The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

24 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Alka Seltzer is good for the wind.

Perhaps we ought to send planes out to sprinkle Alka Seltzer (other remedies are available...) over Storm Debi*?

* Who the hell named that one?  I suppose we were lucki not to have Storm Barbi, though we might get Storm Ken...

• Like 17
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

11 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

A school in  Villers-Bretonneux has this sign on it, though it'd be interesting to find out if the pupils still know why its there.

It might help if the sign were en Français.

Like so:

10 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Another permanent reminder across a school building and above the blackboards are the words:“N’oublions jamais l’Australie” – “never forget Australia”.

• Like 13

The main course: roast beef, stuffed Yorkshire pudding, cauliflower cheese, red cabbage, roast potatoes, gravy and horseradish cream.

IMG_4409.jpeg.67511b9b3ae4c34b7107aceb51a8f2a3.jpeg

The beef was just perfect (but could have been a wee bit hotter), the spuds were.... well, if they were a model railway they'd be Pendon or Copenhagen Fields,  the cauliflower cheese was rich and unctuous and the gravy was good enough to drink directly from the jug, I was a bit apprehensive about the stuffed Yorkies (stuffed with the crunchy scraps from carving the beef) as last time they were very salty, but this time: spot on.

The individual components may not be large portions, but all together - you certainly get filled up!.

Now dessert or not??? (and - of course - a whisky digestif)

• Like 15

Armistice/Remembrance/Veterans day continues in the form of the NFL's "Salute to Service" field 'decorations' - painted behind the end-zone and sideline staff (coaches etc) wearing vaguely military-inspired colours* in "tribute".

* A drab brown this year - available for sale, naturally. It's different every year. I find such things quite contrived.

Some of the college games I watched yesterday did something similar - with less hype and merch.

Oddly the NFL game I'm watching this morning is not so emblazoned - but the broadcaster made it the feature of their halftime show.

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

The main course: roast beef, stuffed Yorkshire pudding, cauliflower cheese, red cabbage, roast potatoes, gravy and horseradish cream.

IMG_4409.jpeg.67511b9b3ae4c34b7107aceb51a8f2a3.jpeg

The beef was just perfect (but could have been a wee bit hotter), the spuds were.... well, if they were a model railway they'd be Pendon or Copenhagen Fields,  the cauliflower cheese was rich and unctuous and the gravy was good enough to drink directly from the jug, I was a bit apprehensive about the stuffed Yorkies (stuffed with the crunchy scraps from carving the beef) as last time they were very salty, but this time: spot on.

The individual components may not be large portions, but all together - you certainly get filled up!.

Now dessert or not??? (and - of course - a whisky digestif)

I've just looked at his Christmas day offering , £ 275 , per person .

My first two week holiday to Spain cost less than that .

• Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 7

13 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

They just brought me the Whisky menu, one is: The  Macallan 25 years-old Double Cask (50ml).....,

.......£245.00!

Not unlike Rémy Martin Louis XIII Cognac - often as much as $500 for a 1.5 US fl oz pour (44ml).

The 750ml decanter* retails around $3,500. 

* Made by Baccarat, Saint-Louis, and Cristallerie de Sèvres.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 10

5 minutes ago, Sidecar Racer said:

I've just looked at his Christmas day offering , £ 275 , per person .

My first two week holiday to Spain cost less than that .

Is that including wines??? (probably not).

I tend to avoid Christmas and New Year's Dinners/Feasts/Banquets/What have you as I find them incredibly overpriced and - even with the more expensive places - it tends to be production line - almost industrial - food given the numbers of guests served.

• Like 9
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
49 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Surely they would have used something like "Saoirse" that has to be pronounced for you.

No, because it had to be a name that started with D.

Unless, of course, that is how Saoirse is pronounced.

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

We have had enough storms here thank you very much but had the Cornish named her she might have been Demelza (a place name thought to mean the hill-fort of Maledaf and borrowed by Winston Graham for a character in Poldark; now widely used as a girl's given name) , Delen (Petal), Derowen (Oak), Derwa (a Celtic saint possibly one and the same as St. Ia from which St. Ives is derived) or Dywana (a legendary Cornish ruler).  Delennyk if she turns out to be only a "little petal" 

The sky is weeping steadily but not as violently as it was earlier.  We a re not in the currently-predicted track of Debi.  

• Like 15
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2