here. Her indoors and myself have been a walk and watched some cricket.

Sausage sandwiches for lunch.. Will it be Brown Sauce, Red Sauce or no sauce at all?  Red for me, mustard for her  

I did try the AWD button on Beast in the snow..it seemed to make driving easier.

Baz

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
56 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Our old Vauxhall's used to have a snow mode button on the centre console.

They were all automatics of the slush box variety and the button started the car in third gear,  which meant you didn't lay down too much power, thus causing wheel spin, when you moved off.

It was also good for getting on and off wet and muddy fields.

The number of times I've seen drivers trying to get unstuck from mud or snow using bottom gear and revving only to dig themselves in. 

• Like 5
  • Agree 12

Bzzz, hiss, bzz Here is the 12 o'clock news read by Alistair Side....bzzz, hiss

It. Is reported today that elements of the Lancashire. Bzz....hiss, crackle (Home guard Diversion) along with units from the Yorkshire ....bzzz, crackle.......(North west Highland....bzz, hiss) Brigade were involved yesterday in scuffles and unseemly behaviour with units of HH corps and......bzz, crackle PB regiment. The incident took place in atrocious weather with black ice ....,hiss, bzzzz  and patchy snow. No casualties were reported from either side.

And other news authorities are seeking the location of Auntie George and Uncle Ethel. If anybody has any...bzzz, Hiss's......, they are ask to contact there Nephew Gertrude at...,.......Hiss's,bzzzzzz.

Today's message is ' the rain......Hiss's,crackle..,.on the .........bzzz, hizz......

And we now return you to Glen Miller Moonlight decade.......hizzz, crackle.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 18

• RMweb Gold

Actually she, and you, have been injected with part of the Covid virus - riding on the back of a modified version of a virus which causes colds in Chimpanzees.    The bit of Covid virus you have been given will tackle the 'spike' parts of the Covid virus thus  allowing your immune systenm to tackle it.  But you needn't tell her any of that of course.  The Pfizer vaccine works in a different way so you have two shots of the same vaccine, they can't be mixed..

https://www.research.ox.ac.uk/Article/2020-07-19-the-oxford-covid-19-vaccine

• Like 5
  • Agree 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1

Greetings all from Sidcup which is blessed with beautiful blue skies. It was cold overnight but there was no snow to freeze; what little we had yesterday had gone within an hour or two. I was quite jealous of all the shots from other parts of London showing all the snow.

The weekend passed quietly as its wont these days. Football was watched, and now I am back "at" work again. I am due a delivery of a cake for Mrs Lurker's birthday, which is tomorrow. I am hoping it arrives before she gets back from work...! I am also hoping it arrives full stop or I won't be too popular tomorrow!

My Dad has been given his date for the second jab - I think it was April 5th. Once again the next door neighbour's jab is 5 minutes later so a lift is sorted!

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 3

1 hour ago, Winslow Boy said:

Bzzz, hiss, bzz Here is the 12 o'clock news read by Alistair Side....bzzz, hiss

It. Is reported today that elements of the Lancashire. Bzz....hiss, crackle (Home guard Diversion) along with units from the Yorkshire ....bzzz, crackle.......(North west Highland....bzz, hiss) Brigade were involved yesterday in scuffles and unseemly behaviour with units of HH corps and......bzz, crackle PB regiment. The incident took place in atrocious weather with black ice ....,hiss, bzzzz  and patchy snow. No casualties were reported from either side.

And other news authorities are seeking the location of Auntie George and Uncle Ethel. If anybody has any...bzzz, Hiss's......, they are ask to contact there Nephew Gertrude at...,.......Hiss's,bzzzzzz.

Today's message is ' the rain......Hiss's,crackle..,.on the .........bzzz, hizz......

And we now return you to Glen Miller Moonlight decade.......hizzz, crackle.

FOR YOUR EYES ONLY

COSMIC TOP SECRET

ATTN: Commander 99th Armoured Infantry Brigade; Commander 29th Special Armoured Force

Subterfuge successful STOP

Identities of the 99th Armoured Infantry Brigade ("Big Bad Bears") and 29th Special Armoured Force (“The Heavy Hippos“) undetected STOP

Home Guard and other interested parties misdirected STOP

Proceed with OPERATION PATISSERIE most immediate STOP

Commander Field Army

• Like 4
  • Funny 15

1 hour ago, Barry O said:

Stillblue skies here. Her indoors and myself have been a walk and watched some cricket.

p

Sausage sandwiches for lunch.. Will it be Brown Sauce, Red Sauce or no sauce at all?  Red for me, mustard for her  

Baz

Sausage sandwich here as well with red sauce. Great minds think alike!

• Like 16
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, polybear said:

Snuggling LDC in the warm fur of a Poly proves very effective - it'll be quite safe....honest....

I read that as sMuggling LDC in the warm fur of a Poly proves very effective - it'll be quite safe....honest.... :jester:

• Agree 3
  • Funny 15

1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

FOR YOUR EYES ONLY

COSMIC TOP SECRET

ATTN: Commander 99th Armoured Infantry Brigade; Commander 29th Special Armoured Force

Subterfuge successful STOP

Identities of the 99th Armoured Infantry Brigade ("Big Bad Bears") and 29th Special Armoured Force (“The Heavy Hippos“) undetected STOP

Home Guard and other interested parties misdirected STOP

Proceed with OPERATION PATISSERIE most immediate STOP

Commander Field Army

To: Allied Forces (Officer Commanding)

Intelligence has ascertained  increased radio traffic  amongst Axis forces is prelude to hostile action.STOP.

STRONGLY RECOMMEND that ALL allied forces be placed on STAGE TWO alert. STOP.

Uncle Ethel located.STOP.

Auntie George awaited. STOP.

END MESSAGE.

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Premium
46 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

And the big news - the GD queued for 35 minutes to get into the bank in order to pay in a cheque.   But I wonder what they have in there which attracts such big queues when we're for ever being told that most transactions are now being conducted using plastic cards in stead of real money?

Everyone else with a cheque to pay in because they've closed many other branches and those that are open are on reduced hours..

I've got to take a day off work, to get to a bank at the moment..

• Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, TheQ said:

I've got to take a day off work, to get to a bank at the moment

You can pay cheques in at post offices but I suspect your local post offices are closed too.

• Like 6
  • Agree 8

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. I tried to contact the UPS delivery agent earlier but the phone wasn't answered. I have now e-mailed the UPS customer complaints department and awaiting a reply. I also have an e-mail address for the UPS CEO in case I don't get a satisfactory answer. 

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 12