The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Bear here.....

How's a certain planning job coming along?  Just three words:

"Turnouts"

and

"Baseboard Joints".

(See note one....)

Rattin'Fuggin'Piggin'Turdycurses.

OIG.jpg.aa5f74825a667ef83e863e98edf437d8.jpg

(Note 1:  Apparently having a Turnout across a Baseboard Joint is considered to be "Rather Bad Form".  TC's).

ION.....

Still no sign of Postie clutching several envelopes of interest for A Bear.  Poo.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Gold
56 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

Almost forgot. Happy 75th to GDB (or what's left of it). I hope that plenty of cake and at least one bacon sarnie featured.

Dave

@grandadbob will be having a very happy birthday after tonight’s rugby.   Whether he managed to watch his team’s game or not.

• Like 16
  • Agree 1

38 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Don’t spoil the track geometry, modify the baseboard. 

Given that he had a hatchet in his paw when he was 'modifying' it on the computer do you think that suggesting he  modify the baseboard would have a different result.

• Funny 15

@iL Dottore's and @polybear's film career continues to go stellar.

Just out is their Spaghetti Western reboot "Dio Ti Ama...  ...Io, No." ("God Loves You... I Don't")

DioTiAma.jpg.93d30abd32c9d86560c62ad7113318cf.jpg

The Guardian's film critic wrote "A hilariously violent fast-paced reboot of the Spaghetti Western genre by the son of the Godfather of Spaghetti Westerns - Sergio Leone. Polybear and iL Dottore are hilarious as a pair of mismatched lawmen trying to clean up a Texas town - as fast with their jokes as with their six-shooters. It's a Tarantino Western with a zillion jokes and an awe-inspiring body count. A Must See!"

Edited by iL Dottore
spelling
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Premium

Just catching up, so belated birthday wishes to GDB.

Gwiwer's comments about a wood burner reminded me that if there had been problems with it, they could have sat around a candle. If it then got really cold, they could light the candle.

Some say the old ones are the best, but others tell the truth.

• Thanks 1
  • Funny 18

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

Reminds me of when I lived in Singapore. There was an eatery in town called the Victory Curry House where they offered any Westerner who could eat a whole one of their super-hot Victory curries a free one on the next visit. It seemed a bit of a pointless exercise to me as the reward for burning your mouth and throat out was doing it again, although I did witness a few people who were obviously more testosterone fuelled than me trying. I quite happily put up with accusations of being a wimp as at least I could still speak on the way home.

Dave 

It seems to be very much a western thing, although a lot of SE Asian food is quite spicy it usually isn't that spicy (although there are exceptions) and people value taste more than heat. My wife is Indonesian Chinese and although a lot of Indonesian food can be quite spicy she finds the obsession of some British people with hot food a bit bonkers. She doesn't really eat much hot food (thinking about it, this is very subjective and some would describe the food she eats as hot) and my local friends and colleagues tend not to really eat particularly spicy food.

An exception is mala which is very popular in Asia, Chinese pepper and chilli, that can be brutally hot, phaal level hot. My wife and daughter love mala even though they don't eat a lot of hot food in general.

• Like 18

10 hours ago, Ian Abel said:

Rant Mode on

What is it with EVERY business establishment I've visited in the last two days, they ALREADY ALL PLAYING Christmas music NON-STOP <grrrrr>

Rant Mode off

Well Sunday is the first Sunday of Advent. Thanksgiving* was a week ago. Mariah Carey posted her "It's Time" social media post, as soon as Halloween was over. Children (and the not so young) have already opened the first window of their Advent calendars.

* Santa arrives in the last float of the annual Macy's Parade in New York City.

By now, it's hardly early for that sort of thing by any measure. The radio stations that switch to 100% winter holiday music did so weeks ago - or allegedly did according to their television advertising. I avoid them like the plague.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 13
  • Agree 4

After a week of freezing temperatures overnight, and unlike all the reports I see of frozen precipitation, we are now less cold with the onset of rain. It is snowing in the mountains - around 3' of snow is expected in the next day or so, followed by rain on top of the snow* early next week -which is a potential flooding combination in the problem spots.

* Due to a plume of warmer moisture all the way from Hawaii.

The second half of November was quite dry, so the precipitation is welcome. Despite the precipitation, we continue to flirt with accumulated dry/drought conditions resulting from a very dry Spring and Summer.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Premium

It reminds me of that old Simpsons episode 

1 hour ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Well Sunday is the first Sunday of Advent. Thanksgiving* was a week ago. Mariah Carey posted her "It's Time" social media post, as soon as Halloween was over. By now, it's hardly early for that sort of thing by any measure. The radio stations that switch to 100% winter holiday music did so weeks ago - or allegedly did according to their television advertising. I avoid them like the plague.

* Santa arrives in the last float of the annual Macy's Parade in New York City.

It reminds me of the Simpson's episode when a department store invented 'Love Day' to fill a gap in their sales calendar.

• Like 13
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, tigerburnie said:

It's not your mouth and throat you need to worry about, I've been known shed a tear the following day after fierce tindaloo............................................

And not every situation has Johnny Cash sing a song about it. 

7 hours ago, polybear said:

Bear here.....

"Turnouts"

and

"Baseboard Joints".

(See note one....)

(Note 1:  Apparently having a Turnout across a Baseboard Joint is considered to be "Rather Bad Form".  TC's).

ION.....

Still no sign of Postie clutching several envelopes of interest for A Bear.  Poo.

As already said,who says.  I have a joint in the middle of a single slip, it works fine. 

Jamie

• Like 12
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, polybear said:

Bear here.....

"Turnouts"

and

"Baseboard Joints".

(See note one....)

ION.....

Absolut ball cockspur..  whoever has told you that should look at Mike Esges layouts..

Baz

• Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Tony_S said:

Don’t spoil the track geometry, modify the baseboard. 

It was starting to go wrong anyway......

6 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

It's a Tarantino Western with a zillion jokes and an awe-inspiring body count. A Must See!"

Sounds promising.......

43 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

As already said,who says.  I have a joint in the middle of a single slip, it works fine. 

Jamie

Ah, but what happens when the switch blades are across the joint.....

39 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

........I have a chest I fetishism n. 

Huh??

• Like 13