Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Evening all. What a day. Didn't start well but at least it improved with age.

I had been thinking I would need new front tyres on the car very soon, but coming home late on Wednesday night the car developed strange suspension noises. I couldn't pin it down and wasn't using it yesterday so took it for an inspection this morning which found a broken offside front spring. Luckily it had only failed at low speed a short distance from home. The garage managed to get the bits needed and fitted plus the two tyres replaced this afternoon so no prolonged time out of service.

My opthalmology checkup had been postponed last year due to the pandemic and I hadn't heard anything of the promised new date. I called the appointments system and was told I was on the waiting list. The operator said he would check possible dates and came back to announce that there was a cancellation for next Monday, was i available? 

After picking the car up I went to see the boys playing in a cricket match tonight. Another good performance with the little one taking a wicket and scoring ten runs whilst the big one took two wickets in a ten run victory. It was the second win of the week after handing out  an absolute thrashing on Wednesday where the little one took three wickets for four runs including a spectacular diving c&b and the big one kept wicket for the first half of the opposition's innings getting a stumping, then came on to bowl, took a wicket then after failing to hold a half chance off his own bowling picked up the ball and hit the stumps to get a run out. 

I said the day got better and as I didn't feel like a big meal when I got home I had a smoked bacon omelet.

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Over a hundred pages since last viewed - wow so probably not up to date ... Bakers day ... went back to find out.  Liked the big and little cricket notes from a proud dad quite a change since Baz is normally the cricket man.  Also reminded, via this cricket trigger, that my county have actually won a match and managed not to lose against another county during which three of its batsman made centuries.

Training days were fine until you were told informed rather than chose the sessions that you had to attend.  True, some of them were useful but some ... then there were the half-terms - for the students but that otherwise became known as  EMW - everybody marking weeks.  

Hope Dave's Dad gets his mojo back and the 'Swiss' doctor sounds like the future source for antibody donation.

Covid jabs just realised that a month has passed since J2 but still not happy to 'mix'.

My very very quick scam through did not pickup any GDB comments and also noticed a fair number of others not posting ... are we all suddenly finding ourselves totally occupied that time just goes by so quickly ... or SWMBO seems to find yet another thing that needs doing - preferably now?

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Goodnight all 

• Thanks 9

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, PeterBB said:

Liked the big and little cricket notes from a proud dad quite a change since Baz is normally the cricket man

Proud grandad actually. They play under 11's at two clubs in different leagues. The little one is only just 9 and a strip of wind to look at him but one of the coaches describes him as their secret weapon because he looks such a little tot but has a good bowling action and has this skidding yorker which is as fast as any of the 11 year olds. His acrobatic fielding comes from playing in goal for the local football team.

• Like 18
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

Dr. SWMBO tells me, with slight reluctance, that her BBC Radio 3 interview will be broadcast in a future edition of Free Thinkers on a date to be advised.  Several of her colleagues feature in the Channel 5 mini-series "Kew Gardens - A Year In Bloom" which was filmed across 2017-20; the first of four "seasons" was aired last night with the remaining three on Thursdays at 20 o'clock.  She is not featured but her work visibly is.  https://www.channel5.com/show/kew-gardens-a-year-in-bloom/  

Oh, dear! I knew that would be a mistake... starting to watch all those Kew Gardens videos! :mosking:

I was hooked from the very beginning. All those days out with Mum over the years (last visit together 2015) - each turn of the camera and we had been there...up in the tree canopy, inside with the waterlillies, over the bridge watching nesting swan on the island & ducks swimming on the lake, wandering around the palm house & temperate house, following peacocks to get a photo, admiring the garden displays, not  being allowed in the Princess of Wales house because David Attenborough was filming in there so sitting out in the sunshine admiring the views! Such wonderful memories relived.

Thanks for posting the link. Some truly magnificent & fascinating content. Looking forward to watching the rest of it.

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Premium
36 minutes ago, Barry O said:

Ey up!

It isn't raining here.. yet. The sky has a lot of very dark clouds in it. Weather people reckon it will start to chuckitdarn at 9am. Pah!

Baz has caused Bear to check the weather report for today - and tomorrow - just outside Bear Towers.  Not much danger of being able to cut 6 foot end panels with the circular saw....:angry:

Double Pah!

Don't fancy doing it indoors, somehow.....

• Friendly/supportive 17

3 minutes ago, polybear said:

.......so the tactical strike is on:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Manchester+M60+0AG/@53.4876199,-2.2398163,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x487bb1b838a5e145:0xc8a58e2f18c7fe49!8m2!3d53.488077!4d-2.2374459?hl=en

We attack at 10-15 BST  (or 09-15 Zulu Time for Special Forces Members).  Don't be late.

Is that wise poly? Declaring ones intentions so far in advance, members of the SCS (Special Cake Service) could carry out a pre-emptive strike.

Won't be the South Derbyshire battalion though........

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

‘ morning all from red dragon land. 

Sun in and out at present but showers all day. Max 12C, light wind. No G word today.

Toot on the flute & M word then. Oh, and catching up on here. :mosking:

But breakfast first.

Take care all and play safe.

Polly

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Tony_S said:

This explains something. MiL had been looking at the record sheets produced by her overnight carer. MiL said she doesn’t get up that often. Aditi spoke to her Mum and it seems both MiL and the carer were right.  However MiL wasn’t counting the time she got out of bed before going to sleep and the time when she goes to the bathroom when waking in the morning. 

The paperwork has a definition of 'Night Time' which is 'When the Household has closed down at the end of the Day' - but how does this apply to Care Home residents as they have staff on duty all the time and so it doesn't 'close down' at night time. I appreciate that the situation is different for those still living at home with an overnight carer sleeping there in case of need.

See page 20 of this document

Click Here for Attendance Allowance Claim Form

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

Some one is peeing on our little part of Amp Sher, so not walking this morning, and now an early breakfast today, and then a well planned day ahead, with nothing planned and so it will be a case of what shall I do next.

Agh yes, sit down with the planning Dept and see if there is anything that needs planning.:swoon:

Have a good day one and all, stay safe and well.

Time for the morning exercise.:dancer:

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, leopardml2341 said:

Is that wise poly? Declaring ones intentions so far in advance, members of the SCS (Special Cake Service) could carry out a pre-emptive strike.

Won't be the South Derbyshire battalion though........

Not ideal, but necessary due to fellow ER'ers needing to get permission to go out and "play" from SWMBO....

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 15

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, polybear said:

Not ideal, but necessary due to fellow ER'ers needing to get permission to go out and "play" from SWMBO....

Air support will be dependent on movement clearance from the authorities (SWMBO) and can only happen once the shopping has been done.

Dave

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. The jab on Thursday is beginning to take effect, sore arm, stiff joints etc. The stiff joints clear up as soon as I start moving. In the news this morning, not sure if this should be in the bridge bashing thread. 

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/breaking-huge-120-tonne-bridge-24114649#source=push

Now to run a bath, be back later.

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 3