The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Ohmisterporter said:

At my school it was drummed in by, "Similar to, different from" accompanied by a slap round the back of the head. Which may explain a lot.

Sounds like you went to a school with similar aims or, your teacher gained his English Language degree from Oxford as did all of ours at that time ... something else that would appear as 'discrimination' if such a requirement was on a current job description.

• Like 14

8 hours ago, Hroth said:

There's nothing wrong with Chrimbo, unlike your other examples!

(Its probably an Aussie coinage, so BEWARE!)

8 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

No way mate! I've NEVER heard it here, it is always Chrissie.

Nor I. Never ever heard it in Australia - or the US.

Not colonial - purely British.

Wiktionary says:

The OED cites the first printed usage (of the variant spelling Crimbo) as being in 1928. They give John Lennon's 1963 usage in a Beatles' Fan Club Christmas single as the first recorded use of the variant form Crimble.

The 1928 reference may not be Christmas related.

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

4 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

Words that annoy- 'roasted'. An Americanism one presumes.

OED

The earliest known use of the word roasted is in the Middle English period (1150—1500).

OED's earliest evidence for roasted is from before 1325, in Southern Passion.

Even in the US where you would find people saying "roasted vegetables", "roast beef" is the normal phrase.

This particular word lights up the linguistics blogs. There is an interesting frequency analysis here, with the following footnote:

• On skim(med) milk (which trends the opposite way)

• Note that BrE calls mashed potato(es) mash, but BrE speakers generally don't use mash as an adjective mash potato(es), and it's not common for AmE speakers either (in the GloWBE data). There's a different morphological difference, as indicated by my parentheses here.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 12
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

Since writing late this morning I've done a bit of modelling.  Just before I got lunch I looked round the living room and found one Christmas decoration hanging from the tide clock   I am sure I'd checked there was nothing still out.  Anyway it has been put away, fortunately there was space in one of the boxes.

After lunch I read a magazine and watched Father Brown which left me nicely relaxed.  I then rang the Nuffield Hospital in Newcastle to enquire about getting my hernia fixed.  They did the previous one 6 years ago which on the other side of my body so they still had my details on their system which made it easier.  The outcome is that they don't need a letter of referral, if the consultant wants to talk to my GP he will do so after he has seen me.  I have my initial consultation on Monday of next week (8th) at 6pm.  Surgery is usually within 2 to 4 weeks unless there are other issues.

Since then I've had a good talk with a friend on the phone about Christmas, the weather and societies about photography and other things.

Next on the agenda will be a beef sandwich and some yoghurt for tea, the local news, then Robson Green.  After that I intend to read one of my new books - an early Ann Cleeves novel before she invented Vera and others.

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 8

7 hours ago, Ohmisterporter said:

Last year a visitor from Australia was visiting Cornwall and got bitten by an adder. 

Was it on its holidays as well?

• Like 1
  • Funny 14
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, Ian Abel said:

Weather, -4c first thing, overcast with a high of 1c expected. Supposedly a 100% chance of precip tomorrow, mix of rain/slush/snow looks like.

You could work for the tourist office! Aditi mentioned to me earlier today she would like to visit Minnesota one day. I asked why and she said the scenery sounds wonderful in the novels she is currently reading. She is ignoring the fact that the books are full of violent criminals , except in Edina where respectable people reside! 

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

21 hours ago, PeterBB said:

… the disastrous stage of being 'accepted' as earlier the use of different 'to' rather than the correct different 'from' in the latest lexicon dictionary acceptable word usage.

7 hours ago, Ohmisterporter said:

At my school it was drummed in by, "Similar to, different from" …

How do you feel about “different than”?

• Like 9
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, pH said:

8 hours ago, Ohmisterporter said:

Last year a visitor from Australia was visiting Cornwall and got bitten by an adder. 

Was it on its holidays as well?

Our snakes have good taste 🤣

• Like 3
  • Funny 11