The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

What really rattled my cage was that to the accountants we were depriving them of funds when in actual fact all we were doing was our job.

It got so bad at one place I worked that no orders could be placed unless it was a health and safety issue.

One of the noticeable things that did change over the years was the amount of paperwork required.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Gold

Why is it that businesses seek higher profits when things 'go wrong'.  

Seems that quote  (ITPro) "As recession bites, more firms are expected to engage in cuts of this kind.from big tech layoffs, including unsustainable business models and a drive for greater profit at the expense of employee security".  

These things come in waves, although currently the 'wave' is both more severe and longer, but when things get better they cannot get the staff - who  those who complain most - the 'big cats' at the top rather than the small guys at the base who need the monies to survive.

Edited by PeterBB
  • Like 16

2 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

One of my pet hates is leaving offences in statute books but ceasing enforcement..... It creates the possibility for authorities to pull out a long list of nefarious deeds to bring people to heel (or destroy them) should they ever say or do the wrong thing down the line.

But that's the whole point - if they can't get you under modern law and your tax affairs are squeaky clean (taxes is how the Feds "got" Al Capone), then they'll "get" you with some (almost) long forgotten law.

For political matters: Let's say I am a vocal, visible and popular up and coming politician with my own political party and BIG thorn-in-the-side to the powers-that-be and I have a big following: I have been very careful not to even skirt the edges of what is legally permissible (paying particular attention to not running afoul of the various "you said something nasty to someone and their feelings are hurt" types of law), my financial affairs are above board, publicly transparent and not only do I not owe back-taxes I am actually in credit with the taxman. Then either the powers-that-be will invite me to join them (on the basis it is better to have me on the inside ******* out , than the other way around)* OR I will be arrested and tried under some obscure law that's never been rescinded (perhaps something like "using foul language in front of a Vicar's donkey"). Now the case may or may not be thrown out of court - but it would serve to derail my political ambitions: Mud sticks.

And if I was a criminal kingpin, the powers-that-be's job would be even easier

* in some authoritarian regimes, some of the regime's bitterest enemies are often highly placed officials within that regime. Such outspoken critics having been effectively been neutralised by being given grand titles and roles (no matter how powerless they actually are. It's incredibly difficult to effectively and credibly attack Generalissimo iL Dottore's rotten regime when you are seen to be supping at the same table...

Edited by iL Dottore
Typo
  • Like 11
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Fortunately I am  an honest and trustworthy person as one year we had an unexpected large amount of year end money transferred. I actually worked for two managers. The one at the centre I wasn’t based at was the recipient for the funding. He was busy so handed me (not really supposed to) a pad of pre signed local authority order forms and told me to spend it and get them in the post that day. I did ask my colleagues for suggestions. Most of them were sensible but there were a few “ooh, where are going then?”  It wasn’t really that difficult as I had been putting together a list for the following years budget anyway, so quite a few schools got their extra printers and disc drives a bit early. 

I was lead Project Engineer for an upgrade being funded by a local authority. There was a council organisation coming up and the one in charge was being merged. They didn't want Phase 2 to be scrapped and had some cash to dispose of before they disappeared. The Project Manager called me and asked if there was anything I could do to help them. I bought 3000 tons of ballast and 4 miles of concrete troughing and had ot all delivered to the site earmarked for the workd depot on Phase 2. No-one on the new council dared cancel Phase 2.

• Like 18
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

5 hours ago, PeterBB said:

Why is it that businesses seek higher profits when things 'go wrong'.  

Seems that quote  (ITPro) "As recession bites, more firms are expected to engage in cuts of this kind.from big tech layoffs, including unsustainable business models and a drive for greater profit at the expense of employee security".  

These things come in waves, although currently the 'wave' is both more severe and longer, but when things get better they cannot get the staff - who  those who complain most - the 'big cats' at the top rather than the small guys at the base who need the monies to survive.

It is far easier to get rid of a few hundred/thousand minions than to 'let go' a gru.

Plus when was the last time you heard of a boss sacking himself or taking a wage reduction so that his workers didn't have to.

Edited by Winslow Boy
More thoughts
  • Like 10
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

However there is something dishonest and insidious about leaving offences in place but allowing people to ignore them. It creates the possibility for authorities to pull out a long list of nefarious deeds to bring people to heel (or destroy them) should they ever say or do the wrong thing down the line.

I’d best remember to go out and practice my archery on Sunday then.  
Probably no good asking Mrs @New Haven Neil for tips as it has to be with my longbow.  
Now where did I leave it.

• Like 1
  • Funny 16

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Tony_S said:

When I worked in Essex lots of school stuff came from Essex County Supplies.

We had a similar arrangement through an organisation called ‘Yorkshire Purchasing Organisation’.  Its catalogue was very thick, of considerable weight and covered just about everything that you would ever need to purchase.  You could tell when the budget had become available because H.O.D.s listed heavily to one side or the other depending on which hand they were carrying the catalogue.

This was when all schools were Local Education Authority controlled and under no circumstances could you purchase from elsewhere.  The only exception were computer consumables which were purchased, like yours I assume, from the LEA ‘microtechnology centre’.  

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, BoD said:

Well, after all the angst over blood test results and various tests,  they have decided that I have quite severe vitamin D deficiency and have I been prescribed two vitamin D supplement tablets a week for 7 weeks.  Obviously such things are available over the counter but the G.P. said  he would prescribe something of greater strength than generally available.  He seems to think this could possibly help with the breathing issues.  We shall see.

I had 2000iu vitamin D3 capsules taken twice a week. A bit stronger than over the counter ones. Don’t need them now, apparently I am ok!

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, BoD said:

I’d best remember to go out and practice my archery on Sunday then.  
Probably no good asking Mrs @New Haven Neil for tips as it has to be with my longbow.  
Now where did I leave it.

However the minimum range is I think 200 feet, or maybe yards.  There are still arrow marks on the base of the church tower in Giggleswick, from where they sharpened thevarrows.  They practised after chirch 9n a Sunday.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Si Attica made a surprise attack just before lunch today. The end result is nothing much done today. Its still grumbling away despite laying on my back for most of the afternoon. I was unable to go to Tess Coes today so I'm running low on bread and milk but I have (just) enough to see me through to the morning.

• Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

have no idea.

Almost certainly fingers or thumbs. Many years ago when Aditi was using a BBC micro to word process her Masters thesis she kept getting cross as the computer kept locking up. In the end I realised that her chest was resting on the space bar and filling the buffer, generating beeps. I suggested she moved the micro a bit further away .

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 7
  • Funny 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

18 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

Petrol stations still have pump attendants.

14 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

I’m wondering whether or not what you describe is down to the fact that in many Asian cultures catering for what is good for society is more important than catering for individualism.

It remains (mostly*) illegal to pump your own gas/petrol in Oregon (and New Jersey).

* There are some exceptions and others in rural areas that are pandemic hangovers.

The motivation was to provide gainful employment. So, not exclusively Asian cultures.

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium

Walkabout amounted to 10 miles today. I need to find a weighing machine as my trousers are far too large around my waist.

Good win for England cricket and nice to see Joffra getting back into some form.

Time to test up before continuing on my walkabout.

Stay safe!

Baz

• Like 18
  • Agree 1