Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×

The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, Barry O said:

...and the technical journals are now full of "re-inventing the wheel as it makes us look good" articles..Pah!

Remember, do, that younger readers weren't there when the wheel was first invented.

• Agree 2
  • Funny 16

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, The Lurker said:

do you have a go at the "elvish" characters devised by Tolkien for his Sindarin etc?

I don't know what it looks like, as I've never seen it, or read the books. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

6 minutes ago, BSW01 said:

I don't know what it looks like, as I've never seen it, or read the books. 

Maybe not - but Ozexpatriate is a big Tolkien fan if I am not mistaken

I copied this from a google search of "Elvish writing"

image.png.68a49eb8bb911e09a9cf01ea983e9715.png

Now you know what you're missing.....or not ;)

It strikes me as something that is made for calligraphy, with the added bonus that there is no-one to tell you that you've done it wrong!

Edited by The Lurker
  • Like 11
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, The Lurker said:

Time for a bit more work*...enjoy your day

* but not until i see whether Jamie has posted anymore of his French holiday snaps

I sincerely  hope that my later posting today hasn't meant you having to work longer hours. Rest assured there is now a fresh batch of holiday snaps to peruse. 

Jamie

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, pH said:

I played soccer with a group of guys originally from all five continents (seven if you count South America and Oceania as distinct continents). The common language is English, dialect profanity.

In many of the 'rec' league soccer matches I see in the parks locally, the lingua franca seems to be Spanish. I do have a friend who plays (or did play) on a rec league, but his would be in English.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 7

5 hours ago, The Lurker said:

do you have a go at the "elvish" characters devised by Tolkien for his Sindarin etc?

Yes. The bottom illustration here is Tengwar in a Sindarin mode. The example is quite old. I would render the "ri" differently if I did it now - like this:

tengwar.PNG.16534b7a8791e3de3e83f712fa694827.PNG

3 hours ago, The Lurker said:

It strikes me as something that is made for calligraphy, with the added bonus that there is no-one to tell you that you've done it wrong!

True, on both counts.

The "rules" are complex and a simple letter substitution cipher is impossible. It is strictly phonetic - which is not obvious for people accustomed to English spellings. Then there are multiple modifiers including two in the illustration - like the 'hook' that drops down (a following 's') and the two dots below (a following 'y' / 'i').

The frontpiece to the volumes of "The Lord of the Rings" has examples in Sindarin mode and the frontpiece to "The Silmarillion" is in Quenya mode. Along with LOTR Appendix E, they are very illustrative.

A great deal of calligraphic latitude is possible. The ring inscription (as published) uses much taller (and Italicized) characters than illustrated in the frontpiece or Appendix E.

3 hours ago, The Lurker said:

I copied this from a google search of "Elvish writing"

That is a Quenya mode (following vowels). In Sindarin mode the vowels precede the character that carries them.

The rabbit hole can be pretty deep with eccentric Oxford professors who invent languages for their own amusement.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Remember, do, that younger readers weren't there when the wheel was first invented.

And that the Marketing Department is still trying to figure out what colour it should be. 

• Agree 4
  • Funny 11

My wife refers to my magazines as "comics"

Research too many these days rely on Wikipedia and it alone. 

Some dont even cross reference facts.

I consider my self well read one book i couldn't get on with was the Hobbit i struggled to get out of the first chapter.

Although i have had a couple of pints in tge Eagle and Child in Oxford where Tolkien and C S Lewis used to frequent. 

• Like 16
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

one book i couldn't get on with was the Hobbit i struggled to get out of the first chapter

Horses for courses there. At 13 or so I couldn't put it down and finished it in one session on the first night when school term ended. The next day I was knocking on the door of the friend from whom I borrowed it so I could read 'The Lord of the Rings'.

• Like 15

7 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

I consider my self well read one book i couldn't get on with was the Hobbit i struggled to get out of the first chapter. 

I’m glad I’m not the only one!

• Like 3
  • Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, pH said:

I’m glad I’m not the only one!

I resisted reading Tolkein because of the way people were gushing about it. Then I read The Hobbitt and finally LOTR and couldn't put it down. Not much sleep for about 3 nights.

Jamie

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Evening.

A question for those interested, or knowledgeable about garden birds.  There's an awful lot of them here, and they're full of it currently, but there is a call I haven't knowingly heard before, and I can't see which bird is making it as there are so many.  I can only describe it as sounding like a 2 year old child going down a slide - WHEEeeeee' !!  Quite loud and repeated every 10 seconds or so.  A lovely sound, I would like to know what bird it is.  Any ideas?  I'm a townie and no nothing of such things, but Mrs NHN is a farm gurl, but she doesn't know what it is.

• Like 11
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Not done a lot today except hunting down some connectors to enable connecting the two halves of the layout together. The ones I had thought were right turned out not to be so but now I've found some by Tamiya intended for R/C models that come complete with wires attached. They have been ordered and should be with me by early next week. Now its time to put the kettle on, be back later.

• Like 14