The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

8 hours ago, TheQ said:

Me thinks that graph must be for American factory beef.

The data would still be accurate. If the required water falls as rain on the cattle fields, great - they still need that water. A large portion of the water used to raise beef is in the feedstock. If that is just grass grown by the rain that falls on the grazing field - great.

• Like 11

8 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

agriculture starting in the Middle East in Iran and Iraq centred on rivers such as the Euphrates which flooded annually due to the Monsoon.

Tigris and Euphrates is Mesopotamia/Iraq - not Persia/Iran.

The Karun River in Iran does join the Shatt al-Arab* (no tittering in the back please) a little downstream of Basra.

* Where the Tigris/Euphrates watershed heads to the Gulf - it is also the Iraq/Iran border.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 8

6 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

And they don't harvest  1.3 million tons  of them like California in 2022 for instance. 

Got to support all those double-shot, half-caff, almond lattes with a foam top somehow.

• Like 6
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium

I had a session on the phone with the Internet supplier today.

I've been getting requests to initiate extra authentication for my eMail but I've been putting it off by clicking on "will do it later".  Later came today.

They wanted to send me an authentication number to my wireless phone.  That I don't got.

Called service, sat on hold for 10 minutes, then talked to a nice chap who immediately understood the problem, put me on hold for a couple of minutes, and said that I'd never have the problem again.

The cargo ship Dali has been reported as having a length matching the Eiffel Tower and the Empire State building. Dayle didn't think it could be both. A bit of search and it's neither but it is less than twice the length of a standard Toronto subway platform.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 15

28 minutes ago, BR60103 said:

The cargo ship Dali has been reported as having a length matching the Eiffel Tower and the Empire State building. Dayle didn't think it could be both. A bit of search and it's neither

It's pretty close to one - certainly a first order of magnitude:

Eiffel Tower - 300m high (described as "Architectural height")

Eiffel Tower - 330m high with antenna

Empire State Building - 380m high at the top floor

Empire State Building - 443m (with antennae etc)

MV Dali (length) - 300m (299.92m)*

* Don't know if that is length at waterline or projected stem to stern linear distance.

Perhaps it should be described as three football pitches long? 😉

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 16
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1

11 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

There is also a severe environmental disaster caused by the monoculture  with so many almonds. there isn't enough variety to support many bird and insect species Including the bees that are needed for pollination. 

Yes. The bird populations are particularly threatened - many point to monoculture as a root cause - either related to triticale* harvesting in the case of the tricolored blackbird, or pesticides killing their food (insects etc), or (inevitably) climate change.

* A wheat/rye hybrid for cattle feedstock.

Linked articles are not new. This was much more in the news some time back. I'm not sure populations have rebounded. Empirically I see fewer blackbirds here, but that's not a 'scientific' observation.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 10
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

8 hours ago, DaveF said:

Then Satie Trois Gymnopodies this year at No. 148

I like his Gnossienne 1 - ir brings to mind a cold and rainy Paris weekend in late Autumn. A weekend ripe for either romance or intrigue.

Unlike many other solo piano pieces also works well on both classical and electric guitar.

Even by the standards of ER (and of musos in general), Erik Satie was pretty weird. But he had a French father and an English mother, which probably explains an awful lot!

• Like 13
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 1

7 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Even by the standards of ER (and of musos in general), Erik Satie was pretty weird. But he had a French father and an English mother, which probably explains an awful lot!

So is that Curley Fires and Baked Beans with the Frog Legs and Snails then? 

• Like 1
  • Funny 17

A rather erudite set of posts as of late. Sometimes ER does come across as a den of knuckle draggers and then - as if out of nowhere - erudition and good taste bursts forth.

Anyway, as we are talking about “classical” music, on ER’s mirror thread (TNM) some posters have opined that much of “modern” (say post 1930) classical music is unmusical to the point of being unlistenable. And as much as I cherish music of all types, I would agree.

At one of my yearly visits to the Bregenzer Festspiele, they were celebrating a Benjamin Britten anniversary (birth or death, I don’t remember which). One of the pieces featured was his opera “Death in Venice“. It was beautifully staged, beautifully costumed and beautifully lit, but the music was painfully godawful – the usual jibe about such music, <sounds like cats being strangled>, was very apposite in this case. And one of the most frustrating things about the opera was that as soon as the music suggested that it might become tuneful, the tune was strangled at birth.

In the past, I have expressed my disdain for ecclesiastical “happy clappy, Jeezus luvs U“ music. However, there is a contemporary composer who produces not only beautiful and very listenable modern “classical“ music, but also superb pieces for ecclesiastical use. I include two links below for you to enjoy over your cornflakes this morning. 

It is the Estonian composer Arvo Pärt. This is some of his ecclesiastical music Nunc Dimitis and The Deer’s Cry

A million times better than the usual “happy clapping” church music you far too often nowadays get. I am firmly of the opinion that any ecclesiastical music should reflect the power and the glory of the deity of your choice.

And now for the achingly beautiful Spiegel in Spiegel (which he has also scored not only for cello and piano, but also violin and piano)

Much, much more enjoyable than the Benjamin Britten style “cat strangling“ far too many modern so-called “composers“ go for.

Edited by iL Dottore
Typo
  • Like 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

33 minutes ago, Grizz said:

So is that Curley Fires and Baked Beans with the Frog Legs and Snails then? 

Good God, THAT’S a disturbing image for a Tuesday morning: a French @polybear

Edited by iL Dottore
Wording
  • Funny 17
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Bear here.....

MIUABGAD methinks; I have a reminder to drain & refill the CH system with new Inhibitor - it's a bit of a PITA job but it'll feel good when it's done and crossed off the list so it looks like that'll be Bear's mission for this morning.  After that - who knows.....

BG

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

The data would still be accurate. If the required water falls as rain on the cattle fields, great - they still need that water. A large portion of the water used to raise beef is in the feedstock. If that is just grass grown by the rain that falls on the grazing field - great.

A large proportion on said liquid is recycled out of the rear of UK cattle, fertilizing the grass and the water content continues into the ground with only a slight delay. What the US does with the liquids in their factory farming I don't know.

• Like 13
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

10 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

@Dave Hunt - all the best

Of classical music - I'm not averse to some and hold my late father's 800-strong CD collection including a very wide range across the genre and somewhat beyond.  He was quite a fan of "earlier music" too.  I am slowly listening to them but at the rate of one or two a week I might not get through the mall.  I suspect he never did either as a few have turned up still in their sealed cellophane outers.  They are catalogued but listing composers and works means nothing to me if I haven't heard them.  

So the 3-2-1 goes like this 

Also-ran: Pictures at an Exhibition (specifically the Barry Douglas piano solo version or the electronic one by Isao Tomita)

Honourable Mention in Dispatches; Carmina Burana (which dad always insisted would bring about the end of the world if everyone on the planet simultaneously hit the strident D-major in "O fortuna")

3.  Rite of Spring 

2.  "Rach 2" piano concerto

1.  Saint-Saëns "Organ" Symphony with the volume turned up above 10.  

For me it'd be    "Anything Is Possible" By Lara Trump.

What a multi-talented family they are, thank you American Justice System  for letting them still be out of jail  so they can continue to  do things like this -  be the first "singer"  to  get autotune to throw its ams up in despair.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 10