RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, PeterBB said:

Wharever you do it is not a good idea to have carpet in the bathroom ... its impossible for it not to get wet and ... 

however Rule 1 applies in your own home.

Bear has never, ever had a problem; the last time the bathroom was refurb'd (late 1990's) the floor was to be tiled - it got to the last afternoon of the last day and the Tiler then decides to announce that "the floor wasn't level enough" 🤬  Whilst there was probably some truth in that, in reality the chances are that there was no possibility of him getting the job done without screwing his weekend and he probably had another job booked for the Monday.

So carpet went down instead - so long as you (a) choose the right sort of carpet (wool is a no-no, for example), and (b) you're past the splashy rubber duck stage (ok, just.....) then there's no issue.

Bear doesn't splash water everywhere and always uses mats when getting out of the bath/shower; there's also those U-shaped mats around the sink pedestal and loo.  No issues at all, and no odours.  The bathroom is also equipped with a powerful extractor fan (centrifugal rather than axial) that always goes on when having a shower or bath.

In other news.....

Bathroom cleaning done.  Big Tick - and a happy Bear 🙂

Much of the afternoon was taken up by watching a freebie film via Amazon Prime Video; the film was "Thirteen Lives" and all about the Thai Boy's Footie Team who got trapped in a flooded cave system back in 2018.  By all accounts the film is very accurate - although diving conditions were apparently much worse in reality because the water was muddy - which isn't great when making a film of course.

Beary Opinion?  One of the best films I've seen in a very, very long time - and quite possibly ever.

And directed by Richie Cunningham, no less.

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

8 hours ago, simontaylor484 said:

Mankad the batter ...

I did have to look that one up out of sheer curiosity 

So, not just me then.

12 hours ago, Barry O said:

Changes to the real Laws of Cricket (not to the hacked about version us3e by the ICC) regarding mankad come into force after 1st October.

Baz, post-October 1, will it still be lawful to run-out the batter (not facing the bowler) who leaves the bowler's crease early?

The situation reminds me of a base runner trying to get a lead off (often to steal a base) in baseball, who can be tagged out if they are off the base. It's not considered improper or bad form in any way. There's risk/reward for the runner trying to manufacture an advantage - it might help them advance, or they might be out. I don't see how it is much different in cricket.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, Erichill16 said:

Can’t sleep and was wondering, perhaps the ‘average’ post gets 10 to 20 responses but how many people actually read the post? 

I read all of the posts except those dealing with any kind of sports, which I dislike. The rest are read mostly with interest but when it comes to "rating" them I sometimes run (read?) into minor difficulties: those which combine two or more vastly different subjects. I usually do not rate them as no one rating would be appropriate for the different subjects. The only exception is one with a "Good night" or its equivalent; that gets a "Tx".

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, zarniwhoop said:

After our local correspondent's pictures of the flooding this year, I was surprised at how benign the weather has been on most days - and the countryside looked pleasant - not at all what I had envisaged from reading "The Last Continent" 😀

Maybe you should have been thinking "The Birds" instead!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/othersports/article-11225623/Magpie-attacks-cause-chaos-Cycling-World-Championships-Wollongong.html

(edited to change link from Cycling News to the Daily Mail for added sensationalism)

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium

Bear received an update from a Neighbour regarding the break-ins at the building site close to Bear Towers - it seems they swiped the new Boilers from five houses 🤣; all very professionally it seems, so the places weren't left to flood - oh well, better luck next time.....

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 10

3 minutes ago, polybear said:

Bear received an update from a Neighbour regarding the break-ins at the building site close to Bear Towers - it seems they swiped the new Boilers from five houses 🤣; all very professionally it seems, so the places weren't left to flood - oh well, better luck next time.....

Just asked son - plumber - apparently it happens a lot - it's the chip shortage for control systems - boilers are on long lead times.

• Informative/Useful 15

1 hour ago, Ozexpatriate said:

So, not just me then.

13 hours ago, Barry O said:

The Mancad  runout occurred during the1947  Indian tour of Australia  and caused outrage - though not sure whether due to its unsportsmanshipness or the fact that we hadn't thought of doing it first.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Funny 14

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, polybear said:

Bear's Test of the Day.....

Do any fellow ER'ers know anything about the following ornament, such as maker and/or title by any chance?  There's no marks.....

60607146_IMG_30941.JPG.da7f90157ec800912c983f04a9e9216b.JPG

Take it to the Antiques Roadshow, I dare you.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, 45156 said:

And here's a new offering from Emily Linge

Which led to me listening to Emily's rendition of Whiter Shade Of Pale which was very good.

Doing so reminded me that it must be time to listen once again (I feel the need generally every few weeks) to the man himself and the Danish National Orchestra.   It's funny how certain pieces of music move one and this one does it for me.    No, I haven't got a clue what it's about but then I don't think Gary Brooker did either!

Night Awl!

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

So, not just me then.

Baz, post-October 1, will it still be lawful to run-out the batter (not facing the bowler) who leaves the bowler's crease early?

The situation reminds me of a base runner trying to get a lead off (often to steal a base) in baseball, who can be tagged out if they are off the base. It's not considered improper or bad form in any way. There's risk/reward for the runner trying to manufacture an advantage - it might help them advance, or they might be out. I don't see how it is much different in cricket.

Yes it no longer will be seen as being an unwarrant3d act.

Baz

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

• RMweb Premium

image.png.112050db37119b23e60f93822708cc40.png

image.png.6b4da7ca26f6f1f3962c83e114cb3163.png

image.png.6e54d6beadbbb88a4e3918f937042b10.png

image.png.13459eb87b4efdbc43f6f21e62396fa8.png

image.png.6741678f50452c00cebe131898b4e6c6.png

image.png.0f00572bd754a204c3f3d2222bb3dc19.png

image.png.8109b2bf08c98d6f132d55f198b70624.png

image.png.c3ea604c40cc4e548354570a86a934cf.png

image.png.4b17d58e81da4067956b76c406b9016a.png

image.png.1f0d14cd639299f6cd95e29e2942d41c.png

image.png.bc7f2842ebe2de60d7530b709e9a0127.png

Our Wifi wasn’t working last night so me and the wife chatted for a change.
I was surprised to hear that she no longer works at Woolworths.

Can I just ask everyone for a big favour? Those of you who are planning to place Christmas lights/decorations in your garden can you please avoid anything that is red or blue and flashing? Every time I drive by I think it's the police and have a panic attack. I have to take my foot off of the accelerator, toss my wine, fasten my seatbelt, throw my phone on the floor, turn the radio down, push the gun under the seat and put my clothes back on. It's too much drama. Thank you for your cooperation & understanding.

My favourite Christmas story
Mary had given birth, she was tired after the delivery, both she and the baby were sleeping peacefully. There was a quiet knock on the stable door, Joseph answered and there stood three shepherds. "May we come in to see the baby?" They asked. Joseph replied, "Yes, but please be quiet, they are asleep"
The shepherds crept into the dimly lit stable. One of the shepherds, unwittingly, stood on a rake which shot up and hit him in the face. "JESUS CHRIST" he shouted in shock and pain, waking Mary and the baby. "What a nice name" said Joseph, "We were going to call him Norman.

• Like 1
  • Funny 14

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, monkeysarefun said:

The Mancad  runout occurred during the1947  Indian tour of Australia  and caused outrage - though not sure whether due to its unsportsmanshipness or the fact that we hadn't thought of doing it first.

Yes, the Laws are changed to keep up with Oz and Indian teams finding ways to work round them.  While the MCC have said it was all OK yesterday I beg to differ as the "dead ball" should have been called (and may have been by one umpire) as she had passed the point where she should have delivered the ball. It will, in the short term at least, go against the Indian women for not playing in the spirit of cricket...

Baz

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 6

1 hour ago, polybear said:

..  it seems they swiped the new Boilers from five houses …

1 hour ago, Coombe Barton said:

Just asked son - plumber - apparently it happens a lot - it's the chip shortage for control systems - boilers are on long lead times.

I once worked in a crew cleaning up apartments in a new 16-storey tower in preparation for the first occupiers - just under 100 apartments. They had electric heating controlled by thermostats with mercury switches. The switches had been stolen from every single apartment.

• Informative/Useful 13
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, pH said:

I once worked in a crew cleaning up apartments in a new 16-storey tower in preparation for the first occupiers - just under 100 apartments. They had electric heating controlled by thermostats with mercury switches. The switches had been stolen from every single apartment.

Thieves in Leeds were a bit old fashioned.  All the drainsge grates disappeared from the Leeds Urbam motorways the night before each section opened.

Jamie

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, jamie92208 said:

Thieves in Leeds were a bit old fashioned.  All the drainsge grates disappeared from the Leeds Urbam motorways the night before each section opened.

Jamie

They all disappeared from a road on our estate two days before the final making up was due to be done. They were replaced with heavy duty recycled plastic ones about as heavy as the cast ones.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

The only exception is one with a "Good night" or its equivalent; that gets a "Tx".

Its unusual for me to be ERing at times relevant to respond to 'Good night' until the day after.

• Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2