The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

1 hour ago, monkeysarefun said:

In addition, the government could grant you land for farming, which you were free to do in the hours that you weren't fulfilling your government work. In this way, many convicts from  places like the Thames Estuary, who would have never had any hope of owning land back home due to the British class system, found that they were eligible for 50, 100 or 200 and more  acres of land as a grant to farm and build a livelihood upon. 

Very few convicts returned "home"  to their former situation after their sentence was completed.

There was a similar arrangement here in BC with enlisted men in the Royal Engineers (“sappers”). The Royal Engineers were the biggest British Army presence here in the early days of European settlement.

At the end of their enlistment, they had the choice of paid passage back to the UK, or a grant of land here. By profession, these were people who had been continually employing skills needed to clear land, build on it (sheds even!) etc. so many chose the second option. Like monkeysarefun says about the convicts in Australia, enlisted soldiers would never have had any hope of owning a similar amount of land in the UK.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Hroth said:

No, but I was thinking of making some corned beef hash some time ago, and the price of a can of corned beef put me off the idea!

Depending on how big a hash you want to make (  see what I did there , 😀 ) I find this

way to purchase is economical . 

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/314708576

• Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Puppers - is the surgery offering trials of blood pressure medication in co-ordination with a manufacturer?

• Like 1
  • Agree 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, pH said:

Puppers - is the surgery offering trials of blood pressure medication in co-ordination with a manufacturer?

I wouldn't be surprised!

As Terry Wogan would have said; "Is it me?"

• Friendly/supportive 14

5 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

We have a moral and ethical responsibility to ensure that our companion animals are happy and pain free for as long as they can live. If you can't or won't take on that responsibility you shouldn't have a companion animal.

THIS... I can't agree more, our animal family members deserve the utmost respect, care and love we can provide them for a happy life!

• Like 7
  • Agree 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium

Goodnight all 

• Thanks 3

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. I almost forgot to take this evenings antibiotic capsule. In fact I was unsure if I had taken it at all but a quick count proved that I hadn't taken it so I've just done so. I didn't fancy any chips so tonights dinner was a couple of fried egg butties.

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Barry O said:

Nope..its everyone who has achieved a point in life when you become less than amazed by the unprofessional attitude of so called professionals.

Our late great colleague Chris f would have siad.. "Checkpoint Charlene "...

Yep!

Baz

It calls to mind Michael Goves infamous and misquoted comment about experts. I can't stand the guy but that particular comment was actually pretty well observed and reasonable (the media generally omit the bit about experts getting it wrong). A modern variation is 'listen to the science', an idea which is antithetical to the scientific method of testing the hypothesis and which if taken to its logical conclusion in the form advocated by many talking heads would put an end to further advancement in knowledge. I get the point that science should be challenged by substantive, rational argument and by reference to evidence but what we see a lot of if a quasi-religous faith in particular scientific fields which views any attempt to question as heresy.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 11

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Tony_S said:

Aditi said the Australian waiters were very kind to them. Aditi and her sister wouldn’t eat the British style food served in their restaurant so the waiters got Indian food from the crew mess. 
Tony

When I was at sea and sailed with Asian and Caribbean crew it was very common for British officers especially to eat the food from the crew mess. 

• Like 12
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

11 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

On pensions, I think the UK should copy what a few other countries do and replace our money defined contribution pension system with a retirement savings and investment account where you get the same tax incentive (it comes off gross pay) but you manage it and when you retire you decide what to do with it.

I'm not so sure. My first employer offered a traditional pension. Ever since I've had the system you describe - usually in the US under an investment fund called a 401k.

There are usually a lot of elective investment knobs to turn and people who do not understand investment strategy can really struggle. Swings and roundabouts of course. Having all your money in the hands of 'irresponsible' pension fund managers is not a good thing either.

• Like 7
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5

12 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Actually for the majority of those deported the Thames Estuary was their last ever sight of blighty as there were many prison hulks moored in the estuary waiting for the next ship to Australia.

Many prison hulks, aka ships in ordinary, were indeed in the Thames Estuary. I'm not so sure that many of the convicts ensconced there ever left.

The first fleet departed from Portsmouth.  It's not so clear where the others departed.

The Active (in the third fleet) departed from Plymouth. Others left from Portsmouth and Cork.

According to this site, Irish convicts were shipped out of Dublin and Cork.

EDIT:

Random samplings suggest a lot of sailings from Portsmouth. The Pitt left Yarmouth Roads on the Isle of Wight in 1791.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 15

10 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

the other one in Brisbane

Moreton Bay* was the name for the Brisbane settlement, removed from the less satisfactory location of Redcliffe. Like everywhere else there was a separate place for the hard 'uns - the patriotically named "Saint Helena Island" (in Waterloo Bay**, bordered on the south by Wellington Point). There must have been some event they were proud of to think up those names.

** An inlet of Moreton Bay (and home).

* Per: "Moreton Bay"

I've been a prisoner at Port Macquarie, Norfolk Island and Emu Plains,
At Castle Hill and cursed Toongabbie, at all those settlements I've worked in chains;
But of all those places of condemnation, in each penal station of New South Wales,
To Moreton Bay I've found no equal: excessive tyranny there each day prevails.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 10

10 hours ago, Ian Abel said:

Today, back working and have an afternoon meeting with someone up the food chain from me to discuss my "annual goals"!

Ian, it's nice to see you today. So where do you see yourself ten years from now? 😉

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 14