Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

Perhaps we should ask AndyY if certain posts could come with a “trigger warning“?

Is a new handle or new head needed for the broom? I am sure you will get lots of advice on the best place to obtain them! 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

Either what you had composed in your head made perfect sense

I assumed the dinosaurs were their feathered flying descendants. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 8

26 minutes ago, Pacific231G said:

Good afternoon all and Happy Birthday Baz.

Au contraire, iD what I wrote was entirely scientifically valid.

Birds are now accepted by most palaeontologists as being therapod dinosaurs just as the dominant large animal species on our planet right now is an ape. (They are in the same group as the velociraptors that provided some  good plot value in Jurassic Park).  Although we tend to think of dinosaurs as living in the same time period, the eighty million years between the extinction of the Stegosaurus and the arrival of the Tyrannosaurus is far greater than the sixty six million years separating the latter's disappearance in the K-T extinction (probably caused by a large asteroid or comet)  and now.

We have no problem accepting the small shrew like creatures that survived the K-T as mammals so it would be illogical not to accept birds as being the one group of small dinosaur species* that also survived.

*(There is fossil evidence that of all the avian dinosaurs, it was only the ground dwelling species that survived the K-T because of the resulting global deforestation. I can't help thinking that there is a lesson for us in that!) 

Sadly for Jurassic Park there is now evidence that the 'raptors and a number of other dinosaurs had a feathery covering so might have looked very different from the CGI imaginings.

The latest consensus seems to be that the Chicxulub crater is the "smoking gun" - the asteroid that caused the K-T extinction.

• Like 6
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 6

46 minutes ago, Pacific231G said:

...Au contraire iD,  what I wrote was entirely scientifically valid.

Birds are now accepted by most palaeontologists as being therapod dinosaurs just as the dominant large animal species on our planet right now is an ape. (They are in the same group as the velociraptors that provided some  good plot value in Jurassic Park).  Although we tend to think of dinosaurs as living in the same time period, the eighty million years between the extinction of the Stegosaurus and the arrival of the Tyrannosaurus is far greater than the sixty six million years separating the latter's disappearance in the K-T extinction (probably caused by a large asteroid or comet)  and now.

We have no problem accepting the small shrew like creatures that survived the K-T as mammals, not just creatures that mammals are descended from,  so it would be illogical not to accept birds as being the one group of small dinosaur species* that also survived.

*(There is fossil evidence that of all the avian dinosaurs, it was only the ground dwelling species that survived the K-T because of the resulting global deforestation. I can't help thinking that there is a lesson for us in that!) 

Oh! Now I understand. :D

I have no doubt that birds have a long ancestry dating back to a small ground-dwelling dinosaur. Unlike some, I believe that the geological and paleontological evidence is more than compelling, it's about as solid as such evidence can be.

As to our perception that they were just animals, instead of some [or many?] being tool-using sentient, self-aware beings, is perhaps wishful thinking. Sixty-million years (or more) erases an awful lot (even plastics and radioactives will degrade and disappear in 60 million years). Who knows, if we were able to go back in time by 70 million years we might find a society of saurians listening to the equivalent of iTunes whilst complaining that the equivalent of the railway was running late, again.....

iD

• Like 13
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

9 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

I have no doubt that birds have a long ancestry dating back to a small ground-dwelling dinosaur. Unlike some, I believe that the geological and paleontological evidence is more than compelling, it's about as solid as such evidence can be.

As to our perception that they were just animals, instead of some [or many?] being tool-using sentient, self-aware beings, is perhaps wishful thinking. Sixty-million years (or more) erases an awful lot (even plastics and radioactives will degrade and disappear in 60 million years). Who knows, if we were able to go back in time by 70 million years we might find a society of saurians listening to the equivalent of iTunes whilst complaining that the equivalent of the railway was running late, again.....

iD

It's a nice thought and entirely possible that 66m years after our extinction there would be no trace of our cleverness apart from a few fossils.  What may argue against a dino equivalent of us is the number and range of large dinosaurs that were around at the time of their extinction. Given how good at problem solving birds such as corvids are now known to be (dropping stones into a container to raise the water level enough to drink it is something your cat would likely never figure out)  there's no reason  why a dinosaur with our level of intelligence couldn't have emerged. However, if it had then the fossil record would surely include a preponderance of that one species during the time they were around and a likely deficit of very large dinos. (Think of the woolly rhinos, giant kangaroos, mammoths, Buffalo, giant ground sloths, giant deer and moas that went extinct once we showed up)

There is an interesting (albeit very repetitive and annoyingly American) TV series, Life After People that looks at just how long it would take for most and finally all trace of humankind to vanish if we were suddenly not around, 

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Pacific231G said:

It's a nice thought and entirely possible that 66m years after our extinction there would be no trace of our cleverness apart from a few fossils.  What may argue against a dino equivalent of us is the number and range of large dinosaurs that were around at the time of their extinction. Given how good at problem solving birds such as corvids are now known to be (dropping stones into a container to raise the water level enough to drink it is something your cat would likely never figure out)  there's no reason  why a dinosaur with our level of intelligence couldn't have emerged. However, if it had then the fossil record would surely include a preponderance of that one species during the time they were around and a likely deficit of very large dinos. (Think of the woolly rhinos, giant kangaroos, mammoths, Buffalo, giant ground sloths, giant deer and moas that went extinct once we showed up)

There is an interesting (albeit very repetitive and annoyingly American) TV series, Life After People that looks at just how long it would take for most and finally all trace of humankind to vanish if we were suddenly not around, 

Aren't the Crocodillians the other major animal group to survive from that era.

Jamie

• Like 7
  • Agree 7

Well the capital of the Principality has an extreme weather warning until at least Thursday

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-57893385

My car had been stood in the sun all day on Saturday - got in it at 17:00 and the dashboard gauge proclaimed 37c :o

Dave

who is staying indoors as he burns like a lobster if not extremely careful.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 17

Evening all 

Happy birthday Baz you share the day with the Mrs.

Archeoptryx remains have been found in the fossil record which show they were feathered. They are supposedly the link between the flying reptile and modern birds.

@chrisf I like Kate Rusby too, as well as Sea sick Steve i started out with nothing and still got most of it left. I also like the Unthanks but they always remind me of Dalziel steelworks which  is on Unthank Road 

• Like 15
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Pacific231G said:

I Given how good at problem solving birds such as corvids are now known to be (dropping stones into a container to raise the water level enough to drink it is something your cat would likely never figure out)  there's no reason  why a dinosaur with our level of intelligence couldn't have emerged. However, if it had then the fossil record would surely include a preponderance of that one species during the time they were around and a likely deficit of very large dinos. 

If you enjoy Sir Pterry's discworld writings, some of the associated 'The Science of Discworld' books have interesting takes on this, e.g. a civilisation of crabs.

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

iD

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. When it comes to intelligence there is an animal, a mammal living on Earth today that some reckon is at least as intelligent as primates. That animal is the Dolphin 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolphin. What if there was an animal 66 million years ago that had that sort of intelligence but like the dolphin was confined to the oceans. Another thing is the dinosaurs were reptiles, and many were cold blooded relying on the sun to warm their bodies, not only to get their muscles to work but their brains as well. This might be one of the reasons why the dinosaurs went extinct 66 million years ago. The ash thrown up by the meteorite strike would have blotted out the sun for several years.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 6
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, The Lurker said:

We've been to Silverstone. Racing was enjoyed. Christian Horner was booed.

Can't imagine why...:laugh:

Incidentally, his guy had an impact of 51g when he hit the tyres.  I'll bet he knew about that this morning.

3 hours ago, The Lurker said:

And now back to work I suspect this laptop is not too keen on the heat as it has cut out about 4 times today, usually when I am on a Teams call. I have got no more of those scheduled for the day so hopefully it will work for the rest of the day.

If you haven't done so recently it might be worthwhile taking the bottom off and checking for a build up of dust in the fan etc. Often works wonders, and can be pretty scary just how much dross builds up in there.

In other news:

Bear has glued the big chunk of wallpaper to the wall - it took all afternoon for ONE strip of paper; very fiddly, with lots of angles, corners, window reveal, worktop jutting out, sink unit jutting out - but less than the worktop etc. etc.  I had hoped to get it finished, but I've still got a 7ft long(ish) x 3" wide strip to do - that's an easy bit though, and will wait until tomorrow.

Puppers is really missing out when not having such fun.....

Bear's Tip of The Day:

Stay out of the Loft - Bear's wallpapering tools were there....:heat:

Bear's Bonus Tip of the Day (Part One):

Ovens work very well as a Toaster....when you remember to turn them on.....:banghead:

Bear's Bonus Tip of  the Day (Part Two):

Toast tastes best when it's not black.  The kitchen doesn't look foggy either....:angry:

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 15