The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Some distressing natural disaster news today from Colorado. Towns in Boulder County were evacuated and I saw some reports of 600 homes destroyed by wildfires. 

This is not forest land. It is high-plains grassland near the foothills of the "front range" of the Rockies. I have visited this area many times and know people who live in the towns that were evacuated. These aren't small towns - they are large suburbs of the greater Denver metro area.

The area has been experiencing drought conditions. It is supposed to snow there tomorrow. The winds that spread the fire are ahead of the front bringing the snow.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Friendly/supportive 18

32 minutes ago, pH said:

They don’t really do it justice.

Mountains look lovely. It's hard to capture the magic of the light as seen by the eye.

The roads look like crap - nasty and slippery. (All clear here - well over 4°C today. Rain next week.)

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 14
  • Agree 1

28 minutes ago, BoD said:

It is being reported over here by the BBC too.

It was a late-breaking story in the US today. National news rooms (heavily east-coast centric) are short-staffed during the holiday week. I expect to see extensive coverage tomorrow. This might see property destruction almost as bad as the western Kentucky tornadoes earlier this month though presumably (hopefully) with less loss of life.

It's a weird feeling to see a place you know devastated by a natural disaster like wildfires. I experienced something similar watching the Santa Rosa, California fires in 2017*, and closer to home in the Santiam Canyon fires in Oregon in 2020. (I've since driven through the burn area several times.)

* Where a hotel I stayed in many times was completely destroyed. I watched it burn in the news footage. The Fountaingrove round barn was more than a century old when it was destroyed by the Tubbs fire.

Others may not see it the same way, but I am convinced that climate change is here.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 17

57 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

The roads look like crap - nasty and slippery.

Actually not bad. They’ve been plowed and gritted. They’re very much side streets with few cars on them (except on school days).

• Like 14

On 29/12/2021 at 22:39, Gwiwer said:

…Having packed up and shipped our worldly goods around the planet not once but twice I have no intention of doing so again.  Not just because of the effort involved but because I simply don't want to….

On 29/12/2021 at 22:55, New Haven Neil said:

Moving not many miles but across a sea to what is effectively a different country was bad enough - our alternative was Kiwi…

Mrs iD and I are of differing opinions on this. Although as not as ambulatory as some of our MoD types,  I’ve made five major moves between 4 countries and 3 languages during my life and I would happily move again to a nice, rural, retirement friendly property. Mrs iD is not convinced.  But today, with the Internet and with most everything now available to be delivered as a parcel,  living in a rural area I don’t see as a significant drawback

On 30/12/2021 at 00:55, TheSignalEngineer said:

My Dad was on the ground trying to link up with the Airborne troops. …Sadly I never got the real story of Market Garden from him as he rarely gave any details of what the fighting was like…

I’ve found out that the people who really were involved in the fighting tend not to talk much about it. Neither my grandfather (who was in the Royal Navy and in SBS) or my father (who was in the Wehrmacht at the end of the Second World War [drafted as a 16 year old])  spoke much about their experiences. 

On 30/12/2021 at 04:13, Natalie said:

…..I will admit that people as a whole baffle me and I just can't get my head around it all. I generally find life very difficult to deal with and tend to just avoid people as a rule and keep myself shut away in my room. My black dog tends to be an all year round presence.... What does help though is the unwavering and unconditional love from our two magnificent hounds, Bracken and Minnie (our real black dog). They really are a big help and comfort at all times and have saved my life on several occasions.

I see no need for you to explain that people as a whole baffle you, whilst I have managed to navigate the shoals and rocks of life fairly unscathed and I am happy enough to interact with other people (if I have to), this need to be around other people just puzzles me.   The cynic in me tends to believe that there is a lot of good money to be made by encouraging people to mingle and “do things“ together. Whereas, those who are content to be alone and happy with their own company are probably not a very profitable market.

And although I do not suffer from “the black dog“ (you have my sympathies), I do realise how powerful an influence our canine friends are on our lives. Like Bracken and Minnie, Lucy and Schotty are more than “just dogs” they are trusted companions - which is more than I can say for humans (I would trust Lucy and Schotty with my life, but not necessarily with my sausages….)

22 hours ago, chrisf said:

……Tomorrow the New Year's Honours List is due to be published.  I know that many will not give a donald duck who is listed therein.  Others will wonder why on earth some have been included….

My innate cynicism is always engaged by the honours list; it seems that for at least the past 25 years significant honours are awarded to those who a)  donate a huge wodge of cash to one political party or another, b)  have warmed a desk for 20 years or more at a suitably high level in the civil service, c)  have successfully flogged stuff around the world (such as music, books and “art“) and d) [last and certainly least]  have actually done good deeds for and in the community the awardees reside in (has anyone else noted that the “cheerful and helpful lollipop ladies”  and the like who get awards never get anything like being made a Dame or being elevated to the House of Lords)

22 hours ago, TheQ said:

I chose Norfolk, a combination of cheap housing, good for my hobby of sailing, SWMBO'S hobbies are everywhere. Plenty of land / walks for the dogs.. it's been a successful choice.. We ain't going anywhere again..…

I always wondered how the expression “normal for Norfolk“ originated.

Now I know :jester:

11 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

I have always kept a little notebook where ever I go.  … I am now at Volume 52 and know where all of 1 - 51 are kept.  

Captain Cynical sees significant income stream possibilities in this news. Minions will be dispatched to (ahem) “acquire” said notebooks.

9 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

…..I will stipulate that there is nothing like fine Champagne, but there are plenty of enjoyable alternatives. It seems a little over the top to suggest that New Year's would be "ruined" by drinking an alternative.

Obviously, my Dear Oz,  you are not frequenting the right social circles.

There are those whose amusing little New Year’s Eve soirées  would be utterly ruined by the absence of a Roederer Crystal  or a Pol Roger on the buffet table

9 hours ago, Erichill16 said:

….Watch  out Poly, he’ll be buying up LDC next. Better get your furry  ar$e down to the Coop pronto!

You are not thinking big enough, my dear fellow. Any rich enough megalomaniac can buy up all the available LDC and thus deny bears and hippos (and others) their snacks, real villainy is when you buy up the LDC factories and convert the production lines to producing only coffee cream cakes (with nuts). And to rub salt in the wound, occasionally produce a high end “special limited edition” LDC at a multiple of a multiple of the old standard LDC price.

And on that dastardly note, I wish you a happy POETTNY day (P*** Off Early Tomorrow’s The New Year)

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Good moaning from the Charente.  It's New Years Eve but the hens will still need to be let out and some logs still need to be brought down to the house.  No snow here and certainly no drought.  Those fires in Colorado are terrifying.  I cycled through that area in 2005.

I had a good afternoon  out trainspotting  yesterday with Andy. His shoulder appears to be healing well. I dripped him off at the physio's and he hopes to get the sling off in another week.

Nothing major to report here, no 1 son and partner finish their isolation today and appear to have survived OK. 

Bon Nouvelle  Anné to you all.

Jamie

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl, Inner Temple Hare,

Tried to sleep, couldn't, read anther chapter of the current book, then I slept for 3 hours short break then almost 4 hours, pretty good total for me.

Snow like that would cause chaos in the UK, a snowflake falls and there's major panic..

Ben the alarm clock collie arrived at 05:00 exactly, I stroked his head said a few words, then he went back to bed and is snoring. Hope he remembers to do that Tuesday...

Plans for today more sanding, I'll probably start with the half sheet sander, it's now 26years old, a Makita, with the main plate holder being cast aluminium, so it's a bit of a beast. I doubt my Arms are up to holding that overhead, but I can do more of the boat standing up, as you don't have to be so careful as with the angle grinder. The detail work and the definite over head work will be done with a plastic palm sander..

Time to.  Do nothing for a bit till Ben wakes up again..

• Friendly/supportive 19

• RMweb Premium

Ey up!

Woke up at 04:30.. now drinking a mugatea. @Natalie I may try thr soothing sounds to get back to sleep.. I must buy some new ear phones first.

At one minute past midnight tonight I will celebrate my late Mother's 100th  birthday anniversary. Anyone rejoicing in the name of Asenath (known as Zen) has to be thick skinned.. she was!

Tempus fugits apparently so let's look ahead. Hopefully all of our missing ERs are keeping well. I hope we hear from them soon. 

Stay safe! Have as good a day as you can!

Baz

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, chrisf said:

Stewart, thank you for liking the new avatar!  I would love to know what happened to the old one.

Andy Y was doing some housekeeping and came across a folder with a small number of  unrecognised files in it.  He deleted it.  Turned out the folder contained a handful of avatars, yours included I would guess.

• Informative/Useful 12

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Wet and windy here at the moment and a very mild 13°C.  The forecast(s) claim it will become drier and brighter later.

No plans made for today but there are several tasks that need my attention including my usual year end clear out and shredding of paperwork .  Still can't bring myself to go completely paperless although my son keeps urging me to do so.  My argument is that about 3 years ago if I had gone paperless I wouldn't have been able to prove a couple of very successful PPI claims.  Also on the agenda is the repair of a dining room chair that fell apart on Christmas day.  Hopefully the glue I want will arrive today.  I won't mention the building at the bottom of the garden...ooops. 

First things first though and that is breakfast.

Have a good one,

Bob.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

I’ve found out that the people who really were involved in the fighting tend not to talk much about it. Neither my grandfather (who was in the Royal Navy and in SBS) or my father (who was in the Wehrmacht at the end of the Second World War [drafted as a 16 year old])  spoke much about their experiences. 

Very much "what happened in France stayed in France". My grandfather told very little about it having joined up at 16 and being wounded and back in England before he was 17. By the time he reached 19 he was fully recovered, was sent back to the regiment and ended the war near Armentieres. His eldest brother Ernie was killed at Delville Wood. I never knew much about that but research when the youngest of the brothers died revealed that one of Ernie's friends was posthumously awarded the VC for his actions on the same day.

As far as Dad was concerned, although he had spent nine months active service in Europe the worst experiences were probably his period in India when he was a sergeant in the Military Police attached to the Indian Army in Calcutta during the Direct Action Day riots in 1946 which left over 4000 dead. 

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Gold

Not even New Year yet and my local CoOp has got boxes of Hot Cross Buns on sale.

The buns are not hot. Should I complain?

The label on the box says Happy Easter. The CoOp has clearly lost its Methodist origins. Hot Cross Buns are for Good Friday, hence the cross.

I wonder what the "best before" date is.

• Agree 10
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
41 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Not even New Year yet and my local CoOp has got boxes of Hot Cross Buns on sale.

Many supermarkets seem to have them all year round these days.

• Agree 11
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Overslept again this morning, its beginning to get a habit but not going to bed until gone two this morning is something to do with it. Be back shortly as the washing machine needs emptying.

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, PeterBB said:

Had to get rid of the wall mounted lights are a pain and, yes to get rid is difficult because of the wiring and unable to get at the source because of the way this years move (probably our last but hope we have a good few years yet) was wired.  TV aerial wise have still not fathomed and SWMBO wants one in the bedroom - but not keen on knocking holes for wiring and sockets.  The 'chalet' room has a complete laminated floor so floorboards are inaccessible - hence the need for more invasive methods.

My TV box runs off of my hub. As I understand it I can get a device that plugs into an electric socket and will transmit the signal from the hub via the wiring so that computers can be used in any room in the house so why not a TV? There are a few ER's who can tell you if it is possible.

6 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

A chap I worked with held the Military Medal. He never spoke about it until he retired when someone 'in the know' asked him. He was a sergeant in the REME and at the time of Arnhem his unit was tasked with replacing the bridges blown by the Germans in the advance towards Arnhem. He received his MM for erecting a Bailey Bridge across a Dutch canal under heavy fire. I would have liked to look the award up for more details but I wouldn't know where to look.

5 hours ago, Barry O said:

Ey up!

At one minute past midnight tonight I will celebrate my late Mother's 100th  birthday anniversary. Anyone rejoicing in the name of Asenath (known as Zen) has to be thick skinned.. she was!

Baz

My mum would be 102 if she was alive today but still telling us not to make a fuss.

4 hours ago, BoD said:

Andy Y was doing some housekeeping and came across a folder with a small number of  unrecognised files in it.  He deleted it.  Turned out the folder contained a handful of avatars, yours included I would guess.

A few Avatars have disappeared. One or two have caused a problem as those with longer names the name is printed in full and can cover the star to view unread posts.

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Natalie said:

Hope that everyone else has a good day. I did notice the absence of some familiar names whilst catching up and hope that they too are well and might return.

You might find some on a new thread called 'The Night Mail'.

• Agree 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 1

3 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

A chap I worked with held the Military Medal. He never spoke about it until he retired when someone 'in the know' asked him. He was a sergeant in the REME and at the time of Arnhem his unit was tasked with replacing the bridges blown by the Germans in the advance towards Arnhem. He received his MM for erecting a Bailey Bridge across a Dutch canal under heavy fire. I would have liked to look the award up for more details but I wouldn't know where to look.

I usually start here

https://www.forces-war-records.co.uk/search-military-records-for-free?SE=go&adID=560252212459&KW=military records&SC=C&NO=9050&gclid=CjwKCAiA8bqOBhANEiwA-sIlNySYZJEWg04jqT7I9LYOWYRyy14a58c_jHOIYx08Z9sQxIwlY5kZdRoCAd0QAvD_BwE

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1