Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

1 hour ago, TheQ said:

1/2 hour spent cutting brambles , morning glory, nettles, Ivy, the alleyway (3ft by 20 ft) is now cut down, thigh says no more, so clearing will be another day. I will buy a couple of bags of salt, since sodium chlorate was banned there hasn't been a good long term weedkiller available.

Just went looking for vinegar to go with the salt on eBay... Discovered the ebay supplier of high strength vinegar is....  13 miles away....

A trip will occur but not today, lugging 25kg bags of salt will annoy thigh.

I'd wish you didn't, poisoning the earth is not a very good idea really.

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

?

Baked beans belong served cold in a sandwich.

When you were aged 8 and were at primary school.

Same goes for tinned spaghetti.

image.png.922d683ad96087aef6553eda7ffb00a8.png

Pass!

• Like 1
  • Agree 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

Kingston and St Mary’s Universities students who have joined our population this week. 

Until you metioned this I had no idea that the teacher training college was now part and parcel of Kingston University or of the change of name.  

Best wishes for your move next Monday.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, tigerburnie said:

I'd wish you didn't, poisoning the earth is not a very good idea really.

It's between a conservatory, in name only it's an extension to the kitchen, with washing machines dryers and freezers in) and a six foot high brick wall other than the above mentioned jungle it should be just a gravel path. No wanted vegetation could be harmed, The only reason I don't concrete it is it would then be a pond ..

A choice for school meals? Never heard of it. You got whatever sludge was put on your plate and had to eat it..

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 15

2 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

image.png.922d683ad96087aef6553eda7ffb00a8.png

Good Grief, no wonder the Aussies are so keen on sports and exercise.

With a menu like that, if they took the British attitude to exercise (i.e. basically just reaching for the TV remote whilst opening another bag of monster munch) they’d be a bunch of larda**s instead of the bronzed, finely honed and chiselled Goddesses (and Gods) we admire and who install fear and panic into every British Athletic endeavour.

Edited by iL Dottore
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Gold
48 minutes ago, Debs. said:

It's nasty stuff! 

I knew someone who got food poisoning from a can of Alphabet Spaghetti - They told me it caused the most painful vowel problems they'd ever had......and they ended up badly consonantipated.🫣

Oh dear. Thank goodness they hadn’t pasta way. 

• Funny 19

7 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

This has long bugged me about the "British" view of the world. 

Why are half the countries of Europe (and many of their cities) Anglicized for English speakers?

Is "Italia" too difficult for the British tongue? Or "Roma" or "Milano"?  Why is "Deutschland" called "Germany"?  (Of course the French do much the same thing - as in Angleterre - but at least that is a literal translation - like Estados Unidos.)

The weird thing is that despite centuries of rivalry/warfare, there are few French cities that are Anglicized. Of course the accent is lost on Paris and we do have some Anglicized departments - like Brittany, but there isn't a "Marsez" for example.

It's a historic thing. the names of countries and cities have been anglicised for centuries; newer or less important places (historically) weren't familiar enough to get anglicised. Not just French place either; it would not surprise me if half the places in the old Hanseatic league have anglicised names. We certainly anglicised the pronunciation of places in WWI  - the Wipers Times being a a famous example. And other words too; allegedly "plonk" came from "plink plonk" which in turn was from "vin blanc".

As you say the French do it too with Londres and Douvres and Pay de Galle, L'Ecosse, Les Pays-Bas, l'Allemagne, amongst others. 

• Like 15

1 hour ago, TheQ said:

A choice for school meals? Never heard of it. You got whatever sludge was put on your plate and had to eat it..

That sounds a bit like that communism that we were fighting in Vietnam against at the time!

In contrast we in the Free World  could  either take our own lunch from home, usually the afore-mentioned soggy sandwich with beetroot, or the  alternative of  ordering lunch at  the school canteen, which was manned by the Canteen Angels.

Who were actually just our mums on a roster.

You'd always hope that when it was your mums turn you'd be able to get a heap of free stuff, ice blocks, space food sticks, finger buns, .... but something about canteen duty always  made your mum change for the worse and she'd treat you just like she did  the other kids, no freebies.

For lunch orders you'd write what you wanted on a brown paper bag, with your name and class on it and put in the money and leave it in a box outside the school canteen. At lunchtime the lunch monitor ( not a lizard, which you'd probably expect in Australia, but  just an     actual kid who was on a roster) came around with the lunches in a milk crate and left them outside the classroom door.  Come lunchtime everyone would get to sit around in the shade of a spindly gum tree in the dust, to eat our lunch while bull-ants attacked us.

If it was winter there'd be pies and sausage rolls and tomato or chicken noodle cupa-soup on the menu. In summer it'd be sunnyboys and razzes. Which were basically pyramids of frozen flavoured ice.

Then we'd run around like mad in the heat until the bell  went off, at which point we'd go back to the hot classroom and stare out the window at the occasional lame willy-willy  stirring up the dust and  dried gum-leaves while the teacher droned  on about Burke And Wills , or the League of Nations.  Occasionally a blowfly would bang against the glass attempting to get out, they could be caught gently in your hands then you could lean across to Jenny-Lynne Warren  who sat in front of you and yank out one of her long hairs.  A loop   tied in the end  would  be placed around the flies neck and gently tightened, but not too much or its head would fall off, but if successful you'd have a kind of pet fly on a leash.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

I'll be 53 tomorrow, I have two teenage kids, it's pretty clear they think differently to me and have very different views to mine on many things. I have just as much right to my views as they have to theirs, and the views of older people also need to be represented. But I hope that if I live to be 80 (maybe a triumph of optimism) I'll have a view of 'leave me alone, but I've had my life, it's for younger people to figure out what sort of country they want'.

In ‘that’ referendum back in 2016 I asked my son, daughter and eldest grandson what they wanted their future relationship with the continent to be, and voted accordingly. In effect, I gave my grandson, who wasn’t quite old enough to vote, my vote.

Edited by BoD
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

Great to have Debs popping in - good to hear from you.

Barry - get well soon.

Skipping has happened mainly due to lack of time and absence of mojo.

It's been chuckinitdarn here for a couple of days now - but that hasn't stopped us from taking Lily to Church Stretton today - the wet dog smell in the car was amazingly strong.

Not a lot more to say.

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Friendly/supportive 13

46 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

With a menu like that, if they took the British attitude to exercise (i.e. basically just reaching for the TV remote whilst opening another bag of monster much) they’d be a bunch of larda**s instead of the bronzed, finely honed and chiselled Goddesses (and Gods) we admire and who install fear and panic into every British Athletic endeavour.

L unchtimes and recess spent running around under the sun like mad idiots,  playing Aussie Rules or British Bulldog kept us trim!

For PE twice a week we'd have to run into town and back -  around 10km.  Mr Clark, the mad WW2 veteran ex-Changi POW PE teacher would follow us in his Datsun and gently nudge the slower kids with his front bumper as encouragement.

If  the temperature hit 40 or more we still got to run into town but we were allowed to stop  at the pool   for a 10 minute swim on the way back.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 16

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

Or better yet unplug the phone and when BiL dashes round to 'find out if your alright' say 'Oops must have knocked it out when I was vacuuming, but thank you for dashing round to check on us. Now that your here though do you think you could take some of your crap from the garage please- you know the stuff that you said you'd shift three months ago. Thank You '.😆

Now that has possibilities.....

"You can unload your kid only after you've loaded up a boot full of crap out of my garage....."

4 hours ago, PupCam said:

That'll make a Bear laugh!        Clearly Captain C has no knowledge of the GE and Bear's exploits there 😂

The Bear.

The Legend.

2 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Baked beans belong served cold in a sandwich.

When you were aged 8 and were at primary school.

C'mon, own up....how much is iD paying you??

• Funny 15

3 minutes ago, polybear said:

C'mon, own up....how much is iD paying you??

Shhh.  I have to be nice to him. I don't get Gary The Parrot back unharmed until I have finished the 3D  modelling task he has set me.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

This has long bugged me about the "British" view of the world. 

Why are half the countries of Europe (and many of their cities) Anglicized for English speakers?

Is "Italia" too difficult for the British tongue? Or "Roma" or "Milano"?  Why is "Deutschland" called "Germany"?  (Of course the French do much the same thing - as in Angleterre - but at least that is a literal translation - like Estados Unidos.)

The weird thing is that despite centuries of rivalry/warfare, there are few French cities that are Anglicized. Of course the accent is lost on Paris and we do have some Anglicized departments - like Brittany, but there isn't a "Marsez" for example.

A degree of over-sensitivity on your part perhaps?

It is very common  for nations to have their own names for countries and cities.

You might be surprised to find out what we and the locals call:

Bergen - Mons in Belgium

Genf - Geneva

Breslau - Wroclaw in Poland

Koenigsberg - Kaliningrad (Russian enclave)

All of the above are German names for the places named.

Edimburgo is Spanish for a place you might be able to guess in Scotland but where did the "m" come from?

As for Hrvatska, I doubt most non-Slavic speakers could pronounce it let alone realise it is Croatia.  Ditto Srbija - Serbia.  Some of the name changes are undoubtedly due to pronunciation problems.  

But you touch on one of my bug-bears with "Marsez", where I assume the "z" is supposed to represent the "s" that does not  exist in Marseille.  

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

I forgot to mention, at breakfast I was joined by one of these.

Untitled.jpg.b7cc360c9197c2b5b29a2b3fde3ee720.jpg

Now my spider isn't very fluent, but I did gather that she was asking how to get to Bear Towers. So, being an obliging fellow, I told her (and made her a little spider sized map).

If Bear is concerned, he can always call the Swiss police!

https://www.dw.com/en/swiss-police-called-to-remove-spider-from-bedroom/a-41245861

• Like 1
  • Funny 16

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

A more fundamental question would be to ask why we even have so many laws and why are things like tax codes so complicated in the first place. 

Rabbit's suggested Politics/Sociology exam question: 'If a person has more laws in their society/country than they can remember, they have too many of them. Discuss *, with particular reference to the principle that ignorance of the law is no defence.'

* Though perhaps not on RMW ... 😉 

• Like 13
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2