The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Erichill16 said:

Goodnight all, except for the effing smart ar$e effing bear who can get to effing sleep. Cheeky tw@.

ROBERT

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Thanks for that EH - you let Bear forget the stingy paws.  Briefly.

3 hours ago, PeterBB said:

Insulation comments interesting as too the ground source/heat pump (cannot quite remember which) that confirmed that although apparently a great idea that even with the government grant I would probably need to live to130! to recover all the additional costs.  Need the storage so with insulation couldn't possibly put a raised floor in the roof area.

Pictures of the air source heat pump installation under discussion were shown on the telly prog last night.  Loads of copper spaghetti and dross adorned their garage.  Bear did wonder where such an installation would fit in (garage-less) Bear Towers - the upheaval to fit it in the loft ain't gonna happen in my lifetime, no sirree. 

1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

..... flour may contain an anti-caking agent....

Is this some sort of evil Swiss secret weapon against cake -loving Bears?

:angry:

12 minutes ago, chrisf said:

Greetings

I bought a new wooden spoon yesterday so at least I can have porridge for breakfast again.  The one that went AWOL has not reappeared.  If it does it will be when I least expect it.  I hope that it is not lost and gone for ever.  Forgive me for being sentimental but my mother gave it to me and she has been dead for 36 years.

Have you thoroughly checked the bin(s)?  If it's not there then it'll surely still be in chris towers - and so safe.  All you then need to do is wait until it gets fed up hiding and comes home for tea.

Right, off to TP....

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 1

15 minutes ago, polybear said:

….Is this some sort of evil Swiss secret weapon against cake -loving Bears?

:angry:....

Are you having a larf, Bear?

An anti-caking agent is put in powdered ingredients to prevent them from clumping togther, as ane fule kno.

Given that anti-caking agents include tricalcium phosphate, sodium ferrocyanide, sodium silicate, silicon dioxide, talcum powder and polydimethylsiloxane; I think that having to sieve your flour (which a good baker does as a matter of course anyway) is a small price to pay for not having any of the above in one’s bread and cakes.

Although I have said this before, I repeat with proselytising zeal, that no matter what you enjoy, before you buy it read the effing label! The majority of the food stuffs we buy contain enough chemicals to keep ICI and Unilever in very generous profitable status each year (and it’s not surprising to learn that some of the worst offenders are vegan foods. Not because they are vegan per se [lentils are vegan and free of chemicals] but because the replacements for animal based products are highly processed and incredibly laden with chemicals).

iD

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Erichill16 said:

Evening All,

busy day here. Had mil, Sydney and nephew but still managed quite a bit of bookwork and a couple of phone calls.

Goodnight all, except for the effing smart ar$e effing bear who can get to effing sleep. Cheeky tw@.

ROBERT

It's nice to see the punk roots are still alive and well.  Robert there's a thread that I started back in 2014 that might interest you. It's in Prorotype Questions and is titled 'Stiff Records tour train  1978'.

Jamiie

• Like 18
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, The Lurker said:

At university I went out with a girl who was doing Food Science. I recall that she told me that the chemicals they used to decaffeinate coffee did you more harm than the caffeine itself. Certainly at that time, decaff coffee tasted awful, so it was a no brainer not to switch!

Another one to read the label for, some sort of water process used instead of dichloromethane for de caff coffee. 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 13

Afternoon all, 10 degrees and sunny here in NE Britain(formerly Pictish lands) a gentle breeze, I should be out, but I have chores to do, it's SWMBO Birthday soon and I have to wrap presents from the kids that I didn't buy, how is that my job I hear you ask................oh well, where's the cello tape.......................

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 4

Afternoon all

Its a cold day here the wind cuts through you.

@polybear have you thought about using the Hermes parcel shop service, you pack and label as normal then take it to a local shop or locker and get a receipt for it. The locations are on line to save you having to wait around for them.

@TheQ The only house I have seen done in the external insulation was a HMO brick end terraced house in Castleford. Polystyrene panels about 2-3 inches thick was fastened to the walls then rendered over. The numpties who were doing the job made loads of holes in the polystyrene with ladders and they just stuck vent covers over it. We used to call it Vent Axia House because of this

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

Some of the houses I've seen have had up to 6 inches thick polystyrene pinned to the walls, but it is I believe fireproofed. They seem to use scaffolding here to put it up and any ladders have spreader bars.

it's then got a mesh glued on which I believe is for the mortar / screed topcoat to get a grip..

i've also seen just a damp proof cloth pinned on then plastic planking fixed on, unfortunately I missed how they did that it must have been very quick..

• Informative/Useful 4
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

@polybear have you thought about using the Hermes parcel shop service, you pack and label as normal then take it to a local shop or locker and get a receipt for it. The locations are on line to save you having to wait around for them.

I did ponder that choice but if I can get them to collect from me that's better - I just have to juggle it a bit sometimes.  

In other news....

Bear has laid a grand total of....two bricks....:laugh:

This photo shows the problem - the top row of bricks is inset into the ceiling, so can't be laid last.  Luckily the helical stainless steel Helibar can be used as a support for the top row whilst the lower row is laid (the second isn't shown yet as I needed to cut a brick to fit).  So today I laid the lower course; I'll leave it alone for a day or so then insert plastic wedges to raise the remaining top course bricks until they touch the joist, then pump mortar into the joints with a mortar gun.  Seems like a plan.

336732869_IMG_21181.JPG.3cbff493b74f06f7091a0227d0b030f3.JPG

• Like 18
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon everyone.

Mrs Puppers said to me earlier; "It's very November like today". 

Tis true!  It is and it is :)

18 hours ago, polybear said:

Bear has visions of Puppers with a Bow Pen.....:laugh:

Bear may have hit upon an idea!

image.png.e9bf3dcd3184be21a4ded29be1e91835.png

17 hours ago, simontaylor484 said:

I have bought some brush draught excluders for around my garage door I am then going to line the door with the foil backed bubble wrap stuff.   

I've done this, two layers actually.    It did make a difference but the thermal index of bubble wrap  is not that great so it does not make that much of a difference.   I've just removed mine and have been replacing it with a type of  3/8" foam underlay.  I don't actually know what its thermal index is  but it's certainly warmer to the touch so it will be interesting to see the difference.    I've also added 2" wide rubber sealing strips down the sides to blank off the 3/4" wide gap either side.   I need to add a draught excluder along / across the bottom gap.

16 hours ago, polybear said:

Incidentally, there was a programme on earlier about going green etc. - a family had swapped to an air source heat pump; they were saving £100 (a month?) on the gas bill - but the leccy went up by £130.  Oops.

I'll give that a miss in my quest to reduce my bills save the planet. then.

7 hours ago, TheQ said:

Heat pumps can be fitted outside the house, there is no requirement for them  to be inside.. Every big supermarket has rows of heat pumps on the roof to cool the store.. The main Tesco I worked in had 16 packs of up to 5 compressors each just for  the freezers, but then the Airconditioners had more . I looked at house  heat pumps at the Felbrigg green show last time they held it. For our house it would require a 6 ft tall box about 3 ft per side. That could sit outside the kitchen..  it only needs a couple of pipes through the wall, one to a drain and of course wiring through the wall.    But it won't work for us without tons more insulation..

External heat pumps and air-conditioning units don't half annoy the neighbours with the drone of their pumps and fans running.   Well it certainly annoyed me when the neighbour had an air-con unit stuck right outside our house and garden when it was running in the summer.   Still he's gone now and the new neigbours got rid of it, built an extension (which is silent) and they are much friendlier to boot.   Shame he had to snuff it though ..... :cry:

Alan

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 5