RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, polybear said:

And there was mention of how many in the Church - 2000; apparently QE2's Party had 8000 - that must've been "cosy"....

BG

They installed a lot of temporary seats in tiers on wood and scaffolding.  They even used a narrow gauge railway to get all the materials into place from one of the side doors. 

Jamie

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

4 hours ago, Grizz said:

Questionable or inappropriate product naming when viewed by a different nation. These two are genuine examples from Denmark, found during our last trip home. 

One is a bit abrupt and the other is perhaps best described as just wrong…can you spot which one is which?

98B476EE-BFB3-464B-870F-7EE48A140655.jpeg.330105bc05b7d67044057572f12b13cd.jpeg

I've never seen that moulded on top of a winegum...

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

Back in my NHS days I spent a year on secondment to a project - positive action for ethnic minorities & asylum seeking qualified medical practitioners - it was about getting a fair deal to get them registered and working, and we were desperately short of said staff.  Not long afterwards my commitment to equality was questioned in one of those courses mentioned earlier.  To say I had a field day is putting it mildly!

Oops, getting shouted at to go to archery.  Laters.

A few years ago I rocked the boat at some diversity and inclusivity training organized by my then employer. I found some of the material being used by the (white) trainer itself to be patronizing and xenophobic and said so. Usually I am not a fan of vicarious outrage on behalf of others, which is also rather patronizing and denies agency on the part of others (as Mrs JJB likes to point out) but in this case there were no Muslims or Chinese in the room. So I spoke up in their absence and questioned whether they found their material in some god awful racist 1970's ching chong comedy routine and a pastiche of ali baba and the 40 thieves as I couldn't remember the last time I'd seen so many cheap stereotypes of Chinese and Muslim people. If they'd been doing it deliberately to demonstrate what not to do and say then it would have been fair enough. However it was clearly the genuine impression of what the training organization thought of those peoples. A strong complaint went from the training provider and department to my boss, the marine director, unfortunately for them he'd been country manager for China and also spent significant time in the UAE and Saudi Arabia and when he read the power points and training material agreed with me. We never saw or heard anything from that training provider again.

Something it did make me wonder about was that the trainer obviously had very limited exposure to other cultures (it really was cringe inducing), on what basis are people considered competent to lecture others? There now seems to be all sorts of pseudo-academic disciplines trying to take on the same status as established scientific disciplines which seem to attract all sorts of people. Some no doubt are very knowledgeable, others have seen an opportunity to jump on a bandwagon.

• Like 11
  • Round of applause 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, jjb1970 said:

We never saw or heard anything from that training provider again.

I worked for about 7 years providing in service training for schools and colleges in a London Borough. During that time there were quite a few changes taking place with exams, school reorganisations and the technology available. Our managers often arranged training for us to keep us up to date. Some of the trainers were terrible. Complaints were made and better ones were sent. 
When I returned to teaching, I was also in receipt of training sessions. Some were well done but there seemed to be a lot of resistance from some staff to being informed or “upskilled” which was disappointing in an educational establishment. 

• Like 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

Well I enjoyed the coronation for the main part - the true star of the show IMHO was Penny Mordaunt, who carried off her duties with grace and poise - she did so as well when the late queen's passing was announced.  Politics aside, she seems to have a real feeling for that sort of event.

True, much of the ritual was archaic, but it has been cast in history for about a millenium now. 

The return with its high tech organised step off of thousands of military men and women was very well done, and could so easily have gone wrong.  

I too was disappointed at the curtailed fly past, but the low cloud base made that quite inevitable - at least the helicopters and the red arrows made it. 

As to the commentary - BBC said onscreen a number of times that various accessible media, and a commentary free version were available on the red button - I checked and they were - pehaps @Barry O was watching ITV.

The main spoiler for me was that on Friday I had a problem with Homeserve having sent our repair job to the wrong engineer, so that one engineer had the part, and another had the job.  I raised a complaint and as they couldn't get hold of anybody by 6pm last night, they rang during the run up - and also said that the engineer would ring - so I was on tenterhooks for the call, but in the end, they dealt with it by email - which I discovered after the coronation, and as they had given me an unsuitable appointment, I had to ring them, but only after it was all over.

All posts have been skim read, which is an improvement on my performance of late.

And for music lovers, this came into my inbox yesterday.

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Only bought one item at the toy fair, an American box cab diesel locomotive. I was eyeing it up for the chassis to see if it would fit a 3D printed body I have.  I had to buy it as the dealer warned me that the body was loose, but I didn't realise just how loose as I only had to turn it a few degrees and the chassis fell out! Not only that it hit the table and bits went flying everywhere. The good news is that I had almost made up my mind to buy it and I was going to dismantle it anyway. It was £50 which I thought was reasonable for the model.  

• Friendly/supportive 19

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, Sidecar Racer said:

That's the problem with wanting diversity in any area  , you cant magic up people .

Lewis Hamilton has long moaned about this in F1 , but if minorities of any ethnicity don't want

to be involved that's  it . .....

That rather misses out the bit about opportunity to be involved. To take the F1 example, motor sport costs money and if your particular ethnic group is financially disadvantaged then the opportunities to start, let alone progress, will be diminished. There's also the well known concept of limited horizons, do you believe that you stand a chance in a particular field of endeavour? If people of your background aren't present then what makes you feel that it would be achievable? Look at those who have made it into F1 as drivers, a significant number are the sons of F1 drivers, a significant number have wealthy parents or backers.

• Like 7
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

This is a photograph of the model I bought.

image.png.0fd1e5b40966211db0b131ac8c5d3906.png

The only difference is the livery, mine is a plain dark brown. Ironically the model I intend the chassis for is one of the three supplied by BTH to Ford's Dagenham plant in 1931.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 16
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, jjb1970 said:

Something it did make me wonder about was that the trainer obviously had very limited exposure to other cultures (it really was cringe inducing), on what basis are people considered competent to lecture others? There now seems to be all sorts of pseudo-academic disciplines trying to take on the same status as established scientific disciplines which seem to attract all sorts of people. Some no doubt are very knowledgeable, others have seen an opportunity to jump on a bandwagon.

In Bear's experience (and based on that received at The Great Empire) many Trainers could "talk the talk" but I had great doubts that they could actually "walk the walk".

Bear here....

More danglin' completed.  That's a Tick.

The Ebay buyer has yet to contact me regarding collection....I do have their money though.....

BG

• Like 12
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
44 minutes ago, 45156 said:

True, much of the ritual was archaic, but it has been cast in history for about a millenium now. 

The return with its high tech organised step off of thousands of military men and women was very well done, and could so easily have gone wrong.  

It very nearly did:

A WPC on crowd control got a whack in the process (as did some of the crowd) which I imagine wasn't fun.

Edited by polybear
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, Tony_S said:

When I returned to teaching, I was also in receipt of training sessions. Some were well done but there seemed to be a lot of resistance from some staff to being informed or “upskilled” which was disappointing in an educational establishment. 

One of the reasons for this may be that there are/were some good and interesting training sessions being provided but that 'your section had to do' X&Y' rather than what originally appeared to be a choice.  You can probably guess from above the 'enforced sessions' from already known trainer groups.

Edited by PeterBB
  • Like 10

17 minutes ago, polybear said:

It very nearly did:

A WPC on crowd control got a whack in the process (as did some of the crowd) which I imagine wasn't fun.

On 16/04/2023 at 14:28, Adam88 said:

Horses - for safety's sake just keep well clear of all the moving parts.

If only they'd all taken my advice, freely given only last month...

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, polybear said:

It very nearly did:

King's coronation: Horse loses control and crashes into crowds - YouTube

Agree unfortunately about the horse.

What about the RN 12 into 6 routine - came off absolutely brilliantly.

• Like 3
  • Agree 8
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I meant to mention the village green had a band playing. Mostly jazz, but a variety of other music too.

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, PeterBB said:

One of the reasons for this may be that there are/were so good and interesting training sessions being provided but that 'your section had to do x&Y' rather than what originally appeared to be a choice.  You can probably guess from above the 'enforced sessions' from already known trainer groups.

One of the problems at my last college was that any technical training was planned by people with no idea. So we all had to do the same training even though many of us were way past that stage. I got into trouble as I honestly answered the questionnaire, rating the tutor highly, good content but that I learned nothing. 
After one what I thought was a well presented diversity session I was having lunch with  couple of senior colleagues who were a bit miffed about having to attend such a session. Their argument being that they would never discriminate against colleagues or students whatever their background. . However they couldn’t understand that the course was making them aware of what colleagues or students from minority backgrounds had to put up with.  
Tony

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 15

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Neil said:

That rather misses out the bit about opportunity to be involved. To take the F1 example, motor sport costs money and if your particular ethnic group is financially disadvantaged then the opportunities to start, let alone progress, will be diminished. There's also the well known concept of limited horizons, do you believe that you stand a chance in a particular field of endeavour? If people of your background aren't present then what makes you feel that it would be achievable? Look at those who have made it into F1 as drivers, a significant number are the sons of F1 drivers, a significant number have wealthy parents or backers.

I don't think Lewis was commenting on drivers specifically but engineering roles and other areas

within the F1 arena hence my comment {Lewis Hamilton has long moaned about this in F1 , but if

minorities of any ethnicity don't want to be involved that's  it . .....}

See this .  https://www.hamiltoncommission.org/

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
36 minutes ago, PupCam said:

Note to self:   Must get some glass fibre wadding to stuff in the exhaust to try and take a few dBs off of the Brooklands Can* bark!

* A type of old fashioned silencer although that term is used extremely loosely!

TTFNQ

Don't be in too much of a hurry - many Bikers like noisy pipes cos' blind car drivers hear them coming even if they don't see them.....

Anyone remember the old Alfa 4-1 zorsts on a big Jap Four?  Made your ears bleed at 200 yards.  Music.

In other news....

Bear has just unpacked and taken a squint at the recent acquisition off the 'bay (a choo choo - though not steam) - apart from a few wear marks on the outer sleeve of the box it's all as new/unused, but at a fraction of the price; I've yet to test it though - that'll just have to be a couple of wires on the wheels cos' the muddlin' room looks like a bomb site (and a store room) and is currently being used as a paint shop for the H/S/L refurb:

IMG_35331.JPG.07da8832be21b4068c30513294cd0b7b.JPG

In other, other news....

I wonder just how many of the 2000 Party-Goers jumped in their cars afterwards and said to the Chauffeur "ferchrissakes head for the nearest Bog...QUICK....." 🤣

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/royal-family/king-charles-coronation-westminster-abbey-b2333746.html

Bear Gone.

Edited by polybear
  • Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 2