The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

12 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

It can be spelt either way, my name is spelt with two L's.

Yes indeed.

I do suspect that in the case of HRH, The Duke of Edinburgh it is the Greek spelling ( Φίλιππος ) that is influential. With one lambda, the translated result is one "L". I of course have no idea what is on his actual birth certificate / naturalization papers etc.

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

After this morning’s 2 shopping trips, the rest of the day was spent resting! Although I did do some work on working out ratios for some gearboxes I want to make for the engine shed doors. I want doors to go from closed to open in around 4 seconds, I settled on 3.75 as it makes the maths easier. The doors will move 90 degrees, which would be 1/4 of a revolution, so 4 x 3.75 makes 15 seconds for 1 revolution, meaning a final speed of 4 rpm. The next step will be to measure the speed of the motor, then I can work out a final ratio. For my calculations I’ve assumed the motor does 13200 rpm, to get a final speed of 4 rpm I need approximately 3300:1

This evening, we didn’t watch any TV, not that there was much to choose from! Instead we resorted to the digibox and watched some recorded TV instead, it’s always good to have back up. So we watched a couple of documentaries about WWII and a few some old episodes of ‘The Repair Shop’ far more entertaining than what was being broadcast, plus it freed up a bit more space for future recordings. 

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 3

11 hours ago, PupCam said:

I'm afraid Chris we'll have to agree to differ on this.     Personally, I can't see that an overseas holiday is actually that essential just at the moment as we attempt to extract ourselves from the grip of this evil pandemic (unless of course you run an airline or hotel in wherever ...)  and, bearing in mind that the country (and the world) has just about been bankrupted by it, I think that the cost of a test imposed by a self-inflicted trip away is not actually that unreasonable. 

Well, quite.  I think there are too many people who cannot think beyond their own personal space and contemplate on how this pandemic has affected their own country and the world, not just themselves.

To be quite frank, although painful in the short term, in the long term I think the loss of cheap, mass tourism can only benefit both the environment and the communities which were (pre-pandemic) devastated by hordes of unthinking, uncaring tourists just ticking off their Instagram inspired bucket list (either that or -worse- because the destination offered “a cheap piss up and a larf”).

Although the past year and a half has been mostly bad news, the good news this week was that the Italian government has finally banned the huge “cruise“ ships from entering Venice.

Although not wanting to return to those days when only the Über-rich could afford to travel abroad (although nowadays the Über-rich rarely go “commercial”).  If people had to save up and/or think twice before travelling because overseas travel having realistic costs (no more flights to Prague for £10) and entry requirements (CoVID vaccination proof or just-before-departure test) I think that communities and environment would benefit.

Unfortunately, there is too much money to be made providing instant gratification to the mass market (“saving up” for something is such a quaint notion nowadays, so Fifties) so things are unlikely to change that much.

7 hours ago, PeterBB said:

....One of the great problems in recent years with student names was that so many of them were incorrectly spelt and caused no end of problems not to mention others with such long names...

Not so new, Peter. When I was a graduate student teacher, lecturing undergrads in the late 70s, it was a truism amongst us GSTs that if a student had a name like John or Susan, then they would tend to be on the right-hand side three-quarters of the bell-shaped curve; but if they had a name like “Moomshine-Bluebell” or “positive Wasserman” (don’t ask) then 99 times out of a 100 they would do badly/fail (and the 1/100th would do spectacularly well).

The topic of given names evokes a strong reaction from me, having spent my childhood (late 50s/60s) in the UK bearing an untranslatable name, unlike my brother who was blessed with not one but three Christian names that translate well into all European languages (“Christian name” - now that’s a term you don’t hear any longer, one used to have a Surname and a Christian Name [presumably deriving from christening]. German just has name and vorname).

And on that linguistic note I bid you a great weekend!

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I make a point of calling it a Christian name.

Of which my first is of a WW2 battle in Africa that few of heard of, and as far as I know I'm the only one in the world with it.

My second Christian name, is normally a Scottish surname, there used to be a web site with counts of the number of people with that Christian or surname.. There were 175 people in the UK with that name as a Christian one.

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, chrisf said:

I consider that the BBC lost all sense of proportion in the extent of its coverage.  I wonder what else happened yesterday?  On past form we will never know.

I think yesterday was the first time in 12 months that the BBC News at 10pm did not mention any of the usual Covid statistics.

• Like 9
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Dullsday again, but never mind, its the weekend so I get 2 days of from doing bu66er all and can enjoy relaxing over the weekend.

Roof all sorted yesterday, and the man, 67 years old,  was up there in a Tee Shirt (NO hard hat, safety harness, steel toed boots, in fact he had trainers on) and did a splediforious job. Modern technology in the form of a camera in a phone enabled him to take pics of the problem, and the damage, and finally a couple of progress and finished photos for his records, and for us to see before parting with the Wonga.

No walk today, the back has already issued instructions on that front.

Have a good day one and all, stay safe and well, pump the iron if you can.:D:dancer:

Are you sure?

https://www.workwearexpress.com/footwear/safety-trainers?gclid=CjwKCAjw9r-DBhBxEiwA9qYUpbVUO8qJ7-vhulMCWVkQZEB5J9qo9g3UYdWToPNAR-0msRJBhOSJVxoCTfEQAvD_BwE

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Roof all sorted yesterday, and the man, 67 years old,  was up there in a Tee Shirt (NO hard hat, safety harness, steel toed boots, in fact he had trainers on) and did a splediforious job.

A neighbour of Bear had scaffolding put up for ONE missing roof tile....all courtesy of the insurance company.  No doubt their excess payment/hike in subsequent premiums for making a claim far exceeded what it would have cost for a man with a ladder.

• Like 13
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

9 minutes ago, polybear said:

A neighbour of Bear had scaffolding put up for ONE missing roof tile....all courtesy of the insurance company.  No doubt their excess payment/hike in subsequent premiums for making a claim far exceeded what it would have cost for a man with a ladder.

Old man with Ladder, he say; No problem, Bungalow with low roof. :o

• Like 10
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. A bit chilly this morning but Arthur Itis has been put back in his box by a brace of Nurofen.

9 hours ago, chrisf said:

Greetings one and all

The sad passing of Prince Philip was extensively reported yesterday, as is only right and proper.  However, feel free to disagree with me but I consider that the BBC lost all sense of proportion in the extent of its coverage.  I wonder what else happened yesterday?  On past form we will never know.

Something nice did happen yesterday.  Whoever chooses the records played on Tesco’s tannoy made the inspired choice of “My baby still cares for me” by Nina Simone.  That is the slinkiest record I know.  It injected just a little pleasure into the task of pushing the trolley/zimmer frame round the store.

Best wishes to all.  Honest.

Chris

BBC news as usual goes OTT with such happenings. For your information World War III has just started, only joking of course, or am I?:diablo_mini::jester:

Just about to play Nina Simone for the third time, be back later. 

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 13

3 hours ago, chrisf said:

Greetings one and all

The sad passing of Prince Philip was extensively reported yesterday, as is only right and proper.  However, feel free to disagree with me but I consider that the BBC lost all sense of proportion in the extent of its coverage.  I wonder what else happened yesterday?  On past form we will never know.

Chris

Just you wait until Brenda dies. You have seen nothing yet. 

Anyway the BBC will stop fawning when the bosses consider they have done enough for their knighthoods. 

But back to less cynical subjects, it is a grey but dry morning in North Somerset. I can see some blue sky in the distance, but it doesn't appear to be coming this way. 

I was quite shocked and saddened this morning to read of the medical problems Tracy Emin has had to endure. She had a large internal cancerous tumour on her bladder, which has now been removed; but the surgeons also took out her uterus, fallopian tubes, ovaries, lymph nodes and part of her . She now has a urostomy bag, which must be a nightmare - and she is only 57. At least her latest 3-monthly test has come back as 'clear', which is good. 

I give thanks that so far I have managed to survive with all my bits intact. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 11
  • Friendly/supportive 4