The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

Just spent 15 minutes looking for the envelope that contains the donation to the MRC for exhibiting on Saturday.....

It was sat on the laptop I use to do banking for the MRC..

A Bluey in UK military parlance, is the blue Envelope / writing paper, that can be posted for free to / from military personnel serving overseas.

The other bluey's meaning drives from ,  " blue pencil Lord Chamberlain " try typing that in for a clue..

Just had" This server is temporarily unobtainable " on screen

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 18

4 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Coke and Meth  seems to be the drug of choice these days, with analysis of waste water showing that Sydney's affluent* Eastern Suburbs leads the country in coke consumption, while most drug sniffer dog operation s and random roadside drug tests are mainly performed in the less salubrious western suburbs.

And until the affluent and influential are subject to the same "anti-drug" policing etc (stop and search, "no-knock" raids, confiscation of anything and everything belonging to anybody in the vicinity of "the criminal" etc.) that seem to always target the poorer classes, you'll continue to have a drug problem.

Cocaine is especially pernicious. The drug of choice for many in the entertainment industries* and amongst the wealthy, users are often protected by money and influence.

Ironically, coca leaf preparations were first used by Andean civilizations to combat the effects of cold, hunger, and altitude sickness, especially amongst the poor. Now, according to the drugabuse.com (a website for a rehab centre group) Cocaine has a reputation as a “rich man’s drug.” According to the World Drug Report, Cocaine in the US costs between $25 and $200 a gram, with typical prices checking in at about $112 per gram - so definitely a "lifestyle" drug for the rich and louche.

But of course, the plod goes after the poor B*****s who get hooked on street bought painkillers and similar "cheap" drugs.

* many in the entertainment industry have admitted to burning through thousands of dollars of cocaine during their (ahem) "wild years"

• Like 14
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, DaveF said:

had to look up Bluey so now I know it is a series about a rabbit.

Australian Heeler dogs. Other dogs appear as well.  I sat and watched some really awful cartoons when Matthew was little.  He liked  them thiugh  and some were  very amusing. I would have enjoyed Bluey, my niece recommended it.  She is 7.  Her family don’t have Disney so they haven’t seen the famous cricket episode though their dad listened to the review on Test Match Special. 

• Like 11
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, polybear said:

Bear has been looking at other hols (in addition to, not instead of Malta).

One search (Lisbon) came in at £129 FOR A WEEK (NO, NOT NIGHT) 😮  Huh?

Oh, hang on....it's in a Dormitory.....Poo.

Whoa there Bear!!  It's in an 8-Bed FEMALE Dormitory.....

I Like Lisbon already.....

So you are going to self identify as Polina then?

• Like 1
  • Funny 18

• RMweb Gold

As a result of the falling out of a bunk, Aditi requested Matthew to please reserve a bottom bunk in future. He had reserved a bottom bunk in a hostel somewhere he was meeting up with other geography students, in Bulgaria I think. When he went to his reserved bunk there was a female already installed. There were no other lower bunks available. Management were not interested but one of the other students who knew Matthew swapped his lower bunk. 

• Like 3
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, polybear said:

Bear here.....

Wanderin' wandered.  Tick

And.......

I finally managed to find the missing Credit Card - it was dangerously close to the point where I was going to give up all hope and get it cancelled/replaced.  YAHOOOOOOOOOOOO...........

And where was it?  The Great Sofa God had scoffed it - shifting the sofa and tipping it over (not easy as it's a steel-framed leather recliner = bluddy heavy) revealed all (which included loads of dross that required the services of Mickey the Miele to clean up.  Huge Tick awarded.

Bear gone....

How much loose change did you find down there?

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. In this part of the world we are assuming that the the total eclipse going on in the USA has no effect here. But not so, The whole of the English east coast will be affected by high tides caused by the gravitational pull of a new moon and the sun. Flood warnings have been issued in low lying areas and the Thames barrier has been closed. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 12
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

1 hour ago, PupCam said:

.    He has a long ladder plus a stand-off but is basically too much of a coward these days re-enforced by statements such as "You're not going up there on that ladder, it's not safe".   

Thought @polybear would be able to help you out on that one. 

• Funny 17

• RMweb Premium

Evening all,

Two thoughts for the day (what's left of it...):

1)  https://www.theguardian.com/society/2024/apr/08/the-birthday-effect-why-your-big-day-might-be-your-last 

2) 

14 hours ago, polybear said:

....  sooooooo much crime is linked to drugs that it's about time we REALLY got serious about it.  ... 

12 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

.... The way to effectively address the drug problem is to firstly remove the profitability from the drug trade (by making illegal drugs so cheap through legalisation and sale through government shops) that the criminal elements would abandon the trade ... 

If organised crime were no longer able to make money from drugs, what would they turn to? Without getting into how best to deal with the drug problem or wider questions of morality, justice and punishment, I do wonder what would fill the vacuum should drugs suddenly cease to be a money tree. Would that - whatever it was - be better or worse for society? 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 17

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

How much loose change did you find down there?

Not so much as a single sixpence ☹️

I did find a few pills though.....oops....

16 minutes ago, Erichill16 said:

Thought @polybear would be able to help you out on that one. 

Oh, I see.....let's all send Dispensable Bear up the tall scary wobbly ladder instead...... 😱

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 14
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

We already have that.

Perhaps the answer is to round them all up and put them on a island ....... Oops being told we can't do that as it would have an adverse impact on the island. This might take some thought.

Don't even THINK about it!

We have enough trouble with the alcoholics.....not for nothing was the place once described as '80 thousand alcoholics clinging to a rock'.  I don't think it is the problem it was in the past, but every department seems to have an office p!sshead.

• Friendly/supportive 19

2 hours ago, PupCam said:

Puppers is in need of a scafold tower.  He needs to get up to the soffit/facia to deal with some maintenance issues.    He has a long ladder plus a stand-off but is basically too much of a coward these days re-enforced by statements such as "You're not going up there on that ladder, it's not safe".  

What puppers needs is a Bear who is used to working at heights...

OIG2.jpg.4eba2b331e57da48cbacf9863812721a.jpg

...who also has his own state-of-the-art, high tech safety equipment...

bearonladder.jpg.3dd0fcf385e4279f9a8956c400a3b389.jpg

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 14

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, DaveF said:

and found that in every case a surprising amount of travel on the boats would be at night

Not a river cruise but have you considered a cruise to the Norwegian Fjords in summer. It is quite light at night and the scenery is pretty spectacular. 

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, The White Rabbit said:

I do wonder what would fill the vacuum should drugs suddenly cease to be a money tree.

Counterfeit products …

• Like 1
  • Agree 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

Ladders can be unforgiving, or rather the terra on which they stand.  One company I worked for had much technical input and support from a man who was a world-renowned professor at a leading university.  Sadly he fell from a ladder at home and died so our company had to delve very deeply into his field of expertise to continue the work.  For many years we paid significant royalties to his widow but it would have been far better for everyone if he'd not come off the ladder.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Not a river cruise but have you considered a cruise to the Norwegian Fjords in summer. It is quite light at night and the scenery is pretty spectacular. 

I think this is what I will look at next.

David

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold
On 05/04/2024 at 23:52, Tony_S said:

Banda copiers. 

It was only ever Geography teachers who used more than one colour carbon paper.

I guess you already knew that.

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 3