The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Of house prices, this quote is from our Local paper today (EDP24)

"Data from estate agent comparison site GetAgent has revealed that in North Norfolk, Breckland, South Norfolk and Broadland, house prices have increased more than the average annual net earnings in the same area."

That, In North Norfolk Where I live, is £24,753 or 127% of the local average wage.. (Average local wage £19,468)

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 14

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

It’s a little brighter than yesterday and there are some blue patches amongst the clouds. The car has been moved and both the bins have been emptied and returned to there normal position, so the area around the skip is clear for it’s removal. This was all done done before I sat down to eat my breakfast, that has now been consumed and I’m about to head off to the butchers for the weekly meat rations and hopefully a pastie for dinner. After that I’ll head off to the Trafford Centre for the rest of the comestibles. After dinner ill finish making the fruit tea loaf that I left soaking overnight. 

Stay safe, stay sane, enjoy whatever you have planned for the day, back later. 

Brian

• Like 17

Dry and sunny here in North Somerset, although the clouds are beginning to go vertical. 

I have had ear wax problems and also find Otex to be a great way of loosening the hardened variety. 

I remember having my ears syringed when I was in my 20s, and some rather un-nerving lumps of dark brown stuff emerged. It was only when I walked out into the street from the GP surgery that the noises hit me. The traffic sounds were so loud and far more complex noises than I had gotten used to. It was quite an un-nerving experience at first, to realise what I had not been able to hear a short while earlier. 

I now have tinnitus, which is like the worst continuous musical chord ever produced; but I have got used to it and only notice when I think about it. I blame loud music in the past, especially live concerts, and listening to albums on headphones with the volume on 12.

Oh well, life is not meant to be easy - or at least that is what I was told many decades ago.  

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 15

Actually Neil, by "singlet" and "rippling torsos" I'm thinking along these lines:

image.png.91c1e15adbc6addde665a2945653de14.png

Although a bit underwhelming on the "muscular arms" aspect (good rugged, square, jaw BTW)

iD

p.s. the still is from "In Which We Serve"

Edited by iL Dottore
Typo
  • Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Morning, suns out but still flippin' cold wind, a fair amount of the "G" word has already taken place in the greenhouse, we are off to Montrose to deliver a birthday gift and some tomato plants then the day is ours, might go into the local Glen looking for Adders as I still need a decent picture of a male for a Scottish magazine. Take care all and keep safe.

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

A similar situation around here, one person was buying up all the properties that came on the market for letting out. Mostly to eastern Europeans and in one two bedroom house she had three couples, two with young babies. Then suddenly the tenants moved out of several of the properties and they went back on the market. I know the elderly gent who lived next door to house where the three couples were and he told me that HMRC were involved. The woman who had owned the properties apparently skipped off to Lebanon from whence she came. One of the houses she owned was opposite me and has found a private buyer.

• Like 14
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

• RMweb Gold
49 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

One in particular stands out for sheer stupidity, he wants to stop all covid restrictions and to quote "Go back to normal". What a pi1lock.

Another candidate for my self-contained, unmonitored, unserviced Darwin Awards Room 101!   

I'd better check the drawings again,  I think I may have grossly underestimated the overall size required :unsure_mini:

• Agree 1
  • Funny 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

39 minutes ago, PupCam said:

Another candidate for my self-contained, unmonitored, unserviced Darwin Awards Room 101!   

I'd better check the drawings again,  I think I may have grossly underestimated the overall size required :unsure_mini:

I noticed that the same party is putting a candidate up for Essex County Council. They certainly won't be getting my vote.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 3

I DID paint the woodwork as the Sun was out and it was warm.

Rain not forecast until 3pm.

So WHY IS IT SNOWING NOW?

Well I guess that's not classed as rain.:banghead:

Its stopped again now, GOOD.:dancer:

• Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

50265713_10215043861390040_555625131511119872_n.jpg.950228ce1e775e7a72ac92928c408f8c.jpg

That piccy reminds Bear of an old (1940's?) B&W film - the ship's engine was busted and the only guy small enough (stupid enough?) to squeeze down into the tiny space below the big end was a little chinese guy.  The crank was secured from moving using planks and rope.  'Course the inevitable happened (added drama) and the crank revolved.....

2 hours ago, TheQ said:

Of house prices, this quote is from our Local paper today (EDP24)

"Data from estate agent comparison site GetAgent has revealed that in North Norfolk, Breckland, South Norfolk and Broadland, house prices have increased more than the average annual net earnings in the same area."

That, In North Norfolk Where I live, is £24,753 or 127% of the local average wage.. (Average local wage £19,468)

Bear predicts the Housing Market is heading for breakdown - the prices will rise to a point where no-one can afford anything (at least not where they want to live) and no-one will drop prices because they'd end up in negative equity.

(Source: Bear's Crystal Ball)

2 hours ago, jonny777 said:

I now have tinnitus, which is like the worst continuous musical chord ever produced; but I have got used to it and only notice when I think about it. I blame loud music in the past, especially live concerts, and listening to albums on headphones with the volume on 12.

Bear went for an Apprenticeship at BA Engineering, Heathrow; at the medical the Doc specifically warned me to stay away from concerts etc.  I guess he knew a bit about hearing loss, what with jet engines etc.

1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Chris mentioning mayoral elections reminded me that although I live just outside of London and can't vote for the London mayor we still get inundated with news and interviews of the candidates.

Bear is also just outside Greater London (so can't vote) yet earns one of their Post Codes - and the insurance prices that go with it...:angry:

In other news:

A bit of prep for a kitchen delivery - which after calling them is now "provisionally" scheduled for Sat or Sun; I'll receive an email this evening it seems.  Strong smell of B.S. detected.

A morning of The G Word - weeing sorry, weeding :laugh: in the garden.  Feels good when it's done, or will do later today.

Bear predicts that a raid on the Chippie may take place in the next few minutes...

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, polybear said:

Bear predicts the Housing Market is heading for breakdown - the prices will rise to a point where no-one can afford anything (at least not where they want to live) and no-one will drop prices because they'd end up in negative equity.

(Source: Bear's Crystal Ball)

That happened about 1988, just after I moved into this house. Fortunately I paid the same for this place as I got for my previous house so I just transferred the existing mortgage over. The only thing was it was an endowment mortgage so to be on the safe side I swapped it over to a repayment mortgage and as it turned out that was a good move. No negative equity but it came close at times.

• Like 17
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

When I got back from the Trafford Centre, the skip lorry was here, picking up the skip. So I waited a few yards away until he'd finished and after he'd passed me, I drove the car back onto the drive. 

The price of houses around here is absolutely staggering, but they've always been high. When we bought our house 41 years ago, we could just about afford our mortgage when we bought. Due to personal links that Sheila had via work (she worked for an estate agent) we were able to get quite a good rate for the solicitor. However, as the interest rates kept rising, I had to work as much overtime as I could get and we still had to tighten our belts. At one point I even got rid of the car and got a push bike just to save money. Luckily I only worked 3 miles away and occasionally a neighbour gave me a lift during the winters. 

Despite being on a very good salary when I retired, given the current price of our house, I wouldn't have been able to get a mortgage. I really feel for the young who are trying to buy at the moment. 

Edited by BSW01
  • Like 11
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Our mortgage was a 'with profits endowment type', luckily we bought it at the right time, when we cashed it in after 20 years, (which was 5 years early) we could have paid off our mortgage 3 times! 

Edited by BSW01
  • Like 14
  • Round of applause 3

• RMweb Gold

G'day all,

The forecast cloudy sky is duly preseent but the forecast for much later precipitation is running much earlier that Exe seaweed was able to imply.  Good for the weeds though (and the no weeds too, hopefully).

according to local crooks estate agents we are living in a highly desirable house in a highly desirable area with lots of buyers looking to move in.  Well three large(r than ours) houses within c.100 yards of us have sold in recent weeks so maybe the crooks estate agents are telling the truth for once (that must surely happen some time?).  But the local 'paper is predicting doom as school place applications are dropping rapidly allegedly due to high house prices putting off families - so they obviously haven't included those moving in opposite us who have a 4 year old and a 7 year old.  But prices here are rising and according to some statistics I found on the 'net the local level of household debt is well above the national average, which doesn't surprise me in the least.

As for negative equity it is mostly a totally meaningless term because it really only has any meaning when you have to sell your home for less than you paid for it.  if you don't need to move the price your home would fetch is near irrelevant, but it can be very hard on those who have no choice about moving.

As for elections we are only having to go for a new County Councillor.  Of the three leaflets we have received two were clearly written by brain dead idiots who haven't even bothered to read existing CC policy documents freely available online.  Hence their (similar) proposals that when elected they will make sure the CC introduces a  policy about whatever betrays their ignorance that it already has one.  But judging by letters in the local 'paper plenty of likely voters are equally ignorant so the brain dead might well get some votes - it was ever thus I reckon.

Have a good day one and all and stay safe

• Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all.

It was sunny but is cloudy now. I did manage to watch the last bit of the F1 practice from Portugal. I would have watched more but Aditi asked if I would see why her version of Zoom didn’t behave like the “how to “ video online. I did succeed but only by looking in every menu.  
Tony

• Like 16