The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

Sorry to say that I have had to skip - too many events locally taking up time today, and we had to miss some as well - so it is just the ususal greetings to all fellow ERs - I raised a glass to AndrewC at lunch time, as I normally have a whisky then rather than in the evening - a strictly measured 35ml.

Not a lot more to add today, but I have now heard what I thought was impossible on a guitar - the entire Bohemian Rhapsody played on a solo guitar - guitarists and queen fans, listen and weep for the sheer virtuosity of this rendition. I've been playing for well over 55 years, and can say that if I lived and practiced for 155 years, I wouldn't get close,

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4
  • Round of applause 3

1 hour ago, J. S. Bach said:

Could it be that the manufacturer looked at it from one end and you were looking at from the other? Just a serious thought on my part.

The instructions could have been read that way - they were not absolutely clear. But the arrow on the sticker attached to the part definitely pointed in a clockwise direction.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Gold
41 minutes ago, pH said:

The instructions could have been read that way - they were not absolutely clear. But the arrow on the sticker attached to the part definitely pointed in a clockwise direction.

I had a bathroom fan and very usefully the sticker had been placed the wrong way round on the wiring connector block. Fortunately I had looked at the printed instructions and noticed the difference. 

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Round of applause 1

2 hours ago, Tony_S said:

The attempt to make Hindi a national language across India wasn’t well received the further south it was suggested.

Indeed. I have worked with and have friends and colleagues who variously grew up speaking Punjabi Urdu, Telegu and Kannada. I'm sure I also know people who grew up with Hindi (and probably some Tamil speakers) as their mother tongue, but have found the non-Hindi mother-tongue speakers (it is of course taught in schools) to take pride in explaining their regional mother tongue.

One individual from Uttar Pradesh exclusively used the pronunciation 'him-ah-lee-a' rather than 'him-a-lay-a' for the mountain range with which we are familiar. He would know.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Had an enjoyable morning at the Southend mini show, then went shopping in Tess Coes and that bought Arthur Itis out in protest but a couple of Nurofen settled him. Thats an interesting take on Bohemian Rhapsody Stewart, here's an orchestral version, I found it when looking for a string quartet version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCFnzSCzoYA

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, TheQ said:

Sadly of course, there are no native speakers of Cornish, the last died at least 100 years ago.. All today are learners of the language, in effect recreated from records. While enthusiasts try to keep the language alive, there is no general use of it in the population.. unlike the others I've listed.

Similarly Welsh native speaking populations in England died out in the 1800s and in Scotland in the 1600s.

The Danish / Viking speakers  in the east of the UK died out gradually died out maybe 1000 years ago, but some words became dialect and are still occasionally in use all along the east..

8 hours ago, The White Rabbit said:

Not just dialect. Old Norse words which have been assimilated into English include bylaw, creek, egg, guest, husband, keel, muck, rotten, skill, sky, window. 

Then there's the more obvious ones such as berserk, geyser, mire and saga. 

There are a few Essex dialect words that are of Scandinavian origin still in use but rapidly going out of use. One such word is 'wantz'. Meaning a place were several lanes meet and it still exists in some place names such as 'Five Wantz Ends' (Chelmsford) and 'Wantz Corner' (Dagenham). There are some 'English' foods that originate from Scandinavia. The Bakewell pudding (not tart*) for example. It was common fare in Eastern England and about two hundred years ago an innkeepers wife in Bakewell became renowned for making them so they became Bakewell puddings. *The Bakewell tart was a derivative 'invented' in the late Victorian period.

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 10
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, 45156 said:

Afternoon All

Sorry to say that I have had to skip - too many events locally taking up time today, and we had to miss some as well - so it is just the ususal greetings to all fellow ERs - I raised a glass to AndrewC at lunch time, as I normally have a whisky then rather than in the evening - a strictly measured 35ml.

Not a lot more to add today, but I have now heard what I thought was impossible on a guitar - the entire Bohemian Rhapsody played on a solo guitar - guitarists and queen fans, listen and weep for the sheer virtuosity of this rendition. I've been playing for well over 55 years, and can say that if I lived and practiced for 155 years, I wouldn't get close,

Regards to All

Stewart

Sent the link round the family!

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

I receive many printed catalogues from companies wishing for me to purchase something from them. Now that the calendar says "Autumn" (despite 29°C being forecast today) we are in the run-up to the Yuletide holidays.

A posh Californian department store sent me their 'holiday' catalog. A page of jewelry was styled in a manner that caught my eye, and may I think some here, so I thought I'd share a photograph I took of the page in question:

image.png.36dda036ac4fbae8bafb4bf7c2056b96.png

What caught my eye of course was not the jewelry, but the staging - on *some* sort of representation of one of Swindon's finest, in a curious colour but with a "GREAT WESTERN RAILWAY" headboard and splasher nameplate. The stylist has gone to great lengths using teased cotton-wool steam, but I'm not too sure about that second 'chimney' / very active safety valves.  😉

I case you are wondering the baubles on the boiler (labelled 'B') retail for $3,000.00 for the pair and the necklace labelled 'A' is $2,750.00.  

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Funny 3

1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

Thats an interesting take on Bohemian Rhapsody Stewart, here's an orchestral version, I found it when looking for a string quartet version.

35 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Another take on Bohemian Rhapsody (piano/violin duet + string quartet).

With all these covers of Bohemian Rhapsody, I'm compelled to include the version by The Muppets including Kermit's take on video conferences.

• Like 8
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

I had a bathroom fan and very usefully the sticker had been placed the wrong way round on the wiring connector block. Fortunately I had looked at the printed instructions and noticed the difference. 

We recently received a heavy parcel which said this way up with the associated arrows in the correct direction. This instruction was obviously not understood as the parcel was dropped in the porch upside down incurring a large dent in the packaging. Fortunately, when I opened it (videoing it at the same time, just in case - later deleted from the 'phone) the lid of the can of paint which had been upside down, did not come off leaving paint all over the inside of the package as has happened before with paint going everywhere as we tried to clean that can up. 

24 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Snip...

What caught my eye of course was not the jewelry, but the staging - on *some* sort of representation of one of Swindon's finest, in a curious colour but with a "GREAT WESTERN RAILWAY" headboard and splasher nameplate. The stylist has gone to great lengths using teased cotton-wool steam, but I'm not too sure about that second 'chimney' / very active safety valves.  😉

I case you are wondering the baubles on the boiler (labelled 'B') retail for $3,000.00 for the pair and the necklace labelled 'A' is $2,750.00.  

...a double chimney?

Hat, coat, smoke deflector...

• Like 15
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, PupCam said:

Evening All!

I embarked on an adventure into the depths of Suffolk today, to visit an old motorcycle emporium on my quest for bits for the little Beeza.   It was a long way to go but I'm pleased to report that I came home with almost one and a half "engines" so hopefully I will be in a better position to build one good one from all the bits I now have.  

Although I've still to assess my new haul, I know for certain that it at least contains 2 cam followers.  These are rarer than the proverbial Rocking Horse ... so I'm a happy bunny Puppers!    Let's hope I'm still a happy Puppers when the assessment is complete.    Of course, the wallet is less than happy but I think a fair price was paid.   

As an aside, said emporium resides in an old railway station.   What's not to like 😀

TTFN

Bear predicts that Puppers could recover a nice little haul by flogging off spare engine parts on the 'bay.....keeping those bits that you *might* just need in the future of course..... 

• Like 7
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

With all these covers of Bohemian Rhapsody, I'm compelled to include the version by The Muppets including Kermit's take on video conferences.

Bookmarked under "favourites" for when I need cheering up which might be quite often.

• Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3