The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, tetsudofan said:

Was the shop Tenshodo just off the Ginza? Watch/Jewellery shop on the ground floor and trains on three floors above it.

If so, I spent many a lunch break there! They even had some LGB in a large cabinet on the staircase up to the trains.

Keith

The one to visit is the evergreen department on the top floor which is full of second-hand brass. Some of it is frighteningly expensive but it's all drool worthy and they usually have some really obscure and odd ball stuff. One of the things about brass is that because very low production runs are viable (even unique one-off models) you see stuff that is unlikely ever to be done RTR. Tenshodo are one of the great names of model railways, though they're probably best known for the US outline brass models they supplied. 

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium

On cruise ships I've never been on a cruise but went on-board cruise ships when I worked in class. I remember one day I was on one of the huge RCCL mega ships to do some work and was chatting to their technical manager who said why don't we go for an ice cream. So we ended up sat on one of the decks enjoying ice cream and a rather nice fruit juice 'mocktail'. I was wearing a Lloyd's Register polo shirt and lanyard with a company hard hat next to me, I just knew people must have been walking past thinking '***** typical, ***** British workers, paid to work and he's sat stuffing his face with ice cream'🤣

• Funny 17

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, PupCam said:

Evening All!

...snip... Come to think of it, there wasn't a lot of house either - a middle of terrace, 2 up 2 down cottage 10' wide and 18' deep! ...snip...

4 hours ago, pH said:

And we thought the first house we stayed in when we were married was narrow! We had all of another foot of width. And the back yard was about 30 yards long.

That reminds me of the narrowest house in Baltimore, MD; it is about six or so feet wide, a long-armed person could touch both walls at the same time. And now Night owl from the Piedmont.

Edited by J. S. Bach
To correct a typo.
  • Like 19

• RMweb Premium

I grew up in a two up, two down terrace in Carlisle. Nowadays the area I grew up with would probably be considered a slum but I had a happy childhood in the 70's and 80's and there was a real sense of community. All the old dears (or as they say in Singapore, all the aunties) would be out cleaning the pavement in front of their houses as there was an expectation that people not only to looked after their own home but also kept the street in tip top shape. I can't help feeling Britain lost something.

I also sometimes look back on school and the influence teachers have over their pupils. The 1980's when I was at secondary school was undeniably a hard time for many people in Britain, with profound changes to the economy, industry and employment and a lot of social unrest. I remember some teachers telling their pupils there wasn't much point worrying about doing well at school as there were no jobs and spending as much time on polemics about the then Prime Minister as they did teaching. I must admit I was not blameless, people in one of my sets figured out if our English literature teacher saw a copy of the Sun he'd spend all lesson ranting and we had a lesson off so we took turns to turn up in class with a rolled-up copy of the Sun we'd find somewhere visible in our pocket and get him going. However, my interest was in maths, science and history and I was very lucky with the teachers in those subjects, even though I was a terrible pupil. I figured out if I passed all the exams with good grades that's all anyone was really bothered about and have a weird mind that works in a strange way meaning I look distracted and bored while taking things in and actually following everything which is being said, I doodle all the time. Especially in maths and physics I short circuit stuff as I can look at a sheet of mathematical relationships and equations and just take it in and answer without thinking. I suspect it probably puts me somewhere on the spectrum of autism but it is a very useful trait as an engineer. Anyway, I had parents and maths, science teachers who were very much more positive about the world and were clear that if you work hard, study hard then life is what you make of it and at least you'll have options in life. Though they weren't happy that I decided to do a merchant navy cadetship instead of going to university (I went to university later as a mature student and then did a master's later still). I look back and find it sad so many of the kids I grew up with took a fatalist view of life and the world and went into a self-fulfilling vicious circle of not making any effort because there was no point, going nowhere and being vindicated in their own mind that there was no point trying. Sad.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 15
  • Friendly/supportive 2

52 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Is that banana tree productive?

It's actually a giant Bird Of Paradise plant, about 12 feet tall now. Banana trees do bear fruit here,  though we do get the occasional frost which keeps me from trying one personally.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 7

24 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

Banana trees do bear fruit here

The next door neighbours had a banana tree back home. They are fussy about male/female plants in proximity and pollination. It fruited a couple of times. The neighbours tried to get rid of it but it kept coming back. They succeeded eventually.

We had paw-paw (aka papaya) trees. They grew up against the guttering on the roof and when young it was my assignment to climb a ladder to the roof to pick them. Mum would eat them for breakfast.  The trunks being very soft, they are not sturdy enough to sustain a ladder placed against the tree itself. I never really cared for paw-paw but will happily eat it in a tropical fruit salad

We also had a mandarin orange / mandarine tree. It fruited reliably for a number of years.

In the yard behind us was a monster mango tree. It did not reliably fruit, but occasionally produced nice mangoes.

• Like 18
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

6 hours ago, tetsudofan said:

Was the shop Tenshodo just off the Ginza? Watch/Jewellery shop on the ground floor and trains on three floors above it.

When I recounted my enjoyable visit to a Japanese model railway shop in Tokyo I couldn’t remember the name of it, but it being in the Ginza did ring a bell. And now that you mentioned it, I remember that it was the Tenshodo shop I visited (I remember pouncing upon the name because at the time there was a lot in the British model railway press about Tenshodo motors - although probably there is no connection between the two).

Edited by iL Dottore
  • Like 12
  • Round of applause 1

2 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

I grew up in a two up, two down terrace in Carlisle. Nowadays the area I grew up with would probably be considered a slum but I had a happy childhood in the 70's and 80's and there was a real sense of community.

It seems that housing in a lot of the UK – originally built for the workers around an industry – goes through three phases: firstly, as a working-class community; secondly, as a slum; and thirdly as very desirable (and needless to say expensive) inner city housing for the well heeled middle-class. The irony is that the grandchildren are now living in areas that their grandparents would never even deign or condescend to visit when they (the Grandparents) were young.

I guess the secret to becoming a British property tycoon is to be able to figure out well in advance which area of slum housing is going to go through a rebirth and become an intensely desirable neighbourhood. In that way you could buy a full street of houses (at the beginning of the area’s gentrification) for the price of what a single house would go for on today’s market.

I remember, in the late 60s, that Shoreditch was so rundown (and considered so dangerous) that they couldn’t even give property away. And now? Definitely six figure prices!

2 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

I grew up in a two up, two down terrace in Carlisle. Nowadays the area II look back and find it sad so many of the kids I grew up with took a fatalist view of life and the world and went into a self-fulfilling vicious circle of not making any effort because there was no point, going nowhere and being vindicated in their own mind that there was no point trying. Sad.

I’m wondering if this isn’t a very British thing, (what I have highlighted above) that these kids are influenced to be fatalistic (if not actively discouraged from “doing well in school”) by those around them?

When I did my first temporary job in the UK after University in the US (whilst all my professional  paperwork was being processed) I did a month’s stint in a clerical role at the then newly formed British Telecom.  It was an interesting gig, not least because of the varied personalities in the office. We had a young man, about 17, a skinhead and a bit of a lad but a pretty decent fellow nonetheless, who was excited about joining the army and learning a trade and “bettering himself“. My fellow clerk, a Dave Spart type if there ever was one, openly sneered at the young lad for being “a class traitor” and implied that the young lad should be satisfied with doing what his dad did, rather than go into the army, learn skills and a trade and better himself. (I encouraged the lad to “go for it”, much to the disgust of the Dave Spart type who was also irritated with me because as I was a “Johnny foreigner“ he couldn’t pigeonhole me).

Certainly “knowing your place” was (still is?) expected in British society and woe betide anyone wanting to break out. As beautifully lampooned by Monty Python in the 60s: 

From my reading, it does seem that this “know your place and stick to it” evolved during the Edwardian era; the Victorian era – certainly up to the late 1800s – was marked by a lot of social mobility with all classes actively encouraged to be involved in learning and culture.

All I can say is “what a waste“.

Edited by iL Dottore
Clarifying text
  • Like 8
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Had some rain earlier and more is due in 22 minutes according to my phone app.  Outbreaks of rain, sometimes heavy,  forecast throughout the day.  Currently 8°C possibly rising to 14°C.         

A couple of domestic tasks are on the list after breakfast and then I may well be watching some rugby, recorded and live.  Quelle surprise!

Soon be time for breakfast.

Have a good one,

Bob.

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

When I recounted my enjoyable visit to a Japanese model railway shop in Tokyo I couldn’t remember the name of it, but it being in the Ginza did ring a bell. And now that you mentioned it, I remember that it was the Tenshodo shop I visited (I remember pouncing upon the name because at the time there was a lot in the British model railway press about Tenshodo motors - although probably there is no connection between the two).

It's the same Tenshodo, Tenshodo is an odd company, a jewellery shop and watchmaker that makes model trains. I guess there's a lot of cross over between the skills needed as a jeweller and making models so maybe it's more surprising the connection isn't more common. Their model railway business is hard to pigeonhole too as they go from low-cost entry-level plastic HO RTR through high end plastic HO RTR, high end diecast HO RTR with sound to their famous brass range with sidelines in motors, Z and N as well as being a retail shop. Another interesting thing is they're not truly a manufacturer. Their watches are manufactured to Tenshodo designs by companies like Citizen and the model trains are outsourced (they may do a small amount of the highest end brass in-house). Their shop in Ginza is a remarkable place, there aren't many model shops like it.

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 1

53 minutes ago, jjb1970 said:

It's the same Tenshodo, …………

…….. Their shop in Ginza is a remarkable place, there aren't many model shops like it.

Seems a pity I missed that one as we did spend some time in Giza.

Thinking about it though, less than a month before I was at Intermodelbau in Dortmund so perhaps it’s a good thing I did miss it. Shouldn’t grumble, we had a very good time cruising around Japan (and Vladivostok).

The Tokyo metro system is a bit of an eye opener though.

image.jpg.2a1ff71ab4ede33d628123598edfe212.jpg

Edited by Erichill16
Spelling
  • Like 16
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

When I was a crusty young sea-dog we used to go to Kobe a lot, there was a shop in the Daimaru which was a sort of John Lewis' sort of department store, but absolutely huge.  The model railway floor was eye boggling, but I didn't have much spendy money back then and they weren't cheap.  Wish I had splashed out now though.  I'd love to go back to Japan, I loved the country, maybe when Mrs NHN retires we will do so.

Edited by New Haven Neil
speelink
  • Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Arthur Itis was making his presence felt this morning but a brace of Nurofen has seen him off. Not much planned for today except the bread pudding, it will be the first time I've used the oven in over a year so I'd better check it out.

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 1