The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Don't believe everything you read, I myself have discussed the matter with representatives of the deep fried mars bar and pot noodles marketing board and been assured that there is no healthier lifestyle than living on a wholesome diet of deep fried snack foods.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 15

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

Both Sheila and I aren't on, or do any sort of social media. The closest I get to it is on here! I personally don't see what all the fuss is about. From what I can gather, it seems to be full of self important wannabes and conspiracy theory nut jobs. 

Edited by BSW01
  • Like 11
  • Agree 4
  • Round of applause 3

• RMweb Premium

Although, come to think of it............ 

• Funny 12

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, jjb1970 said:

Does anyone know what Linkedin is for? Other than as a platform for shameless self-promotion by lower wrung social climbers or virtue signalling by corporate big wigs?

I keep getting whinged at by our corporate comms supremo for not being on social media and ignoring Twitter, Linkedin, Facebook etc and ignoring suggestions to (re)join. I had accounts and saw no value in Linkedin, concluded that Twitter was a sewer and a magnet for the sort of nutters any sensible person avoids at all costs and get fed up of Facebook because I couldn't see much useful for all the junk clogging up my feed. And frankly have no wish to go back.

However there seems to be an assumption in certain parts of the corporate world that everybody in the world is on Linkedin and some people just seem to collect contacts. People seem genuinely taken aback when they ask about my Linkedin account and I tell them no, not on it, not interested and no intention of joining. Facebook then? No, not on it, not interested and no intention of joining. Twitter? I'd rather poke my own eyes out. Next.

I'm not a technophobe and like many aspects of online commerce and information exchange but I really struggle to see any value in some of these platforms. This may be a rant. Sorry. And I am aware of the irony of ranting about social media on what is a form of social media.

I closed my Linkedin account for the same reasons and to keep clear of it everything from them goes straight into my spam folder.  Twitter, although I subscribe I usually ignore though it does sometimes have something to interest me but there's too many weirdos on it. I do use Facebook as I've been on it for years and as well as a few groups that I run it was useful for Andy to keep us informed if there were any problems with RMweb. The problem with Facebook is that it is far from user friendly, far less so than it used to be.

• Like 7
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 2

I'm on LinkedIn but not active - it has it's uses when between jobs.

Some companies have incentive schemes linked to shared articles, original articles and views/likes to get their staff doing stuff.

My profile pic no longer looks like me and dates back to when my children were actually children.

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Not having done any shopping since Saturday the cupboard is bare so I'm off to Tess Coes Shortly. Just had a call from the hospital to book an internal examination of my bladder, just to make sure that everythings as it should be. I had a similar examination about twenty five years ago, a bit of minor discomfort when the anesthetic wore off but nothing else.

• Friendly/supportive 17

1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

*Well, not too terribly weird, I have a human skull on my desk whilst my GP friend has both a human skull AND a bear skull on his.

While clearing my Mums house last year I found this up in the (converted) attic. I thought I’d better not take it to the council recycling depot, didn't want to cause an incident. 
I took it to sisters to dispose of as it was her property. Syd and Hovis weren’t interested.

IMG_6344.jpeg.302e97df29c1ed690ddaa5a08a08d245.jpegIMG_6345.jpeg.1b61f88ab7ef5b0d624c910b4a6923e1.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 11

Trafford Centre is looking to introduce paid for posh parking outside selfridges with ANPR tech.

Bigger spaces for larger cars and families who use Selfridges.

Says in the Upper Peel Car Park - do they mean outside.....in the rain lol

• Like 12
  • Funny 1

1 minute ago, woodenhead said:

Trafford Centre is looking to introduce paid for posh parking outside selfridges with ANPR tech.

Bigger spaces for larger cars and families who use Selfridges.

Says in the Upper Peel Car Park - do they mean outside.....in the rain lol

Given the standard of parking that occurs and there some what 'dillitantory' enforcement of the few parking restrictions that there are sounds like a money raising scheme.

• Like 11

7 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

Given the standard of parking that occurs and there some what 'dillitantory' enforcement of the few parking restrictions that there are sounds like a money raising scheme.

Especially since the people who really care about their posh car currently park downstairs near Selfridges out of the elements and an elevator (probably wont use the escalator) away from the shop entrance.

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1

27 minutes ago, Erichill16 said:

While clearing my Mums house last year I found this up in the (converted) attic. I thought I’d better not take it to the council recycling depot, didn't want to cause an incident. 
I took it to sisters to dispose of as it was her property. Syd and Hovis weren’t interested.

IMG_6344.jpeg.302e97df29c1ed690ddaa5a08a08d245.jpegIMG_6345.jpeg.1b61f88ab7ef5b0d624c910b4a6923e1.jpeg

Tiss amazing the things that 'parents' acquire.

• Like 5
  • Agree 6

6 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

Especially since the people who really care about their posh car currently park downstairs near Selfridges out of the elements and an elevator (probably wont use the escalator) away from the shop entrance.

All to avoid having to pay for more staff to patrol. I seem to recall that they were losing money hand over fist.

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

2 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

Tiss amazing the things that 'parents' acquire.

Its my sisters, found with her old medical text books. I think it was given to her by a GP friend of my dads. Must admit it was a bit of a shock when I opened up the carrier bag. 
I have another similar story but thats for later. 

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 14

No social media for me. Originally because it was not a great idea because of work but now on grounds of not wanting to participate in such activities. On leaving the Navy, I was told (in almost these words) that it would be impossible to get a job without joining LinkedIn. I have every intention of not following that order and proving them wrong….

• Like 19

10 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

All to avoid having to pay for more staff to patrol. I seem to recall that they were losing money hand over fist.

It was sold to a Canadian Pension company and by the number of cars in the car park at weekends I think financially it is probably getting back on track.  I am glad I can just walk to the place when I need to, I wouldn't want to have to try and park.

Mind you yesterday I got a taste of what it must be like for the poor souls who have to drive there.  Our local Sainsburys has been cut off from half of our town by gas work and we can only enter from one direction currently and it's the worse of the two directions.  Yesterday popped out to the shops not realising this work was in existence.  The car park was rammed - but not with parked cars but with cars trying to get out which in turn blocked lots of parking spaces and stopped people entering from being able to park adding to the queues. 

Apparently it will be like this for a week, so no Sainsburys for a bit unless on foot or I park on the nearest main road.

Driving used to be fun....

• Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

45 minutes ago, Erichill16 said:

As the top of the skull has been removed with a very clean and even cut, I suspect this must have been a teaching skeleton. Given the state of the jaw (my understanding is that teaching skeletons are fully dentulous) it might have been from someone who donated their body to a teaching establishment and died without many teeth (or the teeth could have just fallen out and been lost).

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 9

7 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

As the top of the skull has been removed with a very clean and even cut, I suspect this must have been a teaching skeleton. Given the state of the jaw (my understanding is that teaching skeletons are fully dentulous) it might have been from someone who donated their body to a teaching establishment and died without many teeth (or the teeth could have just fallen out and been lost).

Samurai warriors were quite handy with a sharp implement, you never know.....

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 10

I wonder if I might impose upon the worthies here for some advice, given that we have modellers of skill and resource?

My daughter-in-law's father died last year, and she was greatly upset. Last month she visited - he lived in Spain - to find some mementoes to remember him by, only to find that most had been thrown away. She did find, however, a model plane (he was a keen amateur pilot) but in packing it her mother broke it into pieces, bent pieces at that.

This is how it is now.

RS2_2039.jpeg.5287a569f9140ec957a7fa39eeb0f8db.jpeg

RS2_2040.jpeg.0b7ce1ee032d9f64c3d1e5a0a75662ad.jpegRS2_2041.jpeg.52489cd5e440ea2e63f1274bbd9d91ad.jpegRS2_2042.jpeg.82882ecd9a21204574679fb76332af07.jpegRS2_2043.jpeg.c32194ade135f2ef71c701c827a43798.jpeg

It is very heavy, and may have either been a kit, or has been repaired in the past - signs of superglue. 

What advice would you give a chimp who is desperately keen not to screw this up, as it would mean so much to her to see it fettled and standing on a proper plinth. The metal doesn't seem to be too brittle (I've partly straightened the airscrew with my fingers) but I know how casting metal goes...

I've also cleaned and  fettled one of his film cameras (Nikon F60) and found a film in it which I've sent off to be processed. I'm planning to use that camera to take a 'family portrait' of Dan & Rebecca and have it framed as a memento.

So any sound advice would be extremely appreciated. TIA.

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 13