The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon Awl,

No clouds when , Ben took me out for morning patrol, but it steadily got more driech as the day went on with a full down pour at one point..

I started with adding the locknuts, to the trailer, that I was short of last weekend.

This was followed by waving the angle grinder around at all excess length bolts..

I then tried sanding the hull... No good,  the soft paint clogs the sandpaper almost instantly.

Then tried a scraper works ok, but I only have a very old one, that's worn out..

Gave that up for now,

Started disassembling the hoist frame.. then it rained.

Retreated to workshop 

Cut off excess length of jib club, 

Cut end to basic shape for refitting sheave.

Rain stopped.

Took one end of frame down to 1 bolt,  got SWMBO to hold vertical, while I removed last bolt. Then pushed joint apart, she lent vertical against the boat shed while I lowered the horizontal gently onto the boat.

I then removed the bolts from the other end , slid the horizontal out and put it in the garage.

The verticals were then taken apart. This required the angle grinder on some bolts...

All remaining parts put in the boat shed..

The area looks a lot bigger now..

All standard size breeze blocks cleared away, and stacked up.

The big ones can wait, left knee complaining again..

Went looking online for something non clogging, found a sanding mesh that might do the job..ordered, should be here Monday.

Now lying on bed straightening back and knee oh and avoiding the dancing wolves..

I was thinking of what musical addition I can add to this thread..

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, grandadbob said:

Good morning and a very Merry Christmas to one and all,

...snip...
One of my favourite Christmas carols is "O Holy Night." 

...snip...

Have a good one, I certainly have every intention of doing so.

Bob.

Mine also, but sung in French:

I first heard this when taking French. our teacher was French and played this for us then tried to teach it to us. It is (at least the first few lines) are just about all that I remember from that class! :huh:

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I had a quick trip out today.. tested a newly built item on the clubs rendition of part of the Peak District. On my way back I had a brainwave (!). Call in at Halfords and get some more spray paint.. WRONG!

Car parks were absolutely barmy.. drivers with no indicators/brain/lights in their multitudes. Halfords car park ..full but inside..empty!  The colour I wanted isn't in stock..and no delivery date! PAH!  Lad there did say that they were closing early but they have a lot of prepaid for bicycles to be collected today.. I guess some people have forgotten them or they have tested positive.

Baz

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 18

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, simontaylor484 said:

After 6 white Boomers and the wombles may i please add this earworm played on Scala this afternoon

And here I thought that I would (finally) make one Christmas without that! :huh: Oh well, there is only one more day and a half. :) Please note: I like most Christmas music; as a kid (around Douglas' age), I would buy all the Christmas records that I could afford and spin them on and off during the year. NB: most still survive!

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

Well I have just watched Shaun the sheep on I player now it's Jonathan Creek on Drama +1 then perhaps Mr Herriot

If I fall asleep Merry Christmas/ Happy holidays to all

6 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Same here. 

That makes three of us. I also watched Jonathan Creek, and the news and Repair Shop. The most TV I've watched for months.

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, PupCam said:

Nevertheless, the offending section was removed and replaced by the flexi-pipe and normal water services restored before 12:00 noon.   

:clapping:

Bear would however recommend dumping the flexi when time permits and if possible - they're generally regarded "in the trade" as having a "life".  Now what that "life" may be is a very good question - I've seen mention in plumbing circles of 5 years, but who knows?  Certainly gentle bends and absolutely no twists helps no end.  I have two flexi's in the upstairs en-suite loo that Bear constructed perhaps 15+ years ago that are still going strong; however since I discovered warnings about flexi's earlier this year (when doing the kitchen) I've added a reminder to the PC Calendar to replace or renew them sooner rather.  I also have water flood alarms adjacent to each location where they are used.  

I also make sure that water is turned off at the mains stopcock whenever I'm away overnight - which isn't happening lately for some strange reason.....

In other news.....

Yet another morning working on the lounge - today was tidying unnecessary tools & materials from the lounge and then adding two wooden battens below and to the right of the leccy consumer unit; these will give an "edge" for the plasterer to spread to and also give something that I can secure a decorative box to in order to hide the C.U. when I eventually get around to refurbing the hall, stairs & landing.  Which is the job after the lounge job....

All went smoothly .....until......

.....hoovering up the mess time.  I had a sneaky suspicion that Percy the Panasonic wasn't vacuuming quite as normal - and a slight suspicion of a bit of dust being blown out the front filter.  Never a good sign.

All was confirmed when I took the front cover off the check how much was in the bag (it's not that long since it had a new one), only to discover that the seam at the bottom of the bag had come unglued and the dust from the bag was in the bag cavity...and filters.  Turdycurses.

All is now cleaned up as well as possible (using Mickey the Miele - which is reserved for non-refurb activities as it's (a) new, and (b) costapacket) - hopefully Percy will be fine, but I've promised him a full strip-down service once the lounge is done.  Hopefully he'll last long enough to enjoy that....

As for Chrimbo, well Bear wishes all ER'ers & TNM'ers the very best - may Santa bring nice goodies and the scoff be very yummy.  And no c0ckwombles or any other purveyors of aggro to put a dampener on any proceedings....

edit:  Right, where's the salted peanuts......

Edited by polybear
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Yesterday I bought a dozen eggs for use over the next week. Before selecting them I opened the box and checked them and none were broken. they were still OK when I got them home and I placed them in a safe place. I just went to get some out and I found one was cracked. Fortunately the 'skin' inside the shell is intact so nothing has spilt out. How it came to be so is a mystery as the eggbox has not been knocked. So its an omelette for Christmas breakfast tomorrow instead of the two boiled eggs.  

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 12