The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

7 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

See, now YOU'RE messing with my head, like that @Smiffy2 guy!   I dont know whether you made this up and so are being very clever and really funny, in which case I'd  give this a "funny", or  is it actually true, in which case you'd get a "friendly/supportive"

I'm going to have to hold back and wait for the others!

Sorry dude. Please don’t sue me. 😉

• Funny 18

3 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

Or they could just have a list with my name ticked off.

But it's not going to be just you, is it? Lots of people will probably say they should be exempted too. Of course, you are a person with commonsense. But how does the RAAF know that? Far easier just to keep giving the briefings. Arses are covered. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 6

4 minutes ago, BachelorBoy said:

But it's not going to be just you, is it? Lots of people will probably say they should be exempted too. Of course, you are a person with commonsense. But how does the RAAF know that? Far easier just to keep giving the briefings. Arses are covered. 

?????????????  Hmmmm. I do the briefing the first time. I get my name ticked off. The end.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 10

4 minutes ago, BachelorBoy said:

The content and aims of most of these briefing and training sessions do seem like commonsense much of the time.

But, as has been noted on the internet before, a lot of people do seem to lack common sense.

There's no easy test for who's got commonsense or not, and whether they have the right sort of commonsense for this day and age, and so it's better to treat everyone as if they don't have commonsense. 

I guess in the past we would collectively have based our judgement for measuring a given level of common sense on what used to be described as “What a reasonable person would be likely to believe, understand and or act upon”…..

But there in lies the rub. 

We collectively are no longer dealing with what, in the past, could be generally and fairly acceptably described as ‘Reasonable People’. 

Litigation has come festering in. Now in some cases of death resulting from gross negligence, particularly in the work place, then it was long over due. Real world Consequences to actions or inactions. Fair enough….basically if you are in charge and someone dies and you’ve been making huge profits and cutting safety then you should get what’s coming to you. 

But no win no fee cases are increasingly being settled out of court with little if any real substance because if someone sues you for something you are going to have to pay legal fees either way. 

Corruption of the system to line peoples pockets. Suing someone for PTSD for something someone said to you about your T shirt or something you saw written on someone else’s  T shirt. Or because the film you went to watch didn’t display a warning of something and you have suffered trauma as a result…..etc etc etc…..victim culture. It’s a real money maker. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

6 hours ago, Grizz said:

The view across the valley was beautiful this morning. However it is possible that someone in Eastbourne may just have had a gas cooker malfunction incident……looking at the odd bit in the clouds and the ensuing fireball.

IMG_3416.jpeg.971259e2cda820f574730d5aee59f631.jpeg

I think it's an Imperial Star Destroyer cloaked in cloud cover delivering something.

• Funny 16

• RMweb Premium
50 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

?????????????  Hmmmm. I do the briefing the first time. I get my name ticked off. The end.

Try that during the safety briefing on an airliner and see where it gets you.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 10

3 hours ago, southern42 said:

Interestingly, though, in my first teaching appointment, I attended a teachers' in-service training session on children's speech. This was in London. We have the spelling and pronunciation wrong! It is Bowsanarras. All one word! 

When I was in infants I asked the teacher how to spell “thisafternoon ”.

i was most put out that I had “this” in my spelling book. I knew how to spell “this”, I’d never clocked they were two words when my Mum said it!

• Like 9
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 4

No real world consequences….world run by psychopaths…..who all have this in common. It is always someone else’s fault, and those people don’t matter…in fact NO ONE ELSE MATTERS…….

• Like 14
  • Funny 2

As I have been reading these various posts mentioning training, "awareness", common sense or lack thereof), Captain Cynical has been reading over my shoulder.

He proceeded to make the trenchant observation that a lot of the things that get us in the west tied up in knots are regarded as pointless, useless or simplistic by a number of powerful countries. Many of whom are really serious world players!

He then proceeded to put forward his three key principles to address most of the above:

1. You give people instructions clearly and simply once. And if, say, they wander on to a runway and get killed by a landing helicopter because they didn't pay attention to the instructions "don't walk on the runway it is dangerous and you could get killed", then tough.

2. Everyone deserves to be treated with consideration and courtesy and everyone should be treated the same. And you return this consideration and  courtesy that is offered to you to others in the same way. Furthermore, there should be NO special treatment or exemptions because you are a member of The Church of The Baked Bean or whatever.

3. Yes, sometimes it IS your fault. If you want to reap the profits of success, you should also accept the price of failure. Being a grown-up means taking responsibility for all your actions. Don't play the victim!

He concluded by adding that if you insist on having a democracy (CC prefers an enlightened dictatorship), then you have to accept that there will be winners (the majority vote) and losers (the minority vote).

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 2

2 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Every time I go to a flying base (eg RAAF Williamstown, RAAF Darwin etc) that has aircraft operations I have to sit through a safety briefing which goes for about 15 minutes but is basically "Planes are dangerous, so stay away from  the runway". I've been going to these bases periodically for 20 years or so to install IT infrastructure  and have yet to even see a runway.

You have obviously paid attention then and the courses did their job!

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 8

7 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

was out of the house at an outrageous 6:30 am and the M60 was

You have 60 "M"s?!?!  

We are up to I think 9?   - and thats with skipping  M number  6, which  is being built ATM.  

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 1
  • Funny 14

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Grizz said:

Sorry dude. Please don’t sue me. 😉

Big mistake.  You’ve just admitted that (a) it happened, and

(b) you’re liable

You’re Toast

• Funny 17

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, monkeysarefun said:

It appears to be an accepted fact in organisations that training and briefings do not stick in the mind.  A briefing is assumed to be forgotten if you change role, go off site, get ill etc.  Training  needs to be renewed every year, if not sooner.  We had to sit through various videos year after year.  The funniest was Lifting and Shifting.  It advised that if you had a heavy load such as a bucket (of soil or stones in our case) you should split your load, suitably illustrated by showing two little buckets, one in each hand. We only had one size of bucket, but carrying two was definitely better for your back, so we actually doubled our load.  

• Like 13
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

23 minutes ago, polybear said:

Big mistake.  You’ve just admitted that (a) it happened, and

(b) you’re liable

You’re Toast

Thank you @polybear!

(drafts email to Alina Habba, Attorney at law, outlining case.....

Ends up owing  @Grizz$800,000,000,000)

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 16

11 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

You have 60 "M"s?!?!  

We are up to I think 9?   - and thats with skipping  M number  6, which  is being built ATM.  

Yeah we do but lots of them are clustered and some are very short.

Some counties don’t have any…like East Sussex. And West Sussex only has a tiny bit of one around the (Pease Pottage, Crawley to just north of Gatwick) approx. 5 miles.
Much to the ever lasting shame and anger of the Sussex Highways Concrete Over the World lobby (who are politically appointed to positions of power and influence with the respective councils) but now are just really a front for massive private companies. 

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

12 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

I sub contract to a sub contractor who sub-contracts to a certain UK defence company who had a bit of a sticky situation involving brown paper bags and  Saudis. As a result I and my sub-contracting fellows have to undertake a yearly ethics training course. Which is a powerpoint presentation where we get to role-play the various characters. 

"Dianne notices that Bill is sending mysterious emails that contain classified documents  and also has recently bought a Lamborghini.

Should Dianne

A) Ask Bill where he got the money?

B) Tell Stan, her supervisor about her concerns?" 

C ) Ask Bill for a ride in his Lamborghini?"  etc etc ....

D) Dianne should email the mysterious email recipient and offer to do it for a Mercedes, he is clearly overpaying Bill.

• Funny 19

13 minutes ago, Grizz said:

Yeah we do but lots of them are clustered and some are very short.

Some counties don’t have any…like East Sussex. And West Sussex only has a tiny bit of one around the (Pease Pottage, Crawley to just north of Gatwick) approx. 5 miles.
Much to the ever lasting shame and anger of the Sussex Highways Concrete Over the World lobby (who are politically appointed to positions of power and influence with the respective councils) but now are just really a front for massive private companies. 

Gotta admit that   the Dick Turpin legend lacks a lot now  given that he'd be going all "Stand And Deliver!" on the M45 or something. 

• Funny 12

4 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

D) Dianne should email the mysterious email recipient and offer to do it for a Mercedes, he is clearly overpaying Bill.

Thank you, I shall suggest that, and see what happens!

• Funny 12