The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, Smiffy2 said:

In the brief period of my life in which I worked for an estate agent, yes, downstairs rooms were referred to as 'reception rooms'. Probably not the dining room, unless you were stretching it.

And some of the stories I could tell...

I have only ever associated the term “reception room” with estate agents. We have a lounge and dining room though there are no doors between the two, just a double door sized archway. 
IMG_0199.jpeg.7b56ab04f5812c188c34a1507a1804b5.jpeg

We usually eat in the kitchen, where there is a dishwasher but no washing machine. I am fairly certain that the reason for washing machines being in the kitchen in the UK was due to it being the only downstairs water supply, and drain access. 

• Like 15
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

2 hours ago, Erichill16 said:

In need of comfort food today. I have been trying to cut down on UPF, but not today. IMG_8668.jpeg.d2031d0e1b1c3813e085a63c3cf3ec5f.jpeg

That's quite alright just so long as there all natural ingredients and you don't make a habit of it.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 11

Hmm. Receptions Rooms -----> house plans....

I'd say you need (ground floor) a living room (aka reception room), dining room, library/study. a snug (like a living room but smaller with comfy well worn [and worn-in] furniture), a decent sized entrance hall plus downstairs "guest" toilet (WC). The kitchen should be of a reasonable size with a "proper" walk in larder. If budget (and building footprint) permits - then a music room and/or a billiard/smoking room are very nice nice-to-haves. A proper "boot room" leading out into the garden/side entrance is a big must if you have dogs and/or a Percy Thrower in the family.

It goes without saying that an adjacent garage and a decent sized shed should be mandatory outside fixtures.

Upstairs: an appropriate number of bedrooms - preferably all en-suite. To keep SWMBO contended (as far as they can ever be) at least one bedroom should have an adjacent walk-in wardrobe/small dressing room.

The attic can be converted into a "man cave" for when it's too cold for shedding.

Edited by iL Dottore
  • Like 12
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

I'd say you need (ground floor) a living room (aka reception room), dining room, library/study. a snug (like a living room but smaller with comfy well worn [and worn-in] furniture), a decent sized entrance hall plus downstairs "guest" toilet (WC). The kitchen should be of a reasonable size with a "proper" walk in larder. If budget (and building footprint) permits - then a music room and/or a billiard/smoking room are very nice nice-to-haves. A proper "boot room" leading out into the garden/side entrance is a big must if you have dogs and/or a Percy Thrower in the family.

It goes without saying that an adjacent garage and a decent sized shed should be mandatory outside fixtures.

Upstairs: an appropriate number of bedrooms - preferably all en-suite. To keep SWMBO contended (as far as they can ever be) at least one bedroom should have an adjacent walk-in wardrobe/small dressing room.

The attic can be converted into a "man cave" for when it's too cold for shedding.

What, no utility room/ plant room - or is that in the basement?

• Like 13
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

adjacent walk-in wardrobe/small dressing room.

My nephew was telling his parents that his then girlfriend’s house had bedrooms with walk-in wardrobes. He asked why didn’t his family house have such things. Matthew was there and said “so what, I have a walk-in bedroom”. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 14

27 minutes ago, Captain Cuttle said:

You have my sympathy, i have had night sweats for several years now. Combination of low testosterone, 3PD and other issues. I only drink decaf tea and coffee now but sometimes a glass of watered down merlot but it can be debilitating with palpitations as well. I dont think this very unseasonable dreary spring weather helps do you?

Sorry to hear your sweats but mine arn't that frequent and usually associated with periods or stress.
I did used to drink far too much caffeine but now limited but none after 6ish, doc’s orders.

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 4

22 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Is that a description of ‘the holiday hovel’, your town house or CC’s Alpine redoubt? 

• Round of applause 2
  • Funny 15

2 minutes ago, Erichill16 said:

Sorry to hear your sweats but mine arn't that frequent and usually associated with periods or stress.
I did used to drink far too much caffeine but now limited but none after 6ish, doc’s orders.

Do you keep a window open at night for fresh air?  Have you had a glass of water late on so you are not dehydrated.

I know I always get a terrible night's sleep in hotels - hot sweats and palpitations - and I've put that down to dehydration and stuffy rooms.

At home it has to be really cold before I fully shut the window, even in a gale I'll have it open a crack where it can be locked in position.

Like you no late night caffeine any more, in fact hardly any caffeine at home and normally reserved for journeys to keep alert.

• Like 12
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

23 minutes ago, Andy Hayter said:

What, no utility room/ plant room - or is that in the basement?

In Swiss houses the utility room and plant room are in the basement - together with the air raid shelter/wine cellar.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 13

5 minutes ago, Erichill16 said:

Is that a description of ‘the holiday hovel’, your town house or CC’s Alpine redoubt? 

Basically, it's rough description of Schloss iD - although spread out a bit (the library/home cinema is on the first floor, the office/study is in the dachraum [which also doubles as a guest bedroom] and the snug - also on the first floor - has been turned over to storage for i) Mrs iD's wardrobe overflow and ii) my library overflow + guitar collection).

Unfortunately, we have neither a boot room or a proper larder and the kitchen is tiny...

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

2 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

Do you keep a window open at night for fresh air?  Have you had a glass of water late on so you are not dehydrated.

I know I always get a terrible night's sleep in hotels - hot sweats and palpitations - and I've put that down to dehydration and stuffy rooms.

At home it has to be really cold before I fully shut the window, even in a gale I'll have it open a crack where it can be locked in position.

Like you no late night caffeine any more, in fact hardly any caffeine at home and normally reserved for journeys to keep alert.

As i said not usually a problem, room usually 18C but having windows will disturb swbo and the dogs. I think the sweating would occur regardless of the ambient temp. 

• Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. I have a Utility room, designated as such when the house was built but there is no provision for drainage though water is accessible. The nearest drain is 3.5 metres away at the far end of the corridor kitchen. The only other room downstairs is a large lounge dining room. Upstairs there is two bedrooms and a bathroom. The biggest bedroom I use as a storage/hobby room and the smaller bedroom is where I have my bed and also where I have several bookcases that are more than full. Also the bookcases upstairs are arranged along supporting walls as books are heavy.

• Like 14

6 minutes ago, Erichill16 said:

As i said not usually a problem, room usually 18C but having windows will disturb swbo and the dogs. I think the sweating would occur regardless of the ambient temp. 

Have you tried one leg and/or arm out of the bed covers so that a part of your body can use that to cool you down?

Generally I sleep on my right side but if I am hot I swap to the left and have by back exposed so my trunk cools - doesn't disturb Mrs W but I get some relief from heat under the duvet

• Like 9
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Smiffy2 said:

A reception room is one in which you receive people who visit you. That simple!

The fact that the original post mentioned that it has  3 of them caused my original confusion.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 9

1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

I have only ever associated the term “reception room” with estate agents. We have a lounge and dining room though there are no doors between the two, just a double door sized archway. 
IMG_0199.jpeg.7b56ab04f5812c188c34a1507a1804b5.jpeg

Hey my reception room number 3 or whatever it'd be called there  is painted almost the exact same colour!  

PXL_20230123_123816666_MP.jpg.4644846bcfb078f95338c3dd6e523b68.jpg

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Funny 16

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

The fact that the original post mentioned that it has  3 of them caused my original confusion.

That's for when you have guests who hate each other.

• Like 6
  • Agree 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 5

18 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

That's for when you have guests who hate each other.

But surely they'd just punch-on on the front lawn like they do here and save you the renovation costs to accommodate their feuds?

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 6
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Hey my reception room number 3 or whatever it'd be called there  is painted almost the exact same colour!  

Nearly every wall in my house is painted that colour, Dulux Matt Magnolia. 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 2

2 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Nearly every wall in my house is painted that colour, Duluth’s Matt Magnolia. 

Dulux Beach Sand here, and if you bought 4 litres you got a free 4 litre tin of jelly snakes or jelly beans.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 4