RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

Morning, from a very wet rock.  Fridgy behaved, so hopefully it was just a glitch.

Door not shut properly maybe?  The Beary fridge door open alarm only goes off if the light is on and the door is open for too long; it's possible for the light to be off but the door still slightly open.  Designed by an Ar5ebadger, obviously.

2 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Just a thought about disposing of them, once used they will be soaked in cooking oil so if you have a log burner they would make great firelighters.

I wonder if the room would smell like a chip shop afterwards?  We need a report.....

3 hours ago, grandadbob said:

Good morning all,

Another dull start here but there may be some sunny spells later.

No firm plans made for today but another visit to The Shed is on the cards.

@polybear PB may I suggest you buy some air fryer liners for your new toy.  They fit in the outer basket and catch any stuff dripping through the inner basket and make cleaning soooo much easier.  I found some 9" square ones similar to these for mine which are a perfect fit but currently they don't seem to be available.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Disposable-Parchment-Oil-Proof-Water-Proof-Microwave/dp/B0B5N4N7B7/ref=sr_1_13

If you do use the parchment type I've seen suggestions online  that you don't put them in while preheating.  Apparently they can catch fire, it didn't happen to me but I now take that advice.   You can also line them with ordinary kitchen foil.  HTH.

Time for more tea and then breakfast.

Have a good one,

Bob.

Thanks GDB - there are also Silicon Liners that are washable.  I'll investigate - it's due tomorrow.....

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, tetsudofan said:

Having spent nearly 30 years of my working life in Asia (Hong Kong, India, Singapore, Japan and Korea) I ended up having three sets of business attire - for the winter (certainly needed in Japan and Korea), one for the summer and the other for Spring and Autumn.

Keith

Asia is such a large place, and incredibly diverse. For European people their frame of reference for scale is (entirely understandably) Europe, for Western Europe it is essentially Western Europe, so Asia and other large continents like North and South America are hard for us to comprehend. If you go from the Bosporus to Japan you take in the Middle East (itself large and diverse), South Asia, SE Asia, Asiatic Russia, Central Asia and East Asia. Each of those areas is huge and diverse, with some of the worlds most influential cultures (the home of the Abrahamic religions, Persia, India and it's rich variety of cultures, China, Buddhism and more). Japan, Korea and China can be brutal in the winter and have very distinct seasons, the Northern part of Vietnam can be quite cold in the North (it's another big country). SE Asia isn't really seasonal, there are wet and dry seasons but it is not a night/day difference. In the dry season there is still a lot of rain and in the wet season still a lot of nice, sunny weather. South Asia and the Middle East can be brutally hot. 

• Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

6 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

I have a tip, avoid lined trousers in tropical climes. Today I had to don a suit (shudder), normal business attire here is smart casual trousers and a polo shirt or similar but every now and then more formal attire is required. My suit trousers are all lined and in the tropics it's a nightmare as the lining just sticks to the skin.

Ever thought of wearing a kilt?

• Like 1
  • Funny 14

20 hours ago, polybear said:

Bear has picked an Air Fryer - only it's out of stock at JL.  Turdycurses.  I can get it for the same price from Currys but with only 1 year warranty (JL give 2 years).  Double Turdycurses.  Now do I wait or do I jump?  Decisions, decisions.....

Now you are devoting your affections elsewhere, whatever will become of "Minnie The Microwave"? Will The Bear callously abandon her in favour of his new toy? Will she be pensioned off and eke out the rest of her days, hidden from all and sundry in a dusty cupboard?

Or will she be savagely dismembered for parts, her remnants consigned to an unmarked grave?

On 03/10/2022 at 16:41, grandadbob said:

A'noon,

@polybear I waited until The Boss started packing up then went out to "help!"

@PhilJ W & PB I was going to buy a Ninja air fryer but the one I wanted was out of stock everywhere so i bought a Cosori which seems to have had very good reviews. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/COSORI-Electric-Temperature-Reminder-Function/dp/B07N8QY3YH?th=1

Very pleased with it so far and I got mine for £99.99

I'm wondering how well an air fryer will cope with "wet batters" - like a beer batter for fish (as in "fish and chips") or a tempura batter? Items that are "wet battered" require being immersed in a hot liquid (oil or lard or dripping) to immediately create a solid crust as the food inside the batter cooks.

I have a suspicion that an air fryer wouldn't cope very well with tempura shrimp, freshly battered cod, onion bhajis or the like - basically, anything "wet". It could probably do a credible job with Arancini, paniertes schnitzel or Tonkatsu - (there are recipes online for air-fried versions of these, so it can be done - although I wonder how the air fryer versions compare with "traditional" versions).

Mrs iD is already grumbling about the amount of equipment I have. I'm not sure she'd approve of me buying one just to "try out" / "play with"

19 hours ago, Coombe Barton said:

... I just wish sometime that I could catch the poached eggs in that millisecond between totally runny and totally solid ...

Technically (and to be super correct) for "proper" poached eggs the raw eggs should be dropped into simmering water that has been acidulated with some vinegar - this link shows you how (has some good tips - like using a deep pan of water) https://downshiftology.com/recipes/poached-eggs/

However, most of the time I can't be faffed to do it properly and one of these (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Eggssentials-Poached-Egg-Maker-Stainless/dp/B078GXJQNN/ref=sr_1_13?crid=YHAG02GC9U6C&keywords=poached+egg+pan&qid=1664898969&qu=eyJxc2MiOiIzLjk5IiwicXNhIjoiMy40OCIsInFzcCI6IjMuMzMifQ%3D%3D&sprefix=poached+egg+pan%2Caps%2C144&sr=8-13) gives me pretty much the same results (certainly in terms of taste and texture) as the traditional method.

Mrs iD enjoys her Eggs Benedict and Eggs Florentine (but not too heavy on the Hollandaise).

2 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

I recommend doing a bit of research on T2 diabetes, Dave - fruit isn't so good, it is full of sugars (fructose) as I am sure you know, and fat isn't the enemy of diabetes, or many other things it was once blamed for.  Carbs are the real enemy (and biccies of course, and the dreaded LDC), pasta, rice, some cereals etc are where the sugars come from.  In my case, rice is a killer, followed by wheat.  I bought a meter to learn what increases my blood sugars although the NHS don't like T2's to have them - daft, as the small cost of them saves so much later in life - and it was incredibly shocking what some foods did to me.  My HbA1c was in the mid 50's so I was T2 confirmed, it is now 37 due to dietary modifications, no drugs.  I appreciate you're not in T2 level yet, but it's a warning!

iD (where is he at the moment - concerning absence) will confirm the above re fats and carbs BTW!

diabetes.co.uk is highly recommended, there's a T2 section, some good reading in there.  

NHN is quite right. Carbohydrates (especially "simple" carbohydrates - as found in white bread, rice, pasta, etc.) need to be approached with caution and certain "simple" carbohydrates (such as sugar and high fructose corn syrup) should be avoided altogether. Complex carbohydrates are much better - but again need careful monitoring.

Fat is much maligned - obviously a very high fat diet isn't good for you (but neither is a diet high in processed carbohydrates [LDC, oven chips,etc.] andd certain treats like chocolate bars - sadly]), but having said that, fat satiates you much better than carbohydrates. although this is anecdotal (and personal) 150gm of slow roast pork belly (a fatty cut) will leave me feeling fuller (and more quickly) than 150gm cooked white pasta.

Basically, eat sensibly, be careful about the carbs you eat and enjoy butter, eggs and meats.

• Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Not long back from the opticians and my annual eye test. Very little change from last year so no new specs required. When I was looking at dry fryers there was one with a self cleaning facility. You filled a special compartment with water and another small compartment with washing up liquid, press a button and hey presto in cleans, rinses and dries itself in about ten minutes and all that is required is emptying the waste container. Mind you its a huge machine about twice the size of a normal dry fryer and about five times the price.

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Now you are devoting your affections elsewhere, whatever will become of "Minnie The Microwave"? Will The Bear callously abandon her in favour of his new toy? Will she be pensioned off and eke out the rest of her days, hidden from all and sundry in a dusty cupboard?

Or will she be savagely dismembered for parts, her remnants consigned to an unmarked grave?

Highly unlikely, unless I suddenly discover how to easily, cheaply (and very quickly) cook baked beans, frozen peas, Ready Brek, Treacle Sponge etc. in an Air Fryer...... 😃

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 15

Something for ERs wanting to see what the French Swiss can get up to: https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2022/oct/04/rail-route-of-the-month-jura-mountains-switzerland-trains

Mind you, Delémont (about a 30 minute drive from where I live) isn't (IMHO) the best advertisement for the Jura - but you can get a damn good fondue with wild mushrooms and garlic there.

For further Swiss adventures:

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2019/may/04/alps-by-train-switzerland-austria-lake-geneva-tirol

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2019/feb/24/swiss-time-travel-aboard-glacier-express-st-moritz-switzerland (it also passes through the village where we have the Holiday Hovel)

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2022/may/04/rail-route-of-the-month-basel-to-locarno-the-slow-swiss-alps-classic

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 1