RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

12 hours ago, grandadbob said:

Grandson Joe is in his second second year at the University of Sussex on a 4 year course studying American history.   One year of that will be spent across the pond and he has just been accepted at the University of British Columbia (which was his first choice) next year. 

I'm tempted to joke that he might receive a better education on American history in Canada than in the US, but that's not necessarily true at the University level. All the same I would imagine a broader perspective on North American history from a Canadian institution.

The 'generic' history taught at US high schools is appalling. I imagine it is different for high-schoolers taking AP (Advanced Placement) courses.

• Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

7 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Gotta say, he sounds like a bit of a clown.

7 hours ago, tigerburnie said:

Only a bit of one??

Our proscription on politics forbids me to respond, other than sharing that he recently objected to a Tweet from Sesame Street's "Big Bird", (who is perennially six years old), tweeting about getting vaccinated and having a sore wing.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 13

2 hours ago, polybear said:

Bear's Award of the Day Month goes to......

Austria - for having the b@lls to make vaccination compulsory :clapping:

Nein  vories mate!

This is the reason for it, and shows that even the remotest places aren't safe without vaccination.

Some people have no grasp on the size of this place, for instance  this town here is 800km from the nearest major town. And THAT major  town has a population of 6300. Theres very little opportunity to handle a covid outbreak amongst places like that.  Yet COVID still got there.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-11-17/nt-robinson-river-covid-oubreak-community/100628436

The compulsory vaccination programme has pushed the rate in the NT to about 97% for workers who require it to attend their job and the general population to a rapidly  increasing level.

The following link  shows why sometimes you just have to force people. Just the latest example on a site full of sad examples of the misinformed, misguided, wilfully contrary and just plain stupid who paid the ultimate price for being a dead set nong.

When you are attached to a ventilator and are a  day  or so away from popping your clogs to covid yet still post antivax stuff to Facebook saying how the risk of dying from vaccines is greater than dying of covid ffs ,  thats the kind of  commitment that that only a $5000 fine would probably break.

https://www.sorryantivaxxer.com/post/ellen-breeden-41-beecher-mi-anti-vaxxer-mother-of-6-dead-from-covid 

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 4

2 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

I can see the tracking radar but where is the mount for Bear's  MG-42?

All the shooting stuffs done with drones these days so  what you need is one of these.

image.png.6a27f162238d51ee9d3b11949b9e46d0.png

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 13
  • Funny 2

2 hours ago, Tony_S said:

I used to use the example of a university IT centre that had been very good at backing up all their data, but unfortunately stored the backup data discs in the same room as the main data storage. There was a fire.

Toy Story 2 was the example we learned about at backup school..

https://thenextweb.com/news/how-pixars-toy-story-2-was-deleted-twice-once-by-technology-and-again-for-its-own-good

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium

I was in Aswan on a Nile cruise in 1999.  There was a high risk of Islamic terrorism at the time.  Taking an evening stroll near the river we passed  a police station.  Outside it, obviously on instant readiness, was a Ural Cossack and sidecar, with a machine gun and two crew. There wasalso  a Russian truck fitted as a personnel carrier with the tailgate down.  I'm not sure what the MG was but it may have been an MG3 (post WW2 version of the MG42) as by then the Egyptians were buying munitions from the West to augment their ex-Soviet stuff.

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

33 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

that's the kind of  commitment that that only a $5000 fine would probably break

Sadly not.

As an example, the Washington State University head football coach passed on his $3.2M salary* rather than follow the Governor's mandate for vaccinations of employees of state funded educational facilities. (Of course legal procedures are pending.)

* The highest salary for a state employee. The Governor's salary is around $187,000.

Even a $5,000 fine means nothing for some people.

• Informative/Useful 16
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

1 hour ago, simontaylor484 said:

Also annoyingly I ordered a Man utd top for each if the boys last week and paid for it. Got 2 emails today one saying it could be 15th Jan before its delivered the other email the 15th feb

I can you you Barnsley FC ones tomorrow if you want.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1

My kid brother was working on the Pitchfork enquiry, we used to live very close to where the first murder took place, it was scary times at the time.

Re computers, I don't back mine up, anything I want is on an external hard drive, I don't conduct any work or banking or anything else of great importance on line, don't trust it, look at the Sky modem problems that surfaced this week. When my last two computers broke I put a hammer through the hard drives and took them to the tip for re-cycling the materials.

• Like 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

5 minutes ago, tigerburnie said:

look at the Sky modem problems that surfaced this week. When my last two computers broke I put a hammer through the hard drives and took them to the tip for re-cycling the materials

Working with classified defence hardrives we were always up for trying new ways to render them useless and unreadable, before it got contracted out to private industry.

At one point we were driving them down to Wollongong and throwing them in the smelter at the steel works, then there was an industrial incinerator that came on line nearer to work  that we used.

Most fun was when we took some to Richmond airbase and got someone there to  shoot them with a bloody big gun to see how they'd go.

• Like 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

12 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

I would sooner them support Barnsley they are local and the right side of the Pennines 

I could send you Collingwood AFL jerseys if you want. Collingwood are a very popular and much loved team here and your children would be considered very cool by  any Australians (or even Austrians for Polybear..) that  they met.

• Like 12
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

14 hours ago, grandadbob said:

Grandson Joe is in his second year at the University of Sussex on a 4 year course studying American history.   One year of that will be spent across the pond and he has just been accepted at the University of British Columbia (which was his first choice) next year .  To say he is over the moon would be an understatement.  It gets better in that one of his friends on the same course is also going..

I hope they enjoy their time there and avoid heat domes, floods, waterspouts/tornados etc. (one hit UBC from the Straight of Georgia a couple of weeks ago). 

Two of our kids went to UBC and enjoyed it. I got to know the route to and from quite well.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

Collingwood are a very popular and much loved team here 

I almost choked on my meat pie over that comment! :jester:

Collingwood are the butt of many jokes, some of them less kind than others.  It's said that you can always spot a Collingwood fan because of their remaining single tooth and the stub of a rollie (self-rolled cigarette) stuck to their lip.  

It is also said that Australia is a land of blokes and sheilas plus the occasional Collingwood fan.  

There are many others.  

Footie being the religion that it is in (especially) the State of Victoria there is no love lost at all between rival fans / clubs although unlike the British round-ball fans they do all drink together afterwards - and often before - in the same bars with no more trouble than some raucous banter and the singing of club songs.  

• Like 13
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1