Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

59 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

... honestly, I never expected to be discussing the type of underwear, or not, that ladies wore, or not, or had worn, or not ...

Well I'll comment. Are the chocolate bespectacled juvenile reindeer* a recognizable character from popular entertainment, or one without licensing royalties? (Asking for a friend.)

* Irrespective of whether juvenile reindeer actually have antlers.

Here we have Halloween to hold back the Christmas tide. (Yes there is a pun there.) The moment Labor Day was over, aisles were brimming with Halloween merchandise and bulk confectionary. The latest 'innovation' seems to be yard signs conflating college football allegiances with Autumn colours and Halloween tropes - quite the seasonal mélange - it's only missing the smell of (so-called) pumpkin spice!

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 10
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, JohnDMJ said:

Suggestion on their website is that the ladder is good for 150kg or in excess of 23 stone! Therefore, the design has been proven to at least 165kg loading.

Is the ladder 'so old' that it does not carry a design safety 'plate'?

At an educated guess I'd say it's 30-ish years old - there's no sign of a SWL plate/sticker - of course if it were a sticker then it may have come adrift over the years, but others have survived.....

Of course whilst there may be a SWL, what detrimental effects the summer loft temperatures may have had on the plastic components is anybody's guess....

A pair of these are currently favourite, as they should add a fair degree of safety factor in the event of failure:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08C5L6R5Q/ref=crt_ewc_title_dp_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1I3O6RTAPMS4Z

As for tomorrow,  dunno....:dontknow:

Bvgger - Bear's Outlook Events Calendar tells me that doing the washing is the order of the day.  Poo.

And then I can make it up as I go along; I'd really quite like to start on prep for refurbing the lounge, but I'm not going there until the kitchen is fully finished and signed off.  Bear's don't multitask.

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Learnt something today about aircraft following answers to IDs quiz - just shows RM has many and various functions.

911 - there we were enrolling students when the principal came in and informed each table quietly and separately of the horrific events - and everywhere suddenly went quiet.  Have remembered it over the years but had not actually realised that it was 20 years ago.

Time is odd because for some reason another memory picture has just come flooding in - where I was when the seat that returned Churchill in the 1951 General election and now the night when President Kennedy was shot.  This last also potentially saved me from gas poisoning as staying up very late with the news on working (well you do sometimes have very late nights doing same when a student) slipped off the chair and realised that the gas fire was still going and there was no ventilation ... 

Hope Dave H's forthcoming experience is not too unpleasant and of curse the last post reminds one of 'kickerbockerglory 'or some such name from the Paddington Bear books = someone just 'nude' that that would be the case.

Edited by PeterBB
spelling
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

8 minutes ago, PeterBB said:

'... kickerbockerglory 'or some such name from the Paddington Bear books = someone just 'nude' that that would be the case.

If I'm not mistaken, the ursine marmalade fan from darkest Peru (despite wellies, floppy hat and a toggle coat) was sans pants* (nude or otherwise tinctured).

* Not unlike the Disney Ducks (multiple)**

** Not a Flavio quiz but without Googling, are there more than six?

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 14

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

A bit later than anticipated: The Aircraft, Airline and Air Travel Quiz (and I'm sure our resident aviator @Dave Hunt will ace it!)

1.    You are piloting a commercial airliner into SFO. SFO ATC contacts you, prefixing the message with “Speedbird Two-Eight-Five Super-Heavy”. You are flying…

a.   A Virgin Atlantic Airline Boeing 787-9

b.   An United Airline Boeing 777

c.   An American Airlines Airbus A321neo

d.   A Delta Airlines Boeing 717

e.   A British Airways Airbus A380

2.    Which one is the odd bird out: Kestrel, Skua, Condor, Storch (Stork), Albatross, Flamingo?  

3.    What are “circuit and bumps”?

4.    What do the Basler BT-67, the Nakajima L2D, and the Lisunov Li-2 have in common?

5.    What was the big irony about/in the 1969 Film The Battle of Britain?

6.    You have motored down to Southampton, had a spot of lunch and boarded the Imperial Airways’ Short Empire Flying Boat Cygnus (G-ADUZ). In about ___ hours / days / weeks you will arrive in Sydney. About how long will be your flight?

a.    48 Hours

b.    72 hours

c.     10 Days

d.    21 Days

e.    4 Weeks

7.    You have completed 45 hours of flight time, passed seven written exams, completed a solo cross-country flight and not killed your examiner during a flight test. You have your PPL and are now permitted to

a.   Fly your mates around and charge them a small fee for the privilege

b.   Act as pilot in command (PIC) in non-commercial operations on aeroplanes

c.   Fly jet planes like an Airbus A380 or a Typhoon

d.   Fly during the night or in very limited visibility

e.   Touch the aircraft

8.    Mix and Match: Match the cockpit instruments to the right category: Visual flight rules (VFR) or Instrument flight rules (IFR)  - note: Nasty Trick Question

adjustable altimeter, airspeed indicator, altimeter, an artificial horizon, clock, compass, directional gyro, rate of turn indicator, slip-skid indicator,

9.    What is the difference between a nacelle and a cowling?

10.  It is the year 2000 and most airlines have banned smoking onboard passenger planes. Unfortunately, you can’t go for 20 minutes without a cigarette. Your boss says that you have to fly to Tokyo for business or loose your job. Wanting (and needing) to keep your job, with which airline do you fly? Air Canada?, American Airlines?, Aerolineas Argentinas?, Aeroflot?, British Airways?, ANA? or JAL? 

BONUS QUESTION: What does the acronym SABENA stand for? (two possible answers, one serious).

And upon that note, I shall make my way along the Jetway, board the SIA Airbus A380, greet the cabin crew, turn left and plonk myself down in Seat Suite 2A... :D:dancer: and wish you a super POETS day with a tip of my Champagne glass...

iD

I will not answer those questions that have been correctly answered but I will try to answer some that haven't been answered correctly.

2) the odd one out is the Skua, it was a carrier borne naval aircraft the others were land based.

Question 4 has been answered but I'll add another question, the Nakajima L2D and the Lisunov Li-2 were given code names by the allies and NATO respectively. What were those names?

5) The 'German' Aircraft were all powered by Rolls Royce Merlins, the same engine that powered the Spitfires and Hurricanes in the B-o-B. As an aside you can see 1960's tower blocks in some of the aerial shots.

9) A nacelle does not necessarily contain an engine. It can carry the undercarriage, bombs, guns or supplies to be dropped by parachute. A cowling is an engine cover.

• Like 10
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

Flamin’ Ada, Tony. That was fast…
It looks like this quiz was not fiendishly difficult enough. Gonna have to get really nasty with the next one….

iD

Good game Dottore, gave the little grey cells a good workout. Here are a few others some of which, if not fiendish, may require some thinking rather than just knowledge.

1. In Britain,  light aircraft pilots typically use an altimeter setting known as QNH (height above sea level) when flying cross country but QFE (height above an aerodrome's elevation)  when landing.  What is it about flying in America that means that American pilots rarely if ever use QNH and calculate their circuit height  in terms of feet above sea level ?

2. British Airways was formed by the amalgamation of BOAC and BEA and BOAC was a successor to Imperial Airways, what is interesting about the choice of British Airways as the name for the new combined airline. 

3.  What do American pilots mean by a pattern.

4. English is the International Language of Aviation. If flying to France where (apert from the airport restaurant) would you be expected to to use French?

5. What is odd about the word "airport" in the USA ?

6. When flying to a typical small aerodrome in Britain, what should pilots never ask for (but frequently do)

7. What is the difference between mode C and mode S?

8. Who "invented" the aeroplane and who was its first pilot (clue. It certainly wasn't Archimedes) .

9. What was the fundamental invention of the Wright Brothers used in almost all subsequent aeroplanes and, for two or perhaps three bonus points, what aeroplanes still flying today, don't use it? (I know of two but wouldn't be surprised if there are more)

10. What were you taught about aeroplanes at school that isn't true?

Edited by Pacific231G
  • Like 6

4 minutes ago, Pacific231G said:

Here are a few others.

4. English is the International Language of Aviation. If flying to France where (apert from the airport restaurant) would you be expected to to use French?

As a pilot, no. For everything else, it would depend on your interlocutor.

I suggest that the correct answer is "nothing". Perhaps this could be reworded to make your intent clearer.

8. Who "invented" the aeroplane and who was its first pilot (clue. It certainly wasn't Archimedes) .

A contentious question. Perhaps you are angling for Sir George Cayley or Percy Pilcher?

For Cayley the pilot is unidentified. Possibly John Appleby or George John Cayley (his grandson). (The internet contributed here because I couldn't remember their names.)

9. What was the fundamental invention of the Wright Brothers used in almost all subsequent aeroplanes and, for two or perhaps three bonus points, what aeroplanes still flying today, don't use it?

Wing warping - not used ever again (to my knowledge), though ailerons quickly became popular alternatives.

The "principles of lift".

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 2

This has nearly sent me off on another rambling piece about my father but time is pressing this evening so it will have to wait for now.

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

A bit later than anticipated: The Aircraft, Airline and Air Travel Quiz (and I'm sure our resident aviator @Dave Hunt will ace it!)

1.    You are piloting a commercial airliner into SFO. SFO ATC contacts you, prefixing the message with “Speedbird Two-Eight-Five Super-Heavy”. You are flying…

a.   A Virgin Atlantic Airline Boeing 787-9

b.   An United Airline Boeing 777

c.   An American Airlines Airbus A321neo

d.   A Delta Airlines Boeing 717

e.   A British Airways Airbus A380

2.    Which one is the odd bird out: Kestrel, Skua, Condor, Storch (Stork), Albatross, Flamingo?  

3.    What are “circuit and bumps”?

4.    What do the Basler BT-67, the Nakajima L2D, and the Lisunov Li-2 have in common?

6.    You have motored down to Southampton, had a spot of lunch and boarded the Imperial Airways’ Short Empire Flying Boat Cygnus (G-ADUZ). In about ___ hours / days / weeks you will arrive in Sydney. About how long will be your flight?

a.    48 Hours

b.    72 hours

c.     10 Days

d.    21 Days

e.    4 Weeks

7.    You have completed 45 hours of flight time, passed seven written exams, completed a solo cross-country flight and not killed your examiner during a flight test. You have your PPL and are now permitted to

a.   Fly your mates around and charge them a small fee for the privilege

b.   Act as pilot in command (PIC) in non-commercial operations on aeroplanes

c.   Fly jet planes like an Airbus A380 or a Typhoon

d.   Fly during the night or in very limited visibility

e.   Touch the aircraft

8.    Mix and Match: Match the cockpit instruments to the right category: Visual flight rules (VFR) or Instrument flight rules (IFR)  - note: Nasty Trick Question

adjustable altimeter, airspeed indicator, altimeter, an artificial horizon, clock, compass, directional gyro, rate of turn indicator, slip-skid indicator,

9.    What is the difference between a nacelle and a cowling?

10.  It is the year 2000 and most airlines have banned smoking onboard passenger planes. Unfortunately, you can’t go for 20 minutes without a cigarette. Your boss says that you have to fly to Tokyo for business or loose your job. Wanting (and needing) to keep your job, with which airline do you fly? Air Canada?, American Airlines?, Aerolineas Argentinas?, Aeroflot?, British Airways?, ANA? or JAL? 

BONUS QUESTION: What does the acronym SABENA stand for? (two possible answers, one serious).

And upon that note, I shall make my way along the Jetway, board the SIA Airbus A380, greet the cabin crew, turn left and plonk myself down in Seat Suite 2A... :D:dancer: and wish you a super POETS day with a tip of my Champagne glass...

iD

Without having seen the previous answers ....

1 = e)   Speedbird is the callsign for all BA airecraft
2 = a)   Is a jet all the others are prop  (Forerunner of the Harrier and development successor to the P1127, vertical take-off - although the Storch was virtual VTOL :lol:
3 =  Practice take off and landings linked by a circuit
4 =  No idea
5 =  The ME109's were actual Bucheons powered by RR Merlins (and look all wrong)
6 = a)  Flight time ~48 hours, journey time much longer for all the re-fuelling stops!
7 = b)   Act as PIC in a light aircraft
8 = All of the above  for both
9 =  Nacelle is structural and holds the engine on, cowling just encases an engine
10 = Guessing Aeroflot - 'cos they wouldn't give a sh....

Bonus - Can't remember

Alan

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
42 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

9. What was the fundamental invention of the Wright Brothers used in almost all subsequent aeroplanes and, for two or perhaps three bonus points, what aeroplanes still flying today, don't use it?

Wing warping - not used ever again (to my knowledge), though ailerons quickly became popular alternatives.

Me thinks a misread question.    Wing warping was generally discarded early on, say by 1910  ish and certainly by the time of metal or wood skinned wings for obvious reasons.

Strangely enough, wing warping is now set to make a comeback with modern morphing technologies.

Some very early aircraft e.g. the Bristol Boxkite used an early form of ailerons  which were unusual inasmuch as they only went down and not up as they were operated by wire in tension and didn't have the closed circuit return as subsequent and, with the benefit of hindsight, sensible aircraft had.

As to the correct answer, I'll have to think on that.

UPDATE

I seem to recall that they used a primitive wind tunnel to develop their aircraft, whether they actually invented wind tunnels I don't know BUT that can't be the answer as aircraft  don't fly with them although they do fly better because of them.  

Did they invent the airscrew? 

Edited by PupCam
Added the update
  • Like 9

Evening All,

Been off in the old motor home for the last few days and haven’t been able to keep up to date with the goings on so apologies of I have missed anything important. I’ll not bore you with any of the details of our week away.
Hoping Dave H get his appointment sooner rather than later and hope treatment is a success.

Managed to get a few answers to today’s quiz right.

An early night here as it was very warm in the motor home and we didn’t sleep very well.

So goodnight,

Robert

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

As it appears that all Flavio's aviation questions have eventually been answered correctly before I got to see them I won't bother answering all but will just add a few comments. In question 8 the difference between an altimeter and an adjustable altimeter escapes me as I have never encountered an altimeter in an aeroplane that isn't adjustable. It really has to be as for flying in the visual circuit at an airfield you will be working on the QFE, outside the circuit below transition altitude the setting would be QNH and above that the altimeter should be set to 1013.2 mb to show flight level. The only instrument from the list that is required for IFR but not VFR is the artificial horizon and virtually all turn and slip indicators are combined rate of turn and slip/skid indicators. Regarding question 9, a nacelle doesn't need to contain an engine unless it is, funnily enough, an engine nacelle.

I've just seen that Pacific 231G has posted some more but I'll have to get back to those some other time as I am being paged for household business.

TTFN

Dave  

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

1 hour ago, simontaylor484 said:

Regarding q8 on Flavoi's quiz when I did my glider training with the Air Cadets the slip skid indicator was referred to as the Turn and slip indicator and if I remember correctly it was the same on the de Havilland Chipmunk 

The two are comnbined into a single instrument on every light aircraft I've eve flown. The slip skid indicator is the inclinometer with the white ball in a curved tube and the rate of turn indicator is usually above it.

They were somewhat developed as "turn co-ordinators" (qv https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turn_and_slip_indicator )

This is the one in our Cessna 150  (rather an old photo I'm afraid I really must take some newer ones of the interior panels) 

1331395494_YPturnandslip.jpg.d122efb0d6aa89c4cb1d13d0393b8ff6.jpg

Actually the panel and control layout of the Cessna 150 has been used in at least one textbook as an example of poor ergonomics but they obviously hadn't looked at those of a Piper Cub. 

This was ours a few yeas ago.

2083357466_C150panel.jpg.13732f0c9a62f4c94b66b1618bbf17bd.jpg

We've changed it a bit since this was taken, the D I is the Direction Indicator which you set against the compass at the top of the windshield where the light makes it hard to read. The DI deviates after about ten minutes but gives a steadier indication than the compass.     The engine insruments , tachometer, oil temperature and pressure, exhaust temperature, vague fuel gauges, vacuum gauge, ammeter,  are on the other side  of the aircraft in front of the passenger and the flap indicator (It actually has very good fowler flaps) is fairly well hidden to the left of the windshield.

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Pacific231G said:

4. English is the International Language of Aviation.

I was at Berlin Tegel a couple of times in the early 2000s. I think it was only on my second visit that it clocked that the Red Baron bar was so named in English.

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, PeterBB said:

kickerbockerglory

I seem to recollect that this was the name of an ice cream concoction found in British ice cream parlours usually at the seaside.  Tall glass, lots of fruit and ice cream with a straw?

Brian.

• Like 7
  • Agree 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. 

4 minutes ago, brianusa said:

Hearing Aids.  My wife tells me I need them but of course I don't really!!  Any suggestions on this subject?

Brian.

If you can hear her telling you that you don't need one. Selective deafness perhaps?:jester:

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 8

14 minutes ago, brianusa said:

Hearing Aids.  My wife tells me I need them but of course I don't really!! 

8 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

If you can hear her telling you that you don't need one. Selective deafness perhaps?:jester:

Years ago, while married, my wife made a similar suggestion. I don't think it had anything to do with my hearing.

Hearing aids always makes me think of Fawlty Towers: Communications Problems (where the guest, Mrs Richards, has her hearing aid off because it runs the batteries down).

Modern hearing aids can be very good - if expensive.

• Like 12
  • Agree 4

2 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

As a pilot, no. For everything else, it would depend on your interlocutor.

You have to use French if you want to communicate with an aerodrome that doesn't have Air traffic Control but does have an Air to Ground operator- which in practice means most of the smaller club fields.  I've winged it with my rather basic Frenh but probably shouldn;t have.

I suggest that the correct answer is "nothing". Perhaps this could be reworded to make your intent clearer.

Unlike the rest of the world where the word aerodrome is the common (and ICAO standard)  word for any kind of landing place whereas airports normally have passenger and or freight handling facilities, in  the USA the word airport means everything from a dirt strip with no facilities at all  to LAX. You can see the differecne very clearly when compating aeronautical charts. 

In most of the

A contentious question. Perhaps you are angling for Sir George Cayley or Percy Pilcher?

For Cayley the pilot is unidentified. Possibly John Appleby or George John Cayley (his grandson). (The internet contributed here because I couldn't remember their names.)

Definitely Sir George Cayley who made probably the first proper scientific  investigation of flight and disovered the basic forces of lift, weight, thrust and drag in experiments using a whirling arm rather than a wind tunnel. He was acknowledged as such by the Wright Bros. A reproduction of his glider was succesfully flown  by Derek Piggott for an Anglia TV documentary and, though he did later say it was the least controllable aircraft he'd ever flown he did manage it as have others (including apparently Richard Branson)

According to that documentary and other sources, though his grandson flew as a passenger in one of his gliders, it was his unnamed coachman who attempted controlled flight in the final machine. It was though something of a trick question as the first pilot of a heavier than air aircraft (Henri Giffard made the first powered and controlled flight over 27m in a steam powered airship at about the same time)  is unknown. It was said to have been his coachman- who promptly resigned saying he had been engaged to drive not fly-  but I suspect that of being apochryphal.

Though they used wing warping to give differential lift and so create roll, it was the principle of control by co-ordination of all three axes of roll, pitch and yaw that formed the basis of their patent (which did include ailerons as a possible option) There was then a mammoth patent fight which amongst other things led to the Wright Flyer being displayed in the London science Museum and not the Smithsonian for many years and possibly held up development of the aeroplane, at least in the USA. 

The "principles of lift".

Definitely, but weren't we all taught that nonsense about it being the camber of the wing that produces lift "because the air has further to travel over the curved top of the wing than the flat base"  which is of course why aeroplanes can't fly upside down , Errr!

Edited by Pacific231G
  • Like 9