The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

I think that I have to (partly) disagree. Certainly most DIY grade power tools do not undergo the sort of heavy use that power tools get when used in a professional capacity, but there’s the issue of replacement parts and set up.

Many tradesmen in the UK (in particular those working on Site) prefer cheapo stuff nowadays - the pro stuff gets nicked far too quickly to be worth the (much) extra outlay.  The cheapo stuff is worth buggerall so doesn't get nicked so often.

9 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Now this, I think, is something that should be clearly labelled (and in large print). If people buy (say) a Captain Cynical Industries Cake Safe, they are expecting a CCI GmbH quality Cake Safe, not something from 北极熊工业(中国) - Polybear Industries (China).  Rebadged/third party products should be clearly labelled - in this case < Cake Safe. Made for CCI GmbH by 北极熊工业(中国) - Polybear Industries (China).>

I'll have you know that a Polybear Industries (China) Cake Safe has NEVER, EVER been broken into or stolen, despite holding the "Crown Jewels" of Cake.  Nuff Sed.....

• Like 3
  • Funny 13

6 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Very popular here - this brand in particular: Ego. Lots of models, readily available.

That's interesting. Bosch are the dominate one here with very little competition. Whether that's due to the size of the market, or possibly the size of gardens, I'm not sure. Price does also play a factor.

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Hroth said:

But does the Cake Safe(tm) sometimes start to whiff because Bear has forgotten the combination to open it?

A Polybear (TM) Cake Safe is far more advanced to require a mere combination.......

ION.....

Contractors have arrived rather unexpectedly to cut/trim the bluddygreattree outside Bear Towers.  Oh good - it'll make life rather hard for the rats with wings to sh1t all over Mickey for a year or two.

BG

• Like 5
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 13

Talking about sad comedowns for brands, Eumig used to make nice 8mm projectors.

The last time I saw a Eumig branded product, the logo was attached to a portable beachball/airbed inflator being sold by Aldi.

And for connoisseurs of former British radio and TV brands, Alba and Bush are now applied willynilly to rebadged Chinese stuff sold by Argos.

• Like 10
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium
43 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

Mrs W's car has car play but she still keeps her TomTom with infinite map updates close by for when it decides to have no signal.  Tried to get her to use Google with offline maps downloaded but she prefers the Apple map / voice.  Ironically it's my10 year old car which she prefers for longer journeys as it is more comfortable than her 6 month old Yaris.

For what it's worth, the latest Apple Maps has offline maps. I've not needed them yet, but have set them them up Yorkshire ready for my trip to the NYMR later this year in case I forget closer to the time.

Funnily enough, my wife also prefers my larger car to her Aygo for longer journeys.

• Like 16
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

It is a fairly dull morning here. Not raining or windy though. We cut the grass yesterday. The blade on the mower needed replacing so one has been ordered, ready for the next cut.  
I recently purchased another 3 years of satnav map updates. They are updated every month . I think it was about £130. Maps cover Europe and Russia. 
Not a lot planned for today but I expect some of the interior window cleaning will be subcontracted to me.

Tony

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium
41 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Talking about sad comedowns for brands, Eumig used to make nice 8mm projectors.

The last time I saw a Eumig branded product, the logo was attached to a portable beachball/airbed inflator being sold by Aldi.

And for connoisseurs of former British radio and TV brands, Alba and Bush are now applied willynilly to rebadged Chinese stuff sold by Argos.

Unfortunately it is rampant. Nakamichi made one of the finest examples of audio engineering ever with the Dragon casette deck. Despite the limitations of the format the depth of engineering and sheer quality of the Dragon was quite staggering. Now the name is used on cheap throwaway BT earbuds and such like by a company which bought the name. There's a company using the Yashica name now, Yashica made some fine cameras under their own brand and some of the finest 35mm cameras of all under the Contax brand. Which highlights an interesting point, we whinge about low end companies using great names, but less so at the other end of the spectrum. Yashica used the old Contax name for their high end stuff and despite using the old Zeiss brand name and marketing the lenses as Zeiss  despite their production being with Yashica and Cosina (though Zeiss did do design work) nobody worried about it. 

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

8 minutes ago, jjb1970 said:

I certainly live in a politicized world of acronym organizations, I am more tolerant of nonsense from NGOs, lobbying groups and government departments as in those cases you know they're pushing an agenda and you adjust your expectations. the problem is a lot of this stuff is not from that world but from academia and academic conferences where I'd expect better. That said the same individuals are often on various governmental and NGO advisory boards, provide consulting services to policy makers etc. I have no issue with scientific investigation taking us wherever it takes us in knowledge, that's pretty much what science is meant to do. I don't even have a problem with basic errors in methodology if honestly made and if people admit and correct mistakes (correcting a mistake is commendable and what any of us should do if such is pointed out). If I attend an academic conference where those presenting papers and findings are supposed to be presenting research and findings I have a much lower tolerance as such conferences are supposed to be knowledge focused.

I think a lot does depend on the field of science. I used to attend a metallurgy conference. Those who attended were metallurgists and, generally working in the field of boilers or turbine blades. That is a very important but rather unglamorous field and tends to be by-passed by most. The result is I found the quality of papers tended to be very high and the discussions rigorous. Most of the funding was from the likes of GE, P&W, RR, Alstom, Siemens etc to develop new turbine blade and steam plant alloys but the nature of the work meant the source of funding didn't have the same effect as grants were issued to investigate and develop new alloys, advances in welding, heat treatment etc which very few will ever be aware of. Unfortunately it was hard for me to justify continuing my attendance when I no longer work in the field of power plant and turbines so I now mainly attend conferences based on emissions. Because it's a trendy area of science with more sources of funding than you can shake a stick there seems to have been a corrosive effect. If someone speaks under a banner of Greenpeace or Exxon that's one thing, if they speak under the banner of UCL or Manchester University it is something else. Something that has struck me is just how little of the papers are primary research in upper atmospheric science, combustion thermodynamics, alternative fuels production etc, most of it is modelling emissions pathways to tell us we need to reduce emissions. I often feel like standing up and saying 'it's a good job you have discovered we need to reduce emissions, nobody knew'. I point the finger at an over reliance on some of the wealthy philanthropic organizations as there's a lot of chasing of the major grant disbursements on offer. That said, I find conferences in places like the Republic of Korea and Japan very different, those ones are much more focused on primary research and solutions development.

Reading your post I recalled seeing a program on TV a few years back where they were going round a RR engine manufacturing plant. When they got to the part of the plant where the turbine blades were manufactured they weren't allowed in because it was a trade secret. They did though give a rather generic description of the process - growing crystals if I recall, but it was fascinating to reveal some of the science needed.

I wonder whether the lack of 'basic' research is a reflection of the demise/reduction of the engineering base of some countries. It is notable that the two countries you cite, South Korea and Japan both still have sizeable engineering bases.

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, polybear said:

In the news:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-68381160

It includes this:

"Its owner, Drax, receives money from energy bill payers because the electricity produced from burning pellets is classified as renewable and treated as emission-free."

"In fact, the power station emits about 12 million tonnes of carbon a year, but under international rules the UK doesn't have to count these emissions.

All of the 6.5 million tonnes of wood pellets burned by Drax each year are produced overseas. Many come from Drax's 17 pellet plants in the US and Canada."

Huh?  And what about all the emissions generated by the ships transporting the pellets to the UK?

FFS.

The worlds of biofuels and biomass are not especially edifying. The ship emissions are probably the least of the concerns, there are multiple issues around biofuels in terms of both sustainability (land use change, potable water demand etc) and GHG emissions (depending on system boundaries some are worse than just burning oil). However there's a lot of money to be made from them. Even in industry a lot of companies are highly sceptical because of the risk of being named and shamed when that 'sustainable' fuel is outed as being palm oil grown on land which was cleared of rain forest and such like (despite having all the right certification).

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 11

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, polybear said:

I'll have you know that a Polybear Industries (China) Cake Safe has NEVER, EVER been broken into or stolen, despite holding the "Crown Jewels" of Cake.  Nuff Sed.....

How do you dispose of the severed fingers of those who have dared to invade your cake safe?😁

• Funny 13

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

Well, it's raining again, but that doesn't matter as I'm staying inside again today. Although I'll have to keep going to the workshop to cut the flooring regularly. Anyway, best getamoveon. 

Back later. 

Brian 

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

How do you dispose of the severed fingers of those who have dared to invade your cake safe?😁

With the rest of the body…..

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 16

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Not a bad night last night, more than six hours sleep despite a few interruptions from bladder control. Not a lot to do today except finish the dashcam installation. 

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Premium

On my car there is a flap* that opens up in the centre of the dashboard that seems to be ideal as a smartphone holder, however my friends young son has just discovered the sat nav on his smartphone and uses it at every opportunity so I just give him the address where I'm going. *Something to do with the in-car entertainment. 

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 19