The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

I once went to an early Microsoft Windows preview. I said it was going to do well and was told by everyone else at work I was talking rubbish and it would never sell 

> Agree.

> There's no way it can compete with that green caret prompt. 

Edited by Compound2632
  • Round of applause 3
  • Funny 9

11 hours ago, JohnDMJ said:

With respect, you, as an employee tied up in the 30 second farce, seem to have missed my point.

Simply, the time published in any form of timetable represents the time at which the doors close. The train departs up to 30 seconds after this event.

European countries such as Germany, France, Netherlands, Switzerland have mastered this concept. It seems that this is beyond comprehension in the UK!

Unless it's changed since, my experience of German railways while Interailing etc. was that they began to move precisely as the sweep second hand passed he 12.  The joke on this Germanic precision was that long distance expresses were often half an hour or so late by the time they'd gone a few hundred miles.

I've never been aware of the departure time in any railway timetable anywhere being anything other than the time the train is scheduled to depart not the last time that passengers can board it. Making the published departure time earlier than the actual departure time would mean using different timings in public and working timetables leading to endless work and endless confusion. The same goes for airline timings and even theatres. If the play is due to start at 7PM then that's the time the audience expect to be in their seats ready for the off, not the time they shoould think about entering the auditorium.

There is by the way nothing new in this.

1936317319_Coachadvert.jpg.aab5471d3583ba3ff4825dda9951a176.jpg

Note the "Quarter before Seven o'Clock precisely!" From all accounts the Royal Mail coaches were even stricter about timings and their guards really did log their times to the minute. Whether you really could set your clock by the time of the London mail coach's passing is less certain.

Edited by Pacific231G
  • Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, leopardml2341 said:

Sorry, but I just couldn't resist - there's a certain 'Toy Story' feel to that pic :D

5 hours ago, southern42 said:

Snip...

Just found out they do a black snood....

Snip...

Just found out we have one!

You just wait 'til I get it on...

• Like 14
  • Funny 3

My Uncle Michael used to work for GNER as a train manager this was a second career he was a commercial artist designing print ads and packaging doing hand drawings until computers really impacted the business making it unviable. GNER issued certain staff members radio controlled watches to try and ensure punctuality.

Sorry for the digression in this post

• Like 14

Good Evening awl, although there remains doubt over the opening word! A light snack and an early night are envisaged.

Elsewhere, the logic employed by train schedulers does vary from country to country and depends, to a large extent, on the type of service offered. The UK tends to be very much point-to-point whilst Switzerland, for example, relies on changing trains. In the latter case, the preference is to bunch trains together at the connection stations with timings based on how many platforms need to be traversed to reach the target train; on this basis, the distinction between 'door closure' time and 'departure' time can be significant as you will not always arrive 10 or more minutes ahead of your departure!

10 hours ago, grandadbob said:

Whenever I get a train (very rarely these days and not at all since the beginning of Covid) I always try to get to the station at least 10-15 minutes before the due time so 30 seconds here or there doesn't bother me in the slightest.

Interestingly, the most efficient I have seen my local station operate was during the rail strikes a few years ago. Only two services in each direction were offered: Chichester to London and Bognor to Brighton (via Littlehampton). Due to the track layout, trains heading UP worked and connected well; trains heading DOWN did not always as the guard was often all too keen to keep to the timetable than to provide a service (although some did)!

10 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

I watch, on a fairly regular basis, Japan Railway Journal and in one episode they had a feature on Tokyo Subway driver training. After learning the route, the trainee driver - with the instructor in the cab - would have to cover the speedometer and complete the route keeping to the set speed limits (+/- 5 seconds [or less?], if I recall correctly) without reference to the speedometer. I wonder how many drivers in the London Underground, the Paris Metro or the Berlin U-Bahn could do that?

JRJ is a fascinating look into the world of Japanese railways. Although privatised, Japanese railways offer a level of comfort and service that few other countries (if any) can match. NHK World, who broadcasts JRJ, have had a number of presenters over the years, unfortunately - for 2021 - the sole episode made and broadcast had a clueless, female, social media “influencer” and the episode was unwatchable - the problem being the underlined items, not that the presenter was female…

Why TV feels that it needs to court the social media “influencer” is beyond me. I am certain there are far more people not influenced than influenced by these internet nonentities…

Andy Warhol: you were right….

iD, Indeed, there has only been one new episode of JRJ this year but, in many respects, it was refreshing. In a parallel universe (in which I note your participation), it has already been observed that the two original presenters were keen to take the limelight; Russell not so much and the guest was allowed to contribute more; Nathan less so.

It is commented in this parallel universe that the new presenter was chosen for having an interest in railways but more to bring Ryo into the forefront with conversation rather than set interview.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 8

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Nipped down to Tess Coes after lunch only having to take a four mile detour when I got within sight of the store. The reason was a heavy lorry jammed under the railway bridge at Pitsea so I had to retrace my steps and go via the A13. Not sure if the trains were stopped but I did see a van marked up 'Network Rail Response Unit' as I left Tess Coes. All was not lost however as my return route took me past the garage that services my car so I booked it in for a service and MoT which is due by the end of the month. Tea is mashed, be back later.

• Like 16

1 hour ago, southern42 said:

Conwy Valley Railway, adjacent to and over the bridge from Betws-y-coed Station (Conwy Valley Line from Llandudno Junction to Blaenau Ffestiniog, connecting with the Ffestiniog Railway, narrow gauge) with its Class 150.

IMG_3717.jpg.42d189cd3fbc731819dbda16da223365.jpg

IMG_3726.jpg.8feab0bf63b0da4a81d6ab82ac25dbbc.jpg

Hope this helps.

Is this the line that is at the museum at Betws y coed and goes round the lake?

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Venturing (with some trepidation) into the discussion on departure/door closing times, I don't know what should have happened, but at Leeds station pre-pestilence, our local services tended to depart within a few seconds of the advertised departure time. I usually caught the 17.15 local service and sat or stood in a carriage where I could see a digital clock on the platform. Now this was Leeds in the rush hour, so plenty of exceptions but maybe about half the time, the guard would close the doors around 17.14.40-50 and give two buzzes about 17.15.00-10. We rarely started moving more than a few seconds before 17.15.00 (despite having a green light for a couple of minutes before) and the mode must have been somewhere between then and 17.15.30. 

There was a London KX GNER train which nominally was a 17.14 departure but which usually left after us. Some days it would leave at the same time and parallel us out of the station for some distance. It rarely left on the advertised departure time, despite often having closed doors just after 17.13 (and usually having a green). 

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

1 hour ago, Coombe Barton said:

... We’ve had Pete from the Street, now we have Phil from the Hill ...

Once team England's run at the UEFA championship is done (irrespective of the results), I wonder if anyone would be able to analyse how many more SARS-CoV-2 infections resulted, than had they lost in the first round.

Similarly while the audience at SW19 makes for a much greater experience for the players, I personally find it disconcerting to see people packed in so close together in a relatively enclosed space - truly enclosed when the roof is shut.

I note that >50% of Britons are fully vaccinated.

Locally (in Oregon) we're at 54.2% fully vaccinated, 59.1% vaccinated with one shot and >70% of adults vaccinated with one shot. Cases are declining. We lifted all restrictions last week and many people* are still wearing masks while shopping, but I expect that behaviour to change fairly quickly.

* 50%?

Nationally cases are creeping up slightly** - not nearly to the same extent as the present 'bathtub' curve in the UK.

** mostly in states with lower vaccination rates

• Like 12

Despite my lack of sleep last night I've not been too grumpy today and I've achieved quite a bit.

Maybe tomorrow will be the c@ckwomble apocalypse :)

For now, at least,  goodnight folks.

• Like 14
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Timetabling on BR post-Beeching became a game of seeing how effectively you could discourage the public from using trains. Back around 1967 I was on holiday in Cornwall. I decided to try to do all of the remaining GWR branches in one day whilst there so went to the station to enquire about timetables. I was given a combined bus and rail booklet for the whole of Cornwall. When I asked about tickets and the station man found I worked for BR he said you will need this as well. He handed me a duplicated sheet of  trains which apparently didn't connect in the timetable, which was cunningly arranged to show the branch trains missing main line trains by two or three minutes. He told that there was a whole system of train delaying tactics employed so that these connections could be used for the benefit of staff and the local people.

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. I forgot to look at the Dawlish live webcam earlier so if there was any excitement I was too late. Thats one thing on my bucket list in the possible but unlikely category. To ride a train through Dawlish with the waves breaking over the train.

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6