Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

49 minutes ago, PupCam said:

Have you tried that 15 miles from Luton?   

This is probably the best you can see  from here, moon or no moon 🤣

c3dbbd89a845bae29d20688030b2e995.jpg.54a405985310e626a31b4be102c535f8.jpg

I've got a 4.5" beginners reflector, with associated lenses on an equatorial mount, which I bought years ago when I thought I'd like to do some astronomising.   Sadly where I moved to a couple of years ago has no clear horizons and there are two bl@@dy high-mounted LED streetlights flooding the front and rear of the property.

Not being able to see the Milky Way is a minor problem, and the only star I see on a regular basis is the Sun!

• Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, NGT6 1315 said:

Fresh from the Bay of Pigs, I presume? 🤣

IMG_1550.jpeg.ada06a64b01da39c4f816aa8e2684e8d.jpeg

Me, “Have you heard about the seafood diet?”

Aditi “What’s that?”

Me “It is when you see food and eat it”. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 6
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 8

8 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Aditi “What’s that?”

Everyone that has or had a Labrador will know that the Seafood Diet is their pets favourite....

• Like 7
  • Agree 9

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, The White Rabbit said:

It is particularly aggravating as I explicitly checked with Dell first that the DVD drive was compatible.

Good luck with that. My Dell didn’t have an optical drive so,I bought an external Pioneer cd/dvd/bluray/4k external drive, probably from Amazon. I am sure if I had asked Dell if it was compatible they would have of course said yes. Plug it in and it will be recognised. However Microsoft haven’t included the DVD (or Blu-ray) software for a while now. So the drive will be totally compatible for data but not play films on DVD.If your web chat has a record of something like “will I be able to play DVD movies/films and they said yes, you may have a point but if you just asked about “compatibility “  I suspect not. I knew Windows 11 needed extra software for playing my film DVDs and Blu-ray Discs so bought it from Dell at the time of ordering the PC. 
Tony

• Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 6

4 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

I'm currently catching up on "Fargo",  that cold and snow and stuff just looks mental!  

In Chicago (where the lake is freezing right now) they joke about Minnesota having 9 months of winter and 3 months of rough sledding.

• Like 10
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
41 minutes ago, Hroth said:

I've got a 4.5" beginners reflector, with associated lenses on an equatorial mount, which I bought years ago when I thought I'd like to do some astronomising.   Sadly where I moved to a couple of years ago has no clear horizons and there are two bl@@dy high-mounted LED streetlights flooding the front and rear of the property.

Not being able to see the Milky Way is a minor problem, and the only star I see on a regular basis is the Sun!

Yes and now everyone around here thinks they need 5kW  "Yard Lights" just to put the blxxdy cat out too ....      It's mighty annoying.

• Like 3
  • Agree 8
  • Friendly/supportive 8

7 hours ago, NGT6 1315 said:

Freezing rain and severe flash icing conditions affecting large parts of the country have been forecast beginning this afternoon. Gotha, however, has 6 to 12 inches of snow coming up, apparently. That might turn out to be interesting indeed!

Hopefully we're soon done with last night's freezing rain. Nasty stuff.

4 hours ago, pH said:

A forecast 10 to 20 cm of white stuff is in the process of falling. Drive-shovelling awaits.

That's surprising. To your south, we're hoping for a thaw today.

Pre-dawn temperatures are right around freezing. My patio claims 33°F and my telephone claims 29°F. An average of around 0°C. Melt is happening (there's plenty of dripping) but the refrozen sleet + frozen rain combination on the pavement now has a thin layer of meltwater on top - making it extra treacherous - with an essentially zero coefficient of friction.

Rain and 7°C forecast for the middle of the day. I am looking forward to a return to "normal".  Wet and dreary will be welcomed enthusiastically.

Our micro-climates always surprise. While the valley saw freezing rain last night parts of the coast (50 miles as the crow flies) saw 10°C.

• Like 16
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

9 hours ago, PupCam said:

5kW  "Yard Lights"

5kK? 5kW would run up the power bill.

I like 5kK colour temperature, but the intensity can be too much. My next door neighbour has a motion-sensitive security light that lights up every time a cat/squirrel etc walks along his fence. The ambient light shines onto my bedroom ceiling and often wakes me up.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 15

25 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Everyone that has or had a Labrador will know that the Seafood Diet is their pets favourite....

Not just labradors I'll have you know but Schnauzers as well. Think Labrador but shrunk two sizes but having kept the labradors appetite.

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Tony_S said:

Aditi “What’s that?”

My friends young son (15) is also on a see-food diet.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. BIN day tomorrow, just the recycling so getting the reusable sacks sorted out. I have a few cardboard boxes that when folded flat are too big for the sacks but there is a bit of a breeze getting up and I don't want them spread down the street.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 16

2 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

In Chicago (where the lake is freezing right now) they joke about Minnesota having 9 months of winter and 3 months of rough sledding.

In Winnipeg, it’s 9 months of winter and 3 months of mosquitoes.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 15